Does anybody here own a new US made Guild D40, D55, F40, F55, etc.? Reviews?

Bob Aldo

Reaction score
I would love to see personal reviews from owners of the new California made Guilds. Strangely, I haven't seen any here.
Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough. If that is the case, then my bad. Sorry.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think we had some folks with the D-20, Bob, and there is one user who I think did take delivery either a D-55 or F-55 (I don't recall).

There is a disappointing review somewhere by txbumper about playing one of those in the store.

That's all I recall.

Personally, I'm really interested to hear someone report on an F-40. Pretty certain no one has had their hands on one of those (here) yet.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Played a new D40 at Action Music in Falls Church, VA and it sounded and played great. Have not played other Guild maker's D40s but hear good reviews. The price tag of $2300 for new vs $800--$1200 for good used has steered me away from new.

docfishr

Reaction score
Yeah, The California Guilds will likely need to be around for a few more years before they show up here in any numbers.

phinegan

Reaction score
$2300 for a D40? Is that the street price? There going to have to do better than that.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My guess is they would get on the South side of $1800 but I am more intereste1200.a good NH or Tacoma or Westerley at $800--$1200.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My guess is they would get on the South side of $1800 but I am more intereste1200.a good NH or Tacoma or Westerley at $800--$1200.

yeah, totally my take with new Guilds. why bother when there are so many more quality built for way way less. it's a tough position for Guild to be in really, and that is why they really lead with the MIC collections.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting historical perspective: Back in 2009, we had very similar discussion about used Guilds versus the (then) new New Hartford Guilds. I can't recall if it was actually one of the NH employees that said this or just one of us here, but someone very astutely observed that the biggest competition to new Guilds is used Guilds. I think that if the price disparity between new and used continues to grow, this observation becomes as true (or truer) today than back then.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I work part-time at a guitar store, and we're a Guild dealer. We've sold one of the satin D40's, and currently have a satin and a gloss D-40 in stock. both are nice, lightly built guitars that sound great and play great, and compare well to similar guitars in the same price range.
I'm not a fan of the satin finishes (seems like everyone's doing some satin finished guitars these days), but I have to admit the guitar itself is pretty dang great.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
but someone very astutely observed that the biggest competition to new Guilds is used Guilds. I think that if the price disparity between new and used continues to grow, this observation becomes as true (or truer) today than back then.

oh totally. really speaks volumes to how impressive the Guild used market is. super robust. speaks volumes to the build quality of these old guitars.

Reaction score
Hey there Stuball48- I read the forum, but don't write much, but after Wood's comment on the MIC guitars I thought I would throw my .02 in. Last year I picked up four GAD (made under Fender's ownership) guitars....an F150R, F40E, JF30Bld, and 30PCE...I have been extremely pleased with all of them, but at the time had never played an MIA Guild recent enough to remember anything about it. I was in the Seattle area over Christmas and had a day to hit a few stores...got to play a few....a NOS F30 and CO1, new M20 and D20, and a well used D4, plus several of the new Westerly series, including a D125 side by side with the D20. All were great guitars, with no problems in any area I could see...and even though I wasn't there to buy, I almost bit on an OM240CE at one point, and then the used D4...super deals....but my wife would have not been happy. The only disappointment of the bunch was the MIA F30, but I believe only because the strings were old and the action high. Anyway, the D20 was a great sounding guitar, looked perfectly made, but if I was buying just for the sake of playing, I couldn't see the 2x price difference...basically $600 vs $1200. Like many of the folks on the forum (maybe only some?), it gets really hard for me to justify another $2000+ guitar....but for some reason I can buy a bunch at the $500 range which would add up to one very nice MIA. Not much logic to follow here, huh? Maybe someday.
And, to top if off, last month I acquired a GAD 40CESB, and a GAD JF-48E....both in near perfect condition (the F48E actually came through MIRC) and a pleasure to play. Both were $399 + $50 shipping to the most convenient GC for me, which happened to be in LV....I was going down there for our Spring Break. Hand-carried them back to Alaska. I have told my loving wife that is it, I'm completely MIC Guild done. For now.
Good luck with your quest!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I work part-time at a guitar store, and we're a Guild dealer. We've sold one of the satin D40's, and currently have a satin and a gloss D-40 in stock. both are nice, lightly built guitars that sound great and play great, and compare well to similar guitars in the same price range.
I'm not a fan of the satin finishes (seems like everyone's doing some satin finished guitars these days), but I have to admit the guitar itself is pretty dang great.
How much for the D40?

Mark WW

Reaction score
I think we are in the minority on the GAD's here. I have owned 3 and still have 2 a GAD40ce and a GAD G212. The GAD30 I gave to my son and he still has it. I think they are built very well and the ones I have sound great and I played a ton of acoustics including US made Guilds (at the time) before I purchased.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Oops! Did not check to see where you were. I will find a good used D40 or might spring for D46.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks Westerly but got a "hang up" about shipping even when no risk to buyer.
I have a D40 located near son in VA and will visit him last of monthm

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks Westerly but got a "hang up" about shipping even when no risk to buyer.
I have a D40 located near son in VA and will visit him last of monthm

oh me too, i don't do the whole shipping thing either :)

Reaction score
I believe so....and I believe from all the comments and my own limited experience, the vast majority of USA Guilds are really, really nice guitars....no question about it. There are very few things that over my life I have become "die hard" about, but I do understand folks who just don't hear the tonality they want from a MIC compared to a MIA, and I am very glad for all of us about the variety out there, new and used, and that Guild is still around as a premium manufacturer.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....it gets really hard for me to justify another $2000+ guitar....but for some reason I can buy a bunch at the $500 range which would add up to one very nice MIA.

Ha! I was in the same boat. Bought a bunch of used Epiphones over a number of years. Really liked them. Then realized, hey, I could sell a number of these and get a really nice guitar! Sold a bunch and got the Corona-built JF30-12 and the New Hartford-built F50R. I liked the Epiphones. I'm ecstatic about the Guilds!