Does anybody here own a new US made Guild D40, D55, F40, F55, etc.? Reviews?

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had the same impression about the neck on my Ox F55e. Its just a little shallower than my NH D55 but makes a difference in playability. The overall dimensions of the F55 are the same as the F50, so I find it odd that the Ox D55 seems a bit smaller than a NH D55. I'd be curious as to what the dimensions are.

Clyde - me too. Off the top of my head, impressions from earlier today and playing the NH 55 for
awhile tonight... the overall body thickness at the lower bout on the Ox 55 seems
a bit less, and the width of the lower bout also somehow feels less - at least that's what
the underside of my right upper arm where it rests against the guitar is telling me...

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Clyde - me too. Off the top of my head, impressions from earlier today and playing the NH 55 for
awhile tonight... the overall body thickness at the lower bout on the Ox 55 seems
a bit less, and the width of the lower bout also somehow feels less - at least that's what
the underside of my right upper arm where it rests against the guitar is telling me...

I remember Tx also said the Ox D55 seemed slightly smaller to him when he tried one.

Specs from the Guild website on the Ox D55:

Body Depth Upper Bout 4″ / 101.6mm
Body Depth Lower Bout 5″ / 127mm
Body Length 20″ / 508mm
Body Width Lower Bout 16″ / 406.4mm
Body Width Upper Bout 11 5/8″ / 295.3mm

My NH D55 also has the same dimensions as this. Maybe the website hasn't been updated...

I wonder if DueNrth could mesure his new Ox D55 so we can verify?

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think I may just have to bring the NH 55 back to the shop and play the two side-by-side!

I'm a long time customer, I'll ask, I don't think they'd mind if I did that and took some careful measurements
while I was there.

Just took a couple of measurements on the NH D55, at the endpin the body
depth is 4.915", width at widest point of lower bout 15.937"

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I think I may just have to bring the NH 55 back to the shop and play the two side-by-side!

I'm a long time customer, I'll ask, I don't think they'd mind if I did that and took some careful measurements
while I was there.

That would be awesome, if you can manage that, I'm sure a lot of us would love to hear your impressions on this side-by-side comparison!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
(think that's what it came with (12-53)?"
Yes, and that IS what Guild has always considered "light" gauge, but they're coated ever since New Hartford.
You may want to try some uncoateds first, and if you try something like D'Addario Ej-16's, (a pretty popular suggestion around here), give 'em a couple of hours of playing for initial extreme brightness to settle down.

DueNrth

Reaction score
Sorry, been out of pocket for a week or so, I'll measure the Ox D55 as soon as I can....

jcwu

Reaction score
Yes, and that IS what Guild has always considered "light" gauge, but they're coated ever since New Hartford.
You may want to try some uncoateds first, and if you try something like D'Addario Ej-16's, (a pretty popular suggestion around here), give 'em a couple of hours of playing for initial extreme brightness to settle down.

Or, go my route, and stick with the coated strings, where the brightness is already settled down due to the coating. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Or, go my route, and stick with the coated strings, where the brightness is already settled down due to the coating. :)

Right, but in the post I replied to he mentioned he was looking for a little more "subtlety" than the factory coateds he still has on the guitar, which I think is more likely with uncoateds.
After they settle down.
And have some kids.
:emmersed:

Bob Aldo

Reaction score
Perhaps my final report on my 2 new Guilds

The D-20, after only one year, has opened up amazingly, and become my favorite acoustic guitar.
Initially, I found it too trebly. But the bass has really come forward with time (so little time!).
After trying every type and gauge strings imaginable I went back to PB uncoated mediums.
The guitar plays like a dream, and sounds exactly right. I have been ignoring my D-40 traditional more and more
because of this, and may decide to sell or trade it.

jbkatia

Reaction score
I would love to see personal reviews from owners of the new California made Guilds. Strangely, I haven't seen any here.
Perhaps I haven't looked hard enough. If that is the case, then my bad. Sorry.

I have a Oxnard, California D-55. Finished and released in late May. Bought it a few miles away from the factory in Ventura in early June. It's so good. Check my post from early June 2018.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Chaz, your comment in #8 refers to Frank U's comment at LMG 1, in reference to them building Guild electrics in the future...pretty sure :biggrin:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting historical perspective: Back in 2009, we had very similar discussion about used Guilds versus the (then) new New Hartford Guilds. I can't recall if it was actually one of the NH employees that said this or just one of us here, but someone very astutely observed that the biggest competition to new Guilds is used Guilds. I think that if the price disparity between new and used continues to grow, this observation becomes as true (or truer) today than back then.

Chaz, your comment in #8 refers to Frank U's comment at LMG 1, in reference to them building Guild electrics in the future...pretty sure :biggrin:

You might be correct but I also recall a similar comment being made in a discussion about which acoustic models might be considered for production in New Hartford "down the road".

Regardless of the source, there have been several discussions on LTG claiming or observing that new Guilds have a lot of competition from used Guilds and speculation about whether that is true for other brands.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I owned the Oxnard D 20 and it was a fine guitar and one I was very happy with and happy to own. I got into a bit of a jam and had to sell off some gear and that was one that I sold. I wish I hadn't

I also just recently picked up the Oxnard F 40 and I'm enjoying this one a ton. It's a big motha with a big sound and really sweet tone(s). I bought it as used but it looks like new and is as close to mint as anything I own.

Bob Aldo

Reaction score
My D-20 used on a song I wrote on youtube

Good to read the D20 is coming around!

Here is a new youtube video. The audio is very good. It is just me singing a country song I wrote, called
"Just Like Tears In The Rain" (yes, after the line in Blade Runner),
and playing the Guild D-20. The slideshow with it didn't load very well for some reason (old dogs, new tricks).
But I think you can hear that the guitar has opened up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=nz-5Qgi4_w4​
By the way, I am in New Mexico, not New Zealand (as youtube may think?).

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here is a new youtube video. The audio is very good. It is just me singing a country song I wrote, called
"Just Like Tears In The Rain" (yes, after the line in Blade Runner),
and playing the Guild D-20. The slideshow with it didn't load very well for some reason (old dogs, new tricks).
But I think you can hear that the guitar has opened up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=nz-5Qgi4_w4​
By the way, I am in New Mexico, not New Zealand (as youtube may think?).

Hmm I think I got it

https://youtu.be/nz-5Qgi4_w4

Cool nice playing and singing .