How an Electric Guitar Works

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've got a pile of articles that I've been working on for months about how pickups work. A guy on Reddit recently published this and I think it's about the best thing i've ever seen on the subject. I don't think it's entirely accurate from a physics standpoint, but it's close enough that the principles are well communicated.

https://animagraffs.com/how-an-electric-guitar-works/

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
GAD:
Very good article and agree -
very well communicated, even, to a layman like me. Thank you for sharing.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Agreed - the animation helps in understanding - at least for me!

walrus

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Highly informative and outstanding page design!
Animations are incredibly well rendered,
what a knock-out presentation - thanks for the link!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
He's got some really cool stuff in addition to the guitar one, too. Worth checking out the rest of his site.

matsickma

Reaction score
Good article! I never heard it described before that "the metal string becomes magnitize" in the presence if the pickup magnet. That may indeed be the physics. In electrical engineering parlarance you would say by Faraday's law of induction the vibrating string in the presence of the magnetic field would induce a voltage in coil of copper wire which then is the output of the guitar.

Actually their are a number of "laws" at play including Ampere's law, Lorentz, Gauss and others. Depends on the pickup design. These same laws also apply to loudspeaker design and microphone design.
All these "laws" may sound confusing. That is because different scientist discovered different aspects of E&M. The complexity and confusion all got straightened out a little over 200 years ago when James C. Maxwell tied it all together with four vector differential equations formally known as Maxwell's Equations. If I recall correctly Maxwell actually dedicated his work to Faraday. I beleive Faraday was his Physics professor. Faraday wasn't a mathematical guy. He found fame when he first documented Induction but fell out of favor when other scientist beleived the universe had an either that allowed E&M waves like light to travel. Once Maxwell published his work and showed no either was required for E&M wave propagation Faraday became extremely famous because he had extrapolated his induction law to also allow propagation. Maxwell gave a copy of hus equation treaties personally to Faraday.
Final factoid...somewhere around 10 to the -48 seconds after the Big Bang electrons formed and their movement created E&M fields and waves!

M

matsickma

Reaction score
One other subtle point from the article...

On the illustration showing the humbucker function it would have been better to have shown the lower frequency sine wave as the signal cancelled and the higher frequency as the one with increased amplitude. That is because 60Hz hum is what we normally "pickup" and the higher frequencies of the guitar are amplified.

In addition a comment as to why different guitars with identical pickups is in order. The sound is different because the entire electro acoustic "circuit" that includes the wood characteristics, shape, metal parts, bridge, etc has a frequency response and that also gets transfered through the pickup.

M

geoguy

Reaction score
Very cool graphics! That fellow has a knack for presenting concepts clearly for others to understand.

RE: the magnetized strings . . . I'd always assumed the vibrating string needed to be partly made from ferrous steel, because the string's own magnetic field had to interfere with the magnetic fields from the pickup's magnets. And thereby produce time-varying voltages in the coil that get amplified and converted to sound.

But perhaps that author is correct. And we all know how to spell "assume".

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Good article! I never heard it described before that "the metal string becomes magnitize" in the presence if the pickup magnet. That may indeed be the physics. In electrical engineering parlarance you would say by Faraday's law of induction the vibrating string in the presence of the magnetic field would induce a voltage in coil of copper wire which then is the output of the guitar.
I think that particular statement is erroneous, if it "became" magnetized it would remain magnetized. (edit: unless it was being electro-magnetized with current, which it isn't)
Your explanation of the string's interference with the field inducing a voltage is what I was taught and what I still believe is the actual physics. (yeah you're right too, Geoguy)
Nonetheless the slight error doesn't negate the whole presentation. That only applies to logical proofs.
Actually their are a number of "laws" at play including Ampere's law, Lorentz, Gauss and others. Depends on the pickup design. These same laws also apply to loudspeaker design and microphone design.
All these "laws" may sound confusing. That is because different scientist discovered different aspects of E&M. The complexity and confusion all got straightened out a little over 200 years ago when James C. Maxwell tied it all together with four vector differential equations formally known as Maxwell's Equations. If I recall correctly Maxwell actually dedicated his work to Faraday. I beleive Faraday was his Physics professor. Faraday wasn't a mathematical guy. He found fame when he first documented Induction but fell out of favor when other scientist beleived the universe had an either that allowed E&M waves like light to travel. Once Maxwell published his work and showed no either was required for E&M wave propagation Faraday became extremely famous because he had extrapolated his induction law to also allow propagation. Maxwell gave a copy of hus equation treaties personally to Faraday.
Final factoid...somewhere around 10 to the -48 seconds after the Big Bang electrons formed and their movement created E&M fields and waves!

M

And don't mean to sound nit-picky, (you might have even been victimized by an over-zealous spell checker), but I believe when you said this: "when other scientist beleived the universe had an either that allowed E&M waves like light to travel"
you actually meant "ether" (archaic form "aether")
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_aether

Anyway hopefully that'll clarify what you meant for future readers.
Well said in spite of the glitch.

:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ferrous objects conduct magnetism. They are magnetic while in the field, but they are not actively magnetic (they don't stay that way when removed).

Current is induced via the velocity of the object causing flux in the magnetic field of an inductor. Matsickma is correct about the electronics. A pickup in a guitar is an LCR (RLC, but I learned it as LCR) circuit and that is not a simple thing to understand, though it is a VERY simple thing to build. The complexity of LCR circuits are why people argue about guitar tone ad-infinitum. People want to believe that things like "more winds = hotter" because it's a simple and easy to understand concept, but there's a lot more involved with math that looks like this (from Wikipedia):

RLCCircuitWikipedia.png

Note - I am absolutely not an EE. I just read way too much and often get myself into trouble thinking that I know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Naturally the strings have to be ferrous - i.e. stainless steel strings do not work - I tried in my day - the GHS rep delivered me some after we discussed my problem of extra strong octave-G on my F212CE with George´L Pick up. The iron in strings is moving in the static magnetic field causing field vibrations that transfer to voltage swing in the coil.

The thing that caught my eye was how he showed the position of neck pick up in strat being at 1/4 wave of string - quite true as long you do not fret it. Fretting higher it will be the center pu and finally bridge pu.

All in all good visualization of how El Guitfiddle ticks.

p.s - maybe it slipped my attention - but while he was at it, he should have mentioned, that pick up height affects intonation, because the closer the strings are, the more they will be pulled to pickups, when fretted at higher parts of neck. So before setting the bridge saddles for correct intonation make sure that your pick ups are at final height.

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
Definitely true the strings have to be of ferrous material to work as they stimulate the magnets and the magnet field induces a voltage in non ferrous copper windings which become the output.

String vibration, magnetic flux, inducted coil voltage is the logic flow for the pickup.

Adorski I see your explanation as the more accure one as I chose to caviot my statement saying I never heard the term "string getting magnitized" concept. I just punted and new Faraday's law was the mechanism.

Sometimes education snd training gets in the way of critical thinking. Kind if when someone talks about a perpetual motion machine... I just invoke it viilates the 2nd law of ThermoDynamics and move on. Got to careful of those EE"s and Physics majors...they will catch you every time!! 🎆😀😁😂

Also thanks for the spelling correction! I spotted it but was afraid I would accidentally delete my writeup if I trued to edit it! That has happened to many times to me.

Actually I was hoping to a rise out of some folks to chst about Faraday, Maxwell and the creation of E&M waves a few moments after the Big Bang!

I love that stuff!

M

matsickma

Reaction score
More spelling errors, typos and spell check issues. Sorry...my fingers are too big for my smart phone key strokes!
M

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Ferrous objects conduct magnetism. They are magnetic while in the field, but they are not actively magnetic (they don't stay that way when removed).
AhA! I do believe you're right.
It's why compass works, or the little shavings in those novelty toys line up with the field polarity when you try to draw the beard on the face with the magnetic "pencil".

Note - I am absolutely not an EE. I just read way too much and often get myself into trouble thinking that I know what I'm talking about.

Me too.
:glee:

Hello
Naturally the strings have to be ferrous - i.e. stainless steel strings do not work - I tried in my day - the GHS rep delivered me some after we discussed my problem of extra strong octave-G on my F212CE with George´L Pick up. The iron in strings is moving in the static magnetic field causing field vibrations that transfer to voltage swing in the coil.
Nuuska I bet you'd like this, I trot it out every once in a while, but Hendrix's equipmemt tech Roger Mayer mentions how he believes the string gauges are more important than the pickups themselves in this article:
https://www.guitarworld.com/artists/secrets-jimi-hendrixs-guitar-setup-interview-roger-mayer
I'd quote the specific comments but apparently it's copy & paste protected, which is ok if it keeps it available on the net.
:friendly_wink:

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually I was hoping to a rise out of some folks to chst about Faraday, Maxwell and the creation of E&M waves a few moments after the Big Bang!

I love that stuff!

M

Well you know how we feel about veering around here.
I had this revelation when I was a high school tad, I wasn't even sober at the time:
"Time IS Space".
Ever since then I don't worry.

matsickma

Reaction score
Stimulas- Response

Ferrous string vibrates in presence magnet field. Magnetic field waries in proportion to the string in presence of a coil of wire. Coil of wire gets a voltage induced across it.

The normal logic never explained how the string coupled to the magnet. Ha! Most would not think about that! But the momententary magnetism of the string becomes the mechanism.

Now if we go deeper...magnitism in a magnet is the result of material properties that have continuous steady state circulating loops of current.

So the stimulating string in presence of the magnetic field becomes temporarily magnitized which couples to the magnet.

Chicken or Egg...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
How about the other way around. Loop some wire around a ferrous rod, apply current to the wire, and the rod becomes magnetic.

It's called Electromagnetism for a reason. :emmersed: