One Guild Ran Away Today . . .

Big-Al

Reaction score
Hello group. Well . . . in 2015 I joined the forum when I swapped my Silver Oak Larrivee L-03 to a good friend for his GAD-50 . . . which I liked a lot. Then I bought a D-125, which I liked even better.

I told my friend he could swap guitars back if he wanted to . . . no time limit expressed or implied. We both seemed happy, so I suspected the swap might be permanent. I had moved to a different town and had mostly lost touch with my old friend until he called me a couple of days ago. He didn't directly ask for his old guitar back but he asked about selling the Larrivee so he could get something with more bass . . . like a dread. (hint hint) He's a good old bud so I gave him back his GAD and took back my Larrivee. I still have one Guild dread, so I guess I have that covered. One Guild gone and I'm enjoying having my Larrivee back after lending it out for a long test drive. If I ever decide to get another Guild though, the Larrivee might have decent trade in value.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You are already looking and, probably, have a model in mine.
Glad you are back.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had a Larrivee in hand but I understand them to be very good guitars and from those reviews I would figure they would be a step above Gads for sure but I like I said I don’t know .

I put down on a import myself , a mentally enforced compulsory buy lol . Yes it’s a Guild

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You may want to consider selling your Larrivee outright rather than trading it in. You'll do far better (usually). Lots of really nice used Guilds out there. I'm a huge fan of the D 40, D 50, JF 30 and F 50. Many of these can be had quite reasonable. Good luck in your search.

Big-Al

Reaction score
I’ve never had a Larrivee in hand but I understand them to be very good guitars and from those reviews I would figure they would be a step above Gads for sure but I like I said I don’t know .

I put down on a import myself , a mentally enforced compulsory buy lol . Yes it’s a Guild

I've owned three Larrivee guitars. Their build quality is excellent. Most Larrivee guitars use what Jean Larrivee calls "symmetrical parabolic" bracing. They tend to be very balanced and they record exceptionally well. They also tend to be kind of quiet, so they can get lost in a larger group setting unless they are amplified.

Can you describe the sound of the silver oak?

Ummm . . . it sounds like a guitar. It doesn't have the super deep bass and glassy trebles like rosewood and it has better sustain than maple. It's got nice clear mids and controlled overtones. The guitar seems quite articulate, but that's true of most L-bodied Larrivee guitars. If I played my guitar blindfolded I'd probably guess it was mahogany or sapele.

Jean Larrivee talks about it here:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/jean-larrivee-talks-unconventional-tone-woods-606141

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
Thanks Al. Not unfamiliar with Larrivees ( I have 4) but not familiar with the Silver Oak. I didn't realize that it was the same as the lacewood that I hear about from other brands. Agree with the comment about Larrivees being articulate and not boomy like a Martin or Gibson.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice sound Big Al. Your fingers could be retired from the Yellow Pages--"Let your fingers do the walking." They walked over those strings on your Larivee. Gooden'