The Song Title Game

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"Riot On Sunset Strip" - The Standells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC8CSM2r-ws
VEER ALERT:
I've mentioned Riot on Sunset Strip a couple of times before, for a glorious uncredited outtake of the Butterfield Blues Band's immortal "East/West" used on the soundtrack, as the background music for the LSD trip in an unoccupied mansion in the Hollywood Hills.
A gloriously cheesy exploitation film, with production values worthy of Dragnet .
The Standells and the Chocolate Watchband appear in it along with several other B grade garage bands of the period.
The plot's loosely based on the reason for the curfew that caused the riots that inspired Steven Stills to write "For What It's Worth".
Worth owning (available on DVD) for the "East/West' take all by itself. (It's why I bought it!)
First time I heard it I was thinking to myself "That sounds awfully familiar...", but was thrown off by the arrangement sounding like Traffic from the Low Spark... period meets the Electric Flag (which is where I think the outtake is from.. this flick was in post-production about the same time that Mike Bloomfield was in LA rehearsing tracks for Roger Corman's "the Trip", thus, think this was an out-take owned by American International Pictures and used in "Riot".)
AIP was THE drive-in B movie house of the '60's giving Jack Nicholson , Dennis Hopper and Peter Fonda their stepping stone to Easy Rider with the likes of "The Trip" and "Psych-out" and any number of Hells Angels exploitation flicks, a few of which even featured actual Angels... :eek:
:friendly_wink:
"Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" - Elton John
walrus

"Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying"-Gerry and the Pacemakers

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I Can't Keep From Crying Sometimes - Ten Years After

Another MONSTER!
If you haven't already heard it, check out the version on "The First Great Rock Festivals of the Seventies":
https://www.discogs.com/Various-The...-Of-Wight-Atlanta-Pop-Festival/release/472312
I could live without ever hearing "Goin' Home" from Woodstock again, but that cut from the first Isle of Wright Festival's on my all-time keeper list.
Far and away a masterpiece.

Bronco Bill´s Lament - Don McLean
"Streets of Laredo"-Johnny Cash
Whoopsie, I see I got beaten to the punch while composing.
Oh well.
:smile:

Last edited: