The Song Title Game

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
"You Are My Sunshine," public domain.

"You Are My Sunshine" is a song popularized by Jimmie Davis and Charles Mitchell[SUP][1][/SUP] in 1939. It has been declared one of the state songs of Louisiana because of its association with Davis, a country music singer and governor of the state in the years 1944–1948 and 1960–1964.The song has been covered numerous times — so often, in fact, that it is "one of the most commercially programmed numbers in American popular music."[SUP][2][/SUP] The song, originally country music, has "virtually lost" its original country music identity, and "represent both the national flowering of country music and its eventual absorption into the mainstream of American popular culture."[SUP][2][/SUP] In 1941, it was covered by Gene Autry, Bing Crosby,[SUP][3][/SUP] Mississippi John Hurt, Wayne King and Lawrence Welk.[SUP][2][/SUP] The versions by Autry, Crosby, and King reached the US charts of the day.[SUP][4][/SUP]In subsequent years, it was covered by Doris Day (1951), Nat King Cole (1955), The Marcels (1961), Ray Charles (1962), Ike & Tina Turner, The Rivingtons (1962), Andy Williams (1963), Burl Ives (1968), Frank Turner, The Beach Boys, Aretha Franklin, Anne Murray (1979), Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Norman Blake , Brian Wilson, Mouse and the Traps, Gene Vincent, Jamey Johnson, Low, Mose Allison, Bryan Ferry, Carly Simon, Yusuf Islam, Copeland, Johnny and the Hurricanes and Barbra Lica (2012) amongst many others.[SUP][2][/SUP]The 1940 version by Davis has been added to the National Recording Registry in the Library of Congress on March 21, 2013, for long-term preservation.[SUP][5][/SUP]

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry to catch my own pass, but "Sunshine Of Your Love" (Cream) is one of the best rock songs ever!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am totally lost with some of these later posts. So I'm going to reply to this one and hope for the best!

"Fat Bottomed Girls" - Queen

walrus

I actually completely missed Dreadnut's post as I was distracted while looking at lyrics for linked songs.
"Fat Angel" was written by Donovan, but technically I see "You Are My Sunshine" as the legitimate successor to "Sunshine Superman" although I would have cited one of the performers just to enlarge the potential linking pool.
I am however, wondering if you caught post #'s 4915 and 4919, as you were asked about the link between "Ignorance" and "Coal Miner's Daughter"?

Sorry to catch my own pass, but "Sunshine Of Your Love" (Cream) is one of the best rock songs ever!

We are at a fork in the road.

"Roadhouse Blues"-the Doors

:glee:

I move we leave the choice of link to the next linker?
Gosh, this is almost as exciting as when they finally set up the shooting clock in pro basketball...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am however, wondering if you caught post #'s 4915 and 4919, as you were asked about the link between "Ignorance" and "Coal Miner's Daughter"?

"Roadhouse Blues"-the Doors

Yes, although it was a great effort by you, I think it's a stretch! That one may never be clearly explained to me!

"Why Don't We Do It In The Road?" - The Beatles (technically, just Paul solo)

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, although it was a great effort by you, I think it's a stretch! That one may never be clearly explained to me!

TIME OUT!!! TIME OUT!!!
But it was your link!
(post #4907)
:tongue-new:

Waitaminnit....were you just tryin' to see if everybody was payin' attention?
You've been spending too much time at the pedagogic podium.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
TIME OUT!!! TIME OUT!!!
But it was your link!
(post #4907)
:tongue-new:

Waitaminnit....were you just tryin' to see if everybody was payin' attention?
You've been spending too much time at the pedagogic podium.

Gah! I was linking to Nuuska's "Coal Chamber" song above it! My bad!

Nothing to see here...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Gah! I was linking to Nuuska's "Coal Chamber" song above it! My bad!

Nothing to see here...

walrus
Ahhhh, posting on autopilot, eh?
This.
This is why students don't take their teachers seriously anymore.
"Time Out of Mind" - Steely Dan

walrus

"Joy of a Toy"-the Soft Machine
Both bands got their names from iconic counter-culture author William Burroughs.
I claim double points for a semantic connection between "Joy of a Toy" and Steely Dan as well.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Joy of a Toy"-the Soft Machine. Both bands got their names from iconic counter-culture author William Burroughs. I claim double points for a semantic connection between "Joy of a Toy" and Steely Dan as well.

Oh, double points are well-deserved! Nice one!

"Happy Happy Joy Joy " - Ren and Stimpy

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wishing you were here - God, channeled through Pink Floyd.
"God"-John Lennon
(yeah that's kind stretchin' it, linking to a comment instead of the song or artist but then there's already been a precedent nobody called foul on, and it's god, er, good for new directions. :friendly_wink:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"God Save the Queen" - Sex Pistols

PS - there's been plenty of songs linked to comments - I just did it 9 posts above!

walrus

Right, was just tossin' it out there for "advice and consent"...
Now, what about that shooting clock rule?
:joyous:

Sex Kills - Joni Mitchell
"Machine Gun"- Jimi Hendrix
0530b8823a5fd9fb7a03f9a599665f89.jpg

Last edited: