The Song Title Game

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al - you are close but .... in fact they are diesel electrics shown in the postcard image but the units are from GM / EMD (Electo-Motive Division of General Motors). GE was just getting into the hard core locomotive business about the time the Hummingbird was discontinued (I think).
MY bad, slipped by me, would you believe it was a typo?
I recognized it as the same make as the San Francisco Chief:
San_Francisco_Chief.JPG

But truth to tell I only knew from GM from reading Kerouac, who worked on that train for a time.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
MY bad, slipped by me, would you believe it was a typo?
I recognized it as the same make as the San Francisco Chief:
San_Francisco_Chief.JPG

But truth to tell I only knew from GM from reading Kerouac, who worked on that train for a time.

Not a problem from me. I recognize many of the older ones but all the newest ones look alike EMD or GE. As with many of those era postcards, they are extractions from a photograph, with adjustments / enhancements or other modifications. I have seen a similar photograph at the same location & perspective view, but the train is much shorter and powered by different model locomotives (EMD E8 which looks similar at the front but is essentially twice as long). Still a nice picture, as is the one of the Chief! Happy weekend all :)