Lindsay Buckingham fired from the Mac, Mike Campbell to replace

idealassets

Reaction score
Back in MY day, if you wanted to impress a girl, you had an eight-track copy of a Peter Greene version of the band...or better yet, a John Mayall tape with the namesakes as the rhythm section...
Who the hell is Bob Welch? Now, pardon me while I go rub some linament on my Lubago...:neglected:

BTW, I had neither, at least in the car, though did have The Blues Project Live at Cafe a Go Go...I am glad my pretty had a more (umph?) refined taste (Dave Van Ronk! :biggrin-new:)
Bob Welch was this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnJOsfalSYs

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys, the two tunes on YouTube are only vagely familiar to me...but the half-smoked glasses and the hat ring a bell...is there some picture of him playing a Firebird?

Prolly have to get that book, though would only read it through the blues period...

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
To be honest, Lindsey has been considering what he calls "The Big Machine" less of a fun thing to do and much more of an unwanted necessity for some time. To be seen, you have to play the game of the Big Machine, but he would rather be doing his solo stuff, yet, few notice you on the much smaller stage. A number of his solo song projects ended up on FM records just so people will hear them, but now they're " FM songs " not " LB Songs ". Add to that, I saw some click-bait "headlines" that claimed Lindsey was now accused of treating Stevie badly. This could be why... "The writing was on the wall that all was not well within the band when Stevie Nicks refused to participate in the album Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie last year, which featured everyone else in the group besides her. "

Last edited:

Grassdog

Reaction score
When I read the story I had two takeaways: 1) Lindsey's heart must not really be in it any longer, and 2) I'm really glad Mike Campbell has another gig and I look forward to hearing his contribution to the band. Mike and Tom had such a productive career together and were such good friends. The past 5 months must have been pretty hard on him. I don't think Mike ever played a lick or fill that didn't fit in perfectly to enhance the song - which is what a lead player is really supposed to do - serve the song.

As for Lindsey, I'm sure this frees him up to do some stuff he'd rather be working on. He and Christine released a pretty good album last year.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Tusk was the last Mac album I got into as a creative thing. Since then it's been whatever. IMO it's healthy to leave stuff behind once it no longer "does it" for you.

-Dave-

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tusk was the last Mac album I got into as a creative thing. Since then it's been whatever. IMO it's healthy to leave stuff behind once it no longer "does it" for you.

-Dave-

I had that ablum at like age 13. Way before i ever heard Rumors. i think parents bought it for me. the Wiki story of Tusk is interesting...this tid bit about how crazy Lindsay was getting...

Producer Ken Caillat noticed Buckingham's obsessive nature: "He was a maniac. The first day, I set the studio up as usual. Then he said, ‘Turn every knob 180 degrees from where it is now and see what happens.’ He’d tape microphones to the studio floor and get into a sort of push-up position to sing. Early on, he came in and he’d freaked out in the shower and cut off all his hair with nail scissors. He was stressed."[12]

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Add to that, I saw some click-bait "headlines" that claimed Lindsey was now accused of treating Stevie badly. This could be why... "The writing was on the wall that all was not well within the band when Stevie Nicks refused to participate in the album Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie last year, which featured everyone else in the group besides her. "
Well h-ll that's a running joke that goes back to the recording of Rumors, when she had an affair with Mick Fleetwood (NOT, according to Mick. But the creative tension was responsible for a lot of creative tension, according to him. It was one of the reasons McVie came up with the title "Rumors")
Nice to see a tradition being maintained.
(end of snark attack)
:friendly_wink:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
From everything I've read, one thing permeates through all of their troubles, particularly the "Rumours/Tusk" line-up: drugs.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From everything I've read, one thing permeates through all of their troubles, particularly the "Rumours/Tusk" line-up: drugs.

walrus

GASP!!
Our Big Mac?
I though that was all disproven as a media exploitation of Mick's unfortunate Persian border incident:
30 customs guards drew down on him when asked if he had anything to declare and he said "Yeah, got all of these rugs..."