Guild F30NT

Reaction score
Wondering what a fair price would be for a Guild F30NT serial # 48732. 1970 model in very good condition.
Thanks
Mitchell

geoguy

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, Mitchell . . . I would expect that up to roughly $1,200 would be a fair price from a buyer's point of view, if the guitar is indeed in very good shape.

A search of "completed sales" on ebay shows some for a bit less, but condition counts for a lot with used guitars (and those "sold" guitars might have needed at least some minor repairs).

Current listings on Reverb for more than $2K are rather optimistic, imo.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
During the past year I purchased (and later sold) a 1974 F-30NT. It was not a closet queen and did have a scar on the head stock....but it played beautifully and had an excellent neck angle, fret board, frets, bridge and more. Cosmetically....it was vintage and had a few knocks...but was imo above average. I bought the guitar for $900 with the case....I sold the guitar on Reverb and netted $841....so the Buyer had about $900 in the guitar after shipping. I did not have a lot of takers even when offered to the LTG'ers here. You can read and see photos of that guitar here http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?194643-NGD-1974-Guild-F-30NT This Buyer was thrilled with the guitar and price and has even kept in contact with me about it...he likes it so much that he doesn't want to drill it for pickup installation and had intended to gig the gutiar. I'd think yours would be similarly marketable given the same general era...and if in better cosmetic condition with original case...perhaps worth a bit more. The 2018 guide reports the Aragon F-30 1970-1979 excellent low to excellent high range is $1700-$2200. Though my guitar did not qualify as excellent...it was certainly good+...I think those numbers are a bit on the high side from personal experience. The F-30 is a great guitar but is not among highly collectible instruments from what I can see...unless you have a 60's custom rosewood back/sides version like Paul Simon's :) As I recall....mine was not short scale...had a nut width on the narrower side of 1 11/16"....but the deal breaker for me was the way the neck widened as it went up the fret board....I just couldn't get along with that. I told her before I sold her..."baby...its me....its not you".

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
welcome, Mitchell. does your 1970 F-30 look like a Gibson mini-jumbo, or more like a Martin orchestra shape?

refer to this photo, the one on the viewer's right, with the black headstock, is the "Gibson mini-jumbo" shape, on the left is the "Martin shape." let us know, cheers!

AqT0Qv.jpg

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, as others have mentioned, pics will help. (See the FAQ about how to get them in your posts http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185122-FAQ-Posting-pictures-to-LTG) Until that, some specs will help. That's a transitional time for Guild, and the 60's F30s are different from the 70's F30s in the specs. You're on the cusp (although I'm sure Hans knows exactly what they are just from the serial #.)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
welcome, Mitchell. does your 1970 F-30 look like a Gibson mini-jumbo, or more like a Martin orchestra shape?

refer to this photo, the one on the viewer's right, with the black headstock, is the "Gibson mini-jumbo" shape, on the left is the "Martin shape." let us know, cheers!

AqT0Qv.jpg

so the F112 and 212 are F30 bodies? F40?

Reaction score
It is the Martin shape on the left in an original case also in very good condition. thanks

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
F112+F30 body, F2&312=F40 body ('hog & rosewood respectively).

ah, thanks Al. Then i want the F112. would be a great compatible Guild for my Br. Like planting basil and tomatoes next to each other. after years and years of a dread, small body be a nice change.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information Hans. I would say mine looks like yours in I believe similar condition with an original case also in very good condition. As I am new to this it may take a while for me to figure how to insert pictures but I will. Thanks again. Mitchell

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans posted a photo of the first generation F-30, the "Hoboken shape" (what I called the "Martin shape").

Are you trying to buy this guitar, or sell it? someone here may be interested if selling. tell us where you are located, geographically, if so!

bobouz

Reaction score
If it's truly a 1970, it should be the earlier Martinish shape as shown by Hans.

I'm a fan of the later jumboish shape, which I believe started in '72 on the mahogany bodied F-30. I do know for sure that the rosewood version F-30R with the jumbo body shape started in '73. I'm fortunate enough to have one of those, and it's a very satisfying instrument.

Reaction score
Mid 60’s Guild add in “Sing out” magazine

Sorry, it’s been 50 years so I have to paraphrase:
Mississippi John Hurt visited our facilities recently and selected a Guild F30nt for his personal use.