Which Guild for me?

docfishr

Reaction score
Do you mean a '99, Doc? They only reissued the short scale F-30s at the very end of the Westerly residency for a few years. (I know, I have one and had to search for awhile to find one of them.)

YES! you are correct . It is a 1999 F-30Rsb

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yup, that was a typo haha. Jf30 is what I meant. It's gone anyways. What do you guys think of this guitar at that price?

https://reverb.com/item/11169825-sw...aa-flame-maple-fishman-prefix-problend-mic-pu

Previously discussed here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?195943-F47MCE-w-HSC-AAAA-Flame-Maple-1100;
Lotta good background about Corona in there too.

As an F40-sized fan, that one speeds up my heart rate, but I'd really like to find one with a shortscale and 1-11/16. nut.
It may not "officially" exist, but one of the mid-'80's versions of an F45ce might have got the wider nut, they weren't boringly consistent with specs back then, but I prefer to buy new anyway.
I still think it's overpriced, but would be about right at maybe $6-700.00 in VVG condition.Others might even say lower, but I tend to over-estimate out here in high -priced CA.I deduct for non-original case. It came with the guitar at that time and ain't easy to replace these days.

Bernie

Reaction score
YES! you are correct . It is a 1999 F-30Rsb
What year was the end of Westerly plant's built (and then the move to Tacoma -Corona's in between-) ? Someone had told me it happened pretty soon after Fender - or FMIC - bought Guild...

When it comes to the F 47 MCE, it locks interesting...If list price is $3700, and the guitar all solid woods made, it should be worth that price...It has good electronics too (however building up acoustic guitars is very different from building up electrics such as Strats and other Fender guitars, so what's written is not necessarily an all risks guarantee I think...). But I'm far from being an expert in Guild Guitars History.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
What year was the end of Westerly plant's built (and then the move to Tacoma -Corona's in between-) ? Someone had told me it happened pretty soon after Fender - or FMIC - bought Guild...
FMIC's purchase of Guild was finalized in Nov. of '95.
Westerly stopped production in either August or September of '01, I forget which, but I remember the very last Westerly built was an Artist Award which was signed by all the people who had a hand making it and came with a letter of authenticity as the last Westerly ever built.
Either the original or second owner showed it here a few years back.
Westerly was actually shipping finished inventory until at least December of '01, my F65ce was in one of the last shipments to leave (have a letter from Fender).
So obviously they were still "clearing out" in late '01 even though production had stopped.
Fender was building a dedicated construction facility in Corona for Guild's relocation so this must have started sometime in '01, and the first "official model year" for Corona was '02, but they were making electrics on the Fender side prior to that.
(But I don't think earlier than '01.)
Fender acquired Tacoma in '04 and Corona was shut down by late '04, and Tacoma Guilds were being produced by '05, July, IIRC.
Internet history about specific dates is sparse-to-non-existent, and believe me I've looked.
I'm pretty sure Hans Moust at least knows history through Corona in detail, but I think he's saving that info for further volumes of the Guild Guitar Book and would like to retain that info as valuable intellectual property..

When it comes to the F 47 MCE, it locks interesting...If list price is $3700, and the guitar all solid woods made, it should be worth that price...It has good electronics too (however building up acoustic guitars is very different from building up electrics such as Strats and other Fender guitars, so what's written is not necessarily an all risks guarantee I think...). But I'm far from being an expert in Guild Guitars History.
See my link in post #24, that instrument is grossly misrepresented, it is NOT a Custom Shop Guitar, and I don't think Guild EVER had a regular production acoustic instrument list for that much up to that time.
(REAL Guild Custom Shop builds could get there IIRC.)

Last edited:

Br1ck

Reaction score
The truth of the matter is that you will not like every Guild out there. I had a maple F 40, I think it was, that while a huge improvement over a ply Ibanez, was a heavy brittle sounding guitar. I do not generally like the late 70s early eighties Guilds, but a friend's 77 F 112 is my favorite 12 string, and I've never played a D 55 I didn't like. Old j 30s are sweet, but the last one I saw was $1600 and worth it. D 25s for me can be hit or miss too, but find the right one and you'll be happy.

Bernie

Reaction score
Lots of precious infos Staygoldant, in the link given by Adorshki...Careful as there seems to be misinformations in Reverb's comment on the F47MCE Corona made guitar.

And many thanks Mr. Adorshki for all the indications you gave on Westerly, Corona and Tacoma plants' dates of use...Very helpful...