SH000 12 fret and my D-25

nyimbo

Reaction score
Thanks all for the help earlier on my D-25 electronics questions.

I have made the decision to sell my inherited D-25 guitar (I also have a second vintage guitar of Dads that probably has some good value) and replace them with another that I would like to play regularly. Even tho I had fun playing the D25 recently for an event it isn't the style of guitar I want to leave in the living room to play on regularly. I'm too old or too set in my ways to learn a new style of playing As a trained classical player who now enjoys fingerstyle playing I'd like a wider nut rather than smaller. I currently go back and forth pretty evenly between my classical and my Taylor with 1 3/4 neck but for a long time I thought I'd love something in the middle. I'd love a classical with 1 7/8 inch and/or a steel string with 1 13/16 -anyway I've been thinking about a 12 fret with a shorter scale and wider neck.

My thinking is I would to sell Dad's guitars but then buy (kind of as a remembrance to him) buy another Guild if I find one that fits my playing style. I know that if he were alive he would tell me to just get something I would play and not worry about his guitar itself - but anyway thats what I'd like to do if I can find something that fits.

I did a search on Reverb and Elderly and found a guitar I want to ask about. A Guild SH 000 12 fret. It is 1 13/16 with a short scale. I thought I'd ask if anyone has played one and what it feels like.
Thanks, Keith

ps I suppose this is a silly question because I promised my wife I'd sell the other two guitars "BEFORE" I bought another. I'm sure this particular guitar will be gone before I make that happen.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think you're looking at an Orpheum which are very highly regarded by their owners and were produced in very limited numbers in New Hartford.
You're to be commended for giving the '25 an honest chance.
God bless yer daddy and god luck on that 12-er.

merlin6666

Reaction score
This sounds like you are asking about an Orpheum 12-fret Slothead. So if you search for that on google or on the LTG you can probably find a lot of information. Basically they were only built for a few months, so not many were made and they are not coming up for sale very often. They are not like the "traditional" Guilds at all and are based on a completely new design by Ren Ferguson to reflect the building techniques of pre-WWII guitars. I have the 12-string version and I like it. Hopefully someone who has a 6-string can provide some better details.

nyimbo

Reaction score
I don’t want to change my main question about thoughts on the 12 fret Guild SH000 but quickly can I ask how you buy from Elderly? They don’t have a “make an offer” button like Reverb.com. Are Elderly prices set. Or do you need to call and ask what is the final price or what?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don’t want to change my main question about thoughts on the 12 fret Guild SH000 but quickly can I ask how you buy from Elderly? They don’t have a “make an offer” button like Reverb.com. Are Elderly prices set. Or do you need to call and ask what is the final price or what?

call and ask for final price. i have friends that have enjoyed buying from Elderly.