What did he do to the tuning there??

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
This, too:
" I have a classical Cordoba that is also pretty standard that I play a lot."

Google image search of her name yields this:
tumblr_inline_oxmn797sUx1rlbw04_500.jpg

Pretty sure it's an NS, just for the record.

There are a few other images of her with the Guild...... and just for RayK a few with a Blueridge as well.

Bernie

Reaction score
What did he do to the tuning there??

He starts from "Dropped D" (bottom E strings tuned down to D -sorry-), then tunes up to standard tuning again to play Wish you were here

Last edited:

beecee

Reaction score
He starts from "Dropped D" (bottom E strings tuned down to E), then tunes up to standard tuning again to play Wish you were here

Got it! I kept tuning up from EADGBE. I sounded worse than usual!

Thanks

Bernie

Reaction score
got answer finally from rep at Sweetwater and there is a small difference:

"The difference is the type of material used for the Core and wire. The Clapton 41MEC12 are made with a traditional core wire and tin-plated steel plain strings. They are the specifications that Eric Clapton wanted on his strings. So a small difference but his preference."

worth $2 more? probably not and from your own experience no, but i will give them mediums a shot next string purchase. i have tried the SPs and do like them ok but do not like the gold plated B/E string. personal pet peeve, not important but alas, is what it is :)

Going back to this old conversation as the thread is not active these days anymore...
The "Eric Clapton's choice" strings are (or is it were?) phosphor bronze too, as I discovered from a set of medium gauges I have ordered. I had been using regular SP Custom Light at the time (MSP 3050 - bronze-) I think.

All this might be an old story pretty soon anyway as new strings have arrived : regular SPs are no longer made I believe, and the new Lifespan 2.00 do not have the gold Es & Bs anymore. Don't know if Martin will still make the MECs (it doesn't seem like it). I will have a go soon, on this set I have left, but on a different guitar, see if it matches it better...

The new strings MAxxx and MAxxxT ("T" for treated) sound interesting from reports I read on an other site : they do not seem to have been considered too much here, unless I missed some related thread : I will try them pretty soon I bet, see what they're like.

Till then, enjoy...

Bernie

Reaction score
got answer finally from rep at Sweetwater and there is a small difference:

"The difference is the type of material used for the Core and wire. The Clapton 41MEC12 are made with a traditional core wire and tin-plated steel plain strings. They are the specifications that Eric Clapton wanted on his strings. So a small difference but his preference."

worth $2 more? probably not and from your own experience no, but i will give them mediums a shot next string purchase. i have tried the SPs and do like them ok but do not like the gold plated B/E string. personal pet peeve, not important but alas, is what it is :)

Going back to this old conversation as the thread is not active these days anymore...
The "Eric Clapton's choice" strings are (or is it were?) phosphor bronze too, as I discovered from a set of medium gauges I had ordered. I had been using regular SP Custom Light at the time (MSP 3050 - bronze-) I think.

All this might be an old story pretty soon anyway as new strings have arrived : regular SPs are no longer made I believe, and the new Lifespan 2.00 do not have the gold Es & Bs anymore. Don't know if Martin will still make the MECs (it seems like it). I will have a go soon, on this set I have left, but on a different guitar, see if it matches it better...

The new strings MAxxx and MAxxxT ("T" for treated) sound interesting from reports I read on an other site : they do not seem to have been considered too much here, unless I missed some related thread : I will try them pretty soon I bet, see what they're like.

Till then, enjoy...

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
Getting sentimental and churchy - cross hands - with Jimmy Smith, Eddie Mac Fadden (gtr.), and, not the Crosby you'd like the most on this forum I bet, Charlie is this one, here on the drums...
Eddie Mac Fadden ain't no big star maybe, but he plays a Guild CE 100 on this tune, and he deserves to be here... I hope you'll enjoy the music...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3hHUUfH8HQ

pancho400cid

Reaction score
I don't know how familiar people are with Jimmie Dale Gilmore. In Texas he is a highly regarded country/folk singer and songwriter. Maybe you saw his bit part in the Big Lebowski?

Anyway... stumbled across this pic of him playing a Guild.... Is it a D-40?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't know how familiar people are with Jimmie Dale Gilmore. In Texas he is a highly regarded country/folk singer and songwriter. Maybe you saw his bit part in the Big Lebowski?

Anyway... stumbled across this pic of him playing a Guild.... Is it a D-40?

Good guess but tough call as D40's and D50's are almost identical visually unless one can get a good view of the sides; but that one does look like 'hog body with a chesterfield which only applied to D40's, I think, although Chesterfields came and went on 'em.
D50's were rosewood which I can't rule out here, either.

Bernie

Reaction score
What guitar is Richie Havens playing here ? It has the size and neck markers of an F-55 today it seems, or of (I thnk) an F-50 earlier on, but the maple neck (along with maple back & sides) of possibly a JF-65 (a JF-55 would have a mahofany neck I believe)... www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0NEUXzRe7A&list=RDPa2sdOPt_MI&index=6
Heard Richie was handed his first guitar by singer and songwriter Fred Neil after 6 monhs of singing along with him...I wonder if this would be the one, considering this recording comes quite early in Heavens career (close to 2 years before his Woodstock appearance I reckon).
I did know about Richie Heavens' D-40, but not about this one.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
What guitar is Richie Havens playing here ?

That's an F-50Bld. with custom double pickguards, which is the model that Richie played before he settled on the D-40 as his preferred instrument. He was even pictured with it on the cover of the 1968 Guild catalog.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Bernie

Reaction score
Thanks very much Hans, for taking the time to answer. I apreciate : I had done a bit of searching, and had not been able to find a Guild guitar that had maple back and sides AND a maple neck with a jumbo shape, apart from a JF-65, as F-55s Bld nave a mahogany neck these days it seems...
I don't know that many of the numerous Guild models, but starting around 1'30" a shooting from behind on Richie Heavens video clearly shows a maple neck.
That makes the new F-55 Bld different from the old F-50 Bld then : for those like me, here is a video that clearly shows the maple neck on a 76 "Blonde" www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t4QNTPWSBE
This one is even closer to Richie's guitar, a 1967 F-50 though not a "Blonde". You might enjoy it even more : www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IoCB6EOVT8

Merry Christmas to all...

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
For me, this is the ultimate in many ways: a Sunburts Guild 12 string (a dream guitar for me), being played by David Gilmour (my favourite guitarist) playing ports of "Wish You Were Here" (the greatest rock song of all time, according to me), and Gilmour himself loivng the sound of the guitar. See it here:

Love the part in the beginning:

Interviewer: "why would you use a 12 string?"
Glimour: "Just listen to that. Why wouldn't you?"

Anyone would know what Guild model D. Gilmour is using here ? It looks like a F-512 to me, but I couldn't tell if it'd be maple back and sides or rosewood ; we don't see much of the sides, and considering what finish may be used, hard to tell)... I'd say rosewood though. Is that right ?

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That looks like maple on the sides to me.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone would know what Guild model D. Gilmour is using here ? It looks like a F-512 to me, but I couldn't tell if it'd be maple back and sides or rosewood ; we don't see much of the sides, and considering what finish may be used, hard to tell)... I'd say rosewood though. Is that right ?
That looks like maple on the sides to me.
It's maple, so a F-412. Rosewood was never color finished on the back and sides.

And if you are really curious, that is the label of that very guitar, so she was a 2006 Tacoma made one.

1616710365570.png

David does not own her anymore, he sold her in 2019. And now hold on, guess what price she sold for?
USD 87,500 !!! Yes, eightyseventhousandfivehundred!

Ralf

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thread resurrection! I love when this happens...

So Bernie makes the last post before COVID hit, Dec 2019. and Ralf answers a question in March of 2021. BWAHAHAHAHAHAH

F312

Reaction score
I thought it would fetch more than that, but what do I know. He probably donated the proceeds to his favorite charity.

Ralph

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Maybe this will fit your budget better. Currently on eBay for $2K.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

walrus