Big stars playing guild guitars ?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When it comes to "Clapton's choice", I have tried his strings once, and I didn't find them a,ytho,g special : I like the regular SP...
Couldn't say what's the difference, or if there is a difference even - I couldn't be too sure -, but there seem to be some. The SP are definitely more reliable than their ordinary sets, and seem to sound better too (not only longer...).

got answer finally from rep at Sweetwater and there is a small difference:

"The difference is the type of material used for the Core and wire. The Clapton 41MEC12 are made with a traditional core wire and tin-plated steel plain strings. They are the specifications that Eric Clapton wanted on his strings. So a small difference but his preference."

worth $2 more? probably not and from your own experience no, but i will give them mediums a shot next string purchase. i have tried the SPs and do like them ok but do not like the gold plated B/E string. personal pet peeve, not important but alas, is what it is :)

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
"The difference is the type of material used for the Core and wire. The Clapton 41MEC12 are made with a traditional core wire and tin-plated steel plain strings. They are the specifications that Eric Clapton wanted on his strings. So a small difference but his preference."

So he wants his guitars to sound tinny.
Go figure.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So he wants his guitars to sound tinny.
Go figure.

i wonder why. would the tin plated b/e strings make it more jangly?
is he just so used to electric guitar that it biases his acoustic sound?

interesting. again the reviews are all like 4 and 5 star.

slight veer--I am digging these Dunlop medium 80/20s. they are finally breaking in and sound great now. in the pocket so to speak...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
i wonder why. would the tin plated b/e strings make it more jangly?
is he just so used to electric guitar that it biases his acoustic sound?
It was purely a joke, I honestly have no clue.
I will say that I'm sure he's probably listened to way more types of strings over time than I ever have or will, so I trust him to know why he spec'd 'em the way he did.
:friendly_wink:

slight veer--I am digging these Dunlop medium 80/20s. they are finally breaking in and sound great now. in the pocket so to speak...
Strictly from curiosity, do you know where those are made?
Only reason I ask is because D'Addi makes so many strings for other "labels."
It occurs to me that doesn't necessarily mean they're exactly the same as the D'Addario formulas, they may well order up different batches of wire for different customers.
They just have really great string-making machinery so it's probably only natural other folks'd be happy to let 'em make 'em to their specs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyone mention Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir?

Both had big jumbos, F-50's I think.
Yeah they usually get mentioned early on, Bernie mentions Jerry in post# 2but Bobby gets forgotten a lot.
Here's a couple of pics from another concurrent thread, http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196969-Guild-sighting-hippies-on-a-train-1970
My all time favorite pic of Jerry, now:
jg-young-goatee.jpg

And photo showing Bobby's special order F50(r) with the oversize headstock.
PopTop_TheDead_061712~2.jpg

Think that inspiration musta hit him around the same time they told a Warner's recording engineer they wanted to get the sound of "thick air" in "Born Cross-Eyed":

"OK. So, that pause you get hear and there throughout the song? One of those pauses, and I suspect it’s the one right before “My how lovely you are, my dear...” was the place where Weir famously asked for the sound of “thick air” in the silence of the pause. Or maybe it was right before the big final chord came crashing down. Either way, that was the last straw for the harried studio producer Dave Hassinger, who reportedly stormed out of the studio shouting “Thick air! He wants thick air!”
:glee:

Last edited:

Bernie

Reaction score
Jerry Garcia might have become a movie star then, or maybe even a banker, at the time.., if it wasn't for these smelling-good little plants (!?) :positive:

When it comes to "Clapton's choice", I have tried his strings once, and I didn't find them anything special : I like the regular SP...
Couldn't say what's the difference, or if there is a difference even - I couldn't be too sure -, but there seem to be some. The SP are definitely more reliable than their ordinary sets, and seem to sound better too (not only longer...).
Might have to do with the pairing too : I used them on a Taylor 614CE (spruce-maple) in replacement of some supposedly Elixir strings (probably custom-light - vs Martin EC lights -) unless it was some other coated strings with a 50 bottom E from an other brand (my luthier measured a 50 low E he said). They were the strings I bought the guitar with (second hand). The Martin EC strings felt heavy to me at the time. And not that great. But Adorshki must be right, Clapton surely knows more than me (too).

Bob Weir too played a Guild then...Well definitely a make used hy good people and musicians it seems : I've listened to recent recordings of the Grateful Dead (or whatever their name right now). Pretty cool.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bob Weir too played a Guild then....
At least 3, in fact, as he had a Starfire:
Bob-Weir-Cassidy.jpg
19680503_0533.jpg

and an ST-402:
prev32.jpg

With thanks to Ralf, in this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?185399-Bob-Weir-and-his-Guild-F50/page2

That thread also contains a post from member F50-R Special mentioning at least 5 and possibly 6 of those F50-R's were built and input from Hans about the article that sparked that thread.
Jerry also played a Starfire very early on:
Guild.jpg

As well as the D25 Br (Brown) Woody mentions, but I can't find the thread with those pics right now.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I'm not sure if many would count him as a "Big Star" -- but he had several hits (including a few number 1s on the country chart) -- Both as a writer and founder of SKO and SKB.

"This Old House" still gets me every time I hear it.

I just happened to see this while I was searching for a song of his to give to a friend:

Thom Schuyler
vbYS7qN.jpg

And the guitar at the BlueBird Cafe (Thom is hiding)
PxM3dGU.jpg

Last edited:

GF60

Reaction score
Guild Total
Has anyone mentioned Dave Van Ronk? Also several folk artists were known to play Guild 12 strings. Tim Hardin And Judy Collins both were known to have Guilds. Judy's F312 was sold in an auction a few years ago with a few of her other guitars. And I remember Tommy Smothers playing a Guild D-55 sunburst on The Smothers Brothers Show. That was a beautiful guitar.

12 string

Reaction score
Guild Total
U Utah Phillips (the Golden Voice of the Great Southwest) played a Guild maple jumbo with a silver dollar covering up the G shield.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
U Utah Phillips (the Golden Voice of the Great Southwest) played a Guild maple jumbo with a silver dollar covering up the G shield.

Scroll down to the album of photos for the 2000's and click on the 1st photo. It is a picture of Tom Rush and U Utah Phillips onstage together. It is a great, candid photo and a good picture of his well-worn F-50 with the silver dollar. (I don't know how to do a screen capture of a photo.)

http://tomrush.com/gallery/

Note: See post #56. Thanks Bruce! :loyal:

Last edited:

stormin1155

Reaction score
John Oates uses Mississippi John Hurt's old Guild on his latest album, Arkansas.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
John Oates uses Mississippi John Hurt's old Guild on his latest album, Arkansas.

so Oates really was the talent in that band after all. kind of had a sneaking suspicion. good for him.

stormin1155

Reaction score
What surprised me when I dug into his solo stuff is how rooted in the blues he is... I always thought of him in a top-40 context. To your comment, I think he and Hall were pretty equal contributors. You might enjoy listening to some of the Live from Daryl's House sessions... http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/