My review of the NEW OXNARD F55e

ClydeTower

Reaction score
So that said, my speculation about the neckblock hole on Clyde's new beauty was simply that > Idle speculation regarding the possibility of this hole being one that's utilized as some sort of locator. Would I put money on it? Absolutely not! If I were a wagering sort of guy, I'd actually put my chips down on this being a universal neckblock for both the M/T & dovetail bodies.

For anyone interested, I got confirmation from my contact at Cordoba that the neck joint on the F55 is a Dovetail neck joint and the hole on the neck block is a tooling hole made from the C&C machines while making the neck block.

Also, I have some detailed information from the finishing manager about the finish on the F55 burst:

The whole finish with color is about 0.9mm total thickness and is comprised of a conversion varnish as a base coat and a nitro top coat. This is similar to how Gibson finishes their guitars to speed up the drying process. In the case of the sunburst finish, the color is under the base coat. For reference, they use Mcfadden EL3128 dark salem for color match.

As stated in this thread, the guitar weighs 4.8 lbs including the LR Baggs pick-up.

Again, if anyone here has a NH F50 with Dtar, I would sure like to know how much it weighs just to compare....

Thanks.

Claude

EDIT: There was a typo on the finish thickness... it should read 9 MILS

Last edited:

bobouz

Reaction score
For anyone interested, I got confirmation from my contact at Cordoba that the neck joint on the F55 is a Dovetail neck joint and the hole on the neck block is a tooling hole made from the C&C machines while making the neck block.
Looks like my initial guess was closer to the mark! Thanks CT for the follow-up info.

And it's very interesting that Oxnard's finishing formula is similar to Gibson's. I think this will be a good thing, as I've been very pleased with the stability of the finish on the four Gibson acoustics I have that were manufactured between 2012 & 2015.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Also, I have some detailed information from the finishing manager about the finish on the F55 burst:

The whole finish with color is about 0.9mm total thickness and is comprised of a conversion varnish as a base coat and a nitro top coat. This is similar to how Gibson finishes their guitars to speed up the drying process. In the case of the sunburst finish, the color is under the base coat. For reference, they use Mcfadden EL3128 dark salem for color match.

As stated in this thread, the guitar weighs 4.8 lbs including the LR Baggs pick-up.

Again, if anyone here has a NH F50 with Dtar, I would sure like to know how much it weighs just to compare....

Thanks.

Claude

Are the these sunbursts a three color or just two ? Hard for me to tell from the pics.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
With your kind permission I'm gonna hijack that right over to my "Finishes" thread as it's quite appropriate there:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?188931-Finishes&highlight=finishes
And I think the whole post would be well-suited for an "F50" owner's review so it can be easily found later on.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/forumdisplay.php?152-Guild-Acoustic-Reviews
Truly appreciate the spec notes, it's the type of info I expected to find when I first joined here.

Last edited:

ClydeTower

Reaction score

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Just saw 2 replies to my post of your quote in the "Finishes" thread that that thickness spec is probably in error, I missed it myself but Hans said:

I'm guessing it's probably a misplaced decimal in the "0.9mm" spec?

Maybe that's 9 mils rather than .9mm, let me check that...

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Yes a MIL is 1/1000 of an inch

As a point of reference, Taylor guitars specifies an average of 6-8 mils for most of their guitars and 3.5 mils for their 600, 800 and 900 series. I can attest that the 3.5 mils finish on my Taylor 812 is not very resistant to nicks and dents... just hitting the body with your fingernail can create a blemish.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And here I am a Ph.D. trained scientist who thought has mastered all levels of measurements from exa to atto but when it comes to the obscure world of non-S.I. units, this old dog still can learn some new tricks.
How about a "Gogolplex"?:
c0fcc998e8ec8199968fc4ca5f0f6bc0.jpg

Reaction score

Thanks.

Claude

EDIT: There was a typo on the finish thickness... it should read 9 MILS

I have an 2012 NH F50 w/ DTAR (Spuce Maple) and I just put it on the postage scale. 5 lbs 2.7 oz. Does that help?
I thought mine was light, but yours at 4.8 lbs...a featherweight!!!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I have an 2012 NH F50 w/ DTAR (Spuce Maple) and I just put it on the postage scale. 5 lbs 2.7 oz. Does that help?
I thought mine was light, but yours at 4.8 lbs...a featherweight!!!

Hey thanks RR! That does help :) I wonder if Maple is usually heavier or lighter than RW?

Reaction score
Well, with Rosewood you’ve also got the bracing. However, the maple is laminated and pressed into the arch shape... so...I don’t know which is heavier from NH.
Both of my F50r’s are heavier, but they’re also 2005 Tacoma- built with the heavier construction, bracing, and the Grover tuners.