Standard Nut Width

leehop71

Reaction score
This will probably stir up a firestorm, but that's never my intent.

Here's my question/concern/proposal:

Are there folk out there that really cannot comfortably play a 1.75 nut width guitar?

I know many, like myself, find the 1.75 more comfortable especially being a strummer, like I am, for the quick chord changes. I rarely find myself 'missing' a change to the point that I mute a string next to my fingers.

I don't understand why they don't make the standard width on a guitar 1.75 and offer the 1.6875 when requested.

There are so many models someone like myself would probably own, like lower end Breedloves, if they came in 1.75 nut width.

Anyone?

ClydeTower

Reaction score
I've played and owned guitars with 1 11/16", 1 23/32" and 1 3/4" nut widths. I would say that its the combination of the neck profile, string spacing and nut width that all play a role in the playability. Case in point: I've recently acquired a Guild F55 with a very true 1 11/16" nut which is slightly narrower than my D55's nut, however the neck profile on the D55 in chunkier. That being said, my D55 feels more cramped to me even though the nut is wider.

Other example: The nut on my SJ200 is ruffly the same width as the one on my D55, however, string spacing on the SJ200 is wider (The low E and high e are closer to the sides) and neck profile is a shallower C. End result, the SJ200 is much easier to play and feels very spacious as compared to my D55 even though they have the same nut width.

So I think there's much more to playability than nut width.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
My point exactly. If it really miniscule, then why the standard of 1.6875?

Generally speaking, you quite often see 1 11/16" nuts on what one would call a strumming guitar (dread, jumbo) for easier chord changes and barre chords and a wider nut 1 3/4" on OM style guitars which is better suited for finger style. I don't think a "one size fits all" approach is necessarily the best option. Although its interesting that Martin has upgraded all of their guitars to 1 3/4" nut width since 2018. So there's definitely a trend towards the 1 3/4" spec.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Are there folk out there that really cannot comfortably play a 1.75 nut width guitar?

Yes. Classical and nylon string players/instruments leap immediately to mind. Some electric players as well...

I know many, like myself, find the 1.75 more comfortable especially being a strummer, like I am, for the quick chord changes.

It has been my experience that the better a player is, the more sensitive they are to their instrument. So it may be as your playing improves or evolves you might look back and disagree with yourself.

I don't understand why they don't make the standard width on a guitar 1.75 and offer the 1.6875 when requested.

If you believe the guitar has been evolving since the 15th century then the choice is almost certainly rooted in what has worked for builders and players for centuries. It may be, if there are enough people like you who spend money buying new guitars, that the choice will be offered more frequently.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think he meant the other direction, I.e. those who find 1-3/4” too wide. Like me!

The reason there’s no starndard size, is the same reason they make gloves in different sizes; there’s no standard size hand.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It has been my experience that the better a player is, the more sensitive they are to their instrument. . . . .

THIS reversibly explains why I´m not as good a player as Tommy Emmanuel or Chet Atkins or Leo Kottke. I am comfortable with just about anything as long intonation is ok.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The reason there’s no starndard size, is the same reason they make gloves in different sizes; there’s no standard size hand.

ti106780_large.jpg

"With the proper selective screening we could fix that."

leehop71

Reaction score
Not rocket science to know that there IS a standard.

If you could go into ANY guitar store and pull stock, the majority of the guitars would be 1 11/16.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not rocket science to know that there IS a standard.

If you could go into ANY guitar store and pull stock, the majority of the guitars would be 1 11/16.

I'd throw the BS flag at this ("rocket science") but I think we may be using the term standard differently. The fact that guitar nuts are available in different widths says there is NOT a single standard width. The fact that there are more guitars in a store with one width (instead of another) says something about the market place, and player preferences but a simple majority does not establish a single standard.

There is nothing wrong with you for preferring a nut width that is not offered on every new instrument.

To your original question "Are there folk out there that really cannot comfortably play a 1.75 nut width guitar?" the answer is Yes and there enough of them that other sizes are offered.

"I don't understand why they don't make the standard width on a guitar 1.75 and offer the 1.6875 when requested." The answer is that it does not make economic sense. It increases manufacturing costs to do that and it is not as simple as just swapping in a new nut.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Remember, in the 60s, 1-5/8" was more common on Guilds, and Gibson was even thinner with 1-9/16" on their 'leccies.

swiveltung

Reaction score
I'd probably have a Taylor in the herd but cant do the 1.75 nut. It would take a special order. It is surprising how that 1/16" makes a difference for comfort for me. 1.75 is a no go.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd probably have a Taylor in the herd but cant do the 1.75 nut. It would take a special order. It is surprising how that 1/16" makes a difference for comfort for me. 1.75 is a no go.
And that's the thing. Yes, we CAN play nuts that are wider, or smaller, than what we prefer, but that little difference makes it an uncomfortable experience, and will make us not WANT to play them. Its why I got rid of my NH F30, in favor of a late Westerly. Yes, the NH was a better guitar, but it wasn't comfortable.

bobouz

Reaction score
Gotta pass on anything with a 1.75" nut. I've tried to give them a chance, but it's a no go.

The sweet spot is 1-11/16", but even 1-9/16" is doable.

Making 1.75" more prevalent is criminal I tell yuh!

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Personnaly, the 1 23/32" (1.72) nut you find on some Gibsons (as on the SJ200) is the perfect width... not to wide, not to narrow... just right! :biggrin-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Personnaly, the 1 23/32" (1.72) nut you find on some Gibsons (as on the SJ200) is the perfect width... not to wide, not to narrow... just right! :biggrin-new:

ti106780_large.jpg

"E-e-xcellent! Would you care to donate some of your DNA to our standardization project?"

jte

Reaction score
I alternate between different nut widths, scale lengths, and fingerboard radii pretty frequently. I don't have any more trouble executing on my 1.75" nut A50 flattop than I do on the 1 11/16 F47CE. And those aren't even as extreme as going between the the Starfire IV with it's shorter scale length and flatter radius to Strat with the longer scale and 7/25" radius. Then toss in the 34" scale basses and the 35" scale five-string with compound radius... It becomes an easy adaptation to a different instrument, that's all.