1966 d-40

sitka.bc

Reaction score
Hi,

My LGS has an all original 1966 Hoboken D-40 in mint condition, like closet classic. It sounds awesome! It includes a hard case, original? Asking price is $1499. Fair or good price?

W4JOV9o.jpg

tWRwaOh.jpg

pyayGS3.jpg

jgcayBm.jpg

UXLQaPf.jpg

U30MRMu.jpg

ody9SeX.jpg

Last edited:

sunpowder

Reaction score
Nice looking vintage Hoboken Guild! Price tag looks like it says $1999...which I think would be pushing the limits of too high (IMHO).

I would think $1100-$1500 would be decent price depending on the work that may need to be done. If the frets are in good shape, neck angle is good and saddle isn't bottomed out, shouldn't need anything for quite some time.

If you have played it and love the sound, I say, make them an offer and start the haggling. :) It is all about how much you need to bring it home.

I paid $575 for a '67 D-40 a few years ago, but it had a giant poorly repaired back-crack. I didn't care, it sounded huge. I like my guitars to have some wear and tear on them...usually means they have been played a great deal and have opened up over the years. I also don't like to worry about putting a ding in a flawless guitar.

I paid a bit less than $1200 for my '64 F-30 a year ago, but I would have paid $2000 for the tone and number of original songs that have come out of it over the course of my ownership. The D40 is gone. The F30 will never leave.

Reaction score
Looks like a cleaner version of my '65--AJ-299--which after all these years is a very fine-sounding and -playing guitar. Mine's been through a couple neck resets and has a replacement bridge/saddle and shows a bit of wear, all of which would affect its selling price, should I want to sell it, which I can't imagine happening anytime short of the onset of senility or abject poverty-unto-homelessness.

If your ears and hands agree, I'd say that $1499 is not an outrageous price for a clean, original example of a 51-year-old D-40. But then, I'm a spoiled old man with no obligations and an indulgent wife.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
HI Sitka, welcome aboard!
Ya did good asking for feedback before jumping, but maybe you've been quietly reading here for a while and seen the value of asking.
:friendly_wink:
I'm thinking, compared to what you can get new for $1499.00, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat, assuming neckset** is good and everything else is in good condition like frets, bracing, no cracks, etc.
And yeah that case does look original. EXTRA bonus points.
Those do like original tuners, though, and may need replacement.
Hans recently mentioned that true originals will be hard to come by.

For pricing reference, comparison, here's some threads from member Rick Schmidlin when he came across a "time capsule" '64 which admittedly is second or possibly even first year, if it hung around the factory for a few months before actually shipping:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191321-1964-D40-s/page3
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191430-1964-D40-and-looks-new
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?191560-Orig-Tuners-for-44301
Rick has been thoroughly satisfied with his, last I heard.
Oh, yeah, in case you didn't know, moderators will vet your first few posts so don't fret if your next 3 or 4 posts don't show up right away,. but I bet you'll be on "real time" by the weekend.
In the meantime, hie thee hence and nail down that beauty before somebody else does!

** Not knowing how knowledgeable you are about this stuff, in case you don't know how to check neck angle, see this:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html
It's the single most expensive repair that an old Guild might need, and they have a reputation for being difficult, which is somewhat justified but not a "universal given".
That shop should be aware of how to do it right there, and have a suitably long straightedge to use.
Next most expensive repair is a full refret but lots of folks will settle for getting them dressed, although you can only take that so far before they're just too low.
Good look and bring it back alive!
:emmersed:

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Looks great but lots of sound advice to consider before you take the plunge.
Been looking for D40 myself or maybe D46.

beecee

Reaction score
My LGS has an all original 1966 Hoboken D-40 in mint condition

Not sure what the sexual persuasion of a seller has to do with a guitars' value.

Jess sayin' :smiley_simmons:

I do like the shape of the tuner knobs

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My LGS has an all original 1966 Hoboken D-40 in mint condition

Not sure what the sexual persuasion of a seller has to do with a guitars' value.

Jess sayin' :smiley_simmons:

Gotta admit it took me a coupla seconds to realize it meant "Local Guitar Store"
:tongue-new:

I do like the shape of the tuner knobs
And I should take the opportunity to clarify that recently Hans mentioned he bought up a batch of them of unknown origin, and that they were woefully poor quality. Ah, here's the thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ll-out-the-tuner-holes-on-this-69-D-40-or-not

See post number 30, it turns out my memory about "hard to find" apparently wasn't accurate:

"I believe it should be possible to find a good working set that would have been factory correct if the guitar had been made a year before that.
This is what these tuners on a D-40 from 1966 would look like:
D40_tuners.jpg
"

Also should clarify that I meant the store should be aware of how to perform the neck angle check, not necessarily a full-blown re-set.

Last edited:

Br1ck

Reaction score
I have around $1400 in my 70 D 35, $1100 of that a NOS bridg, neck reset and refret, so if it is not immediately in need of major work it's worth that for being clean and older. I'd even pay that and invest in a refret.

I'm another of those who like old beat up guitars.

One more thing to consider. Over a ten year period of playing almost every guitar that was on the used wall at Gryphon strings, I went there weekly, there was a scary reliable correlation between massive honest playwear and tone. I can't tell you how many very clean old D 28s I played that were complete duds, Brazilian or not. The really good ones had been played a lot. I use D 28s as an example because there are a lot of them. A clean old guitar sets off my alarm system.

Play it and decide for yourself.

sunpowder

Reaction score
Price tag looks like it says $1999

Oh, I got it now.

It is listed online at $1999 CAD / $1499 USD

Should have guessed by your handle that your LGS in the great white north. :witless:

Good luck with the D40...Guilds from this era are typically great from my limited experience. Let us know if you get it and how you like it. And, welcome to LTG.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
imo....if that guitar does NOT need a neck reset and you want a vintage D-40....then you found your holy grail. If it does need a reset but you are really wanting a vintage D-40 and have a competent luthier....still you might go for it. The guitar looks lovely...hard for me to believe how great...particularly if it doesn't need some serious work. Good luck!

sitka.bc

Reaction score
The shop says the neck has not been reset and looks good. Also he said the bracing looks good too.

I also found a D-25 '79 with Sitka Spruce top, Solid 'Hog Sides, and Laminated Arch 'Hog Back'. Asking $895 in good condition. I know these are super common for Guilds, anything about the year that would make this a good buy?

Reaction score
Look like a great deal paid more in a trade for my near mint 64 but the 1 3/4 for finger style is the cat's meow! This seems like a very fair price. You will not find one in the condition any time soon. A lot of people told me my 64 was overpriced, but I never saw a equal 64 D 40 since.

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Ditto everyone above. If it's in good condition, you love playing it, and you have the doughr-ray-me, then get it, get it, get it! That's a fair retail-store price.

sunpowder

Reaction score
I also found a D-25 '79 with Sitka Spruce top, Solid 'Hog Sides, and Laminated Arch 'Hog Back'. Asking $895 in good condition.

In my opinion, the '66 D-40 is the better buy here. Nothing particularly rare or special about a '79 D25 in good condition, and the price is fine, but no steal.
If you can swing the D-40 $$$, that is where I would lay my greenbacks.

Good luck.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, the '66 D-40 is the better buy here. Nothing particularly rare or special about a '79 D25 in good condition, and the price is fine, but no steal.
If you can swing the D-40 $$$, that is where I would lay my greenbacks.

Good luck.

Agreed. I love my D25 but given that choice I'd nail down the '40 too.
It'd kinda like the difference between a '57 210/Belair (the D25) and a '63 'Vette split window.
You can fine '57 Chevys all day long.