Westerly Series models discontinued

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But I do like the "GAD" version more than it's "Westerly" successor, because of its block inlays, bindings on the fretboard and slimer neck.
O.k., I see what you mean. Yes, the older GAD versions were better I believe.
Ralf

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Aaaaaah we don’t know they just look better so what about the tonal differences that’s where the money is 😁
So do we have a comparison that pros or cons one over the other ?

cutrofiano

Reaction score
I do not have a representative overview but I had three F-150 RCE GADs here to check and the one I kept sounds better than the other two.
GAD and Westerly are (were) built in the same factory (GREE), so I think tonal differences are within the usual variance within one species.

Moritz

KennethDJenkins

Reaction score
I JUST bought an F-150 from Sam Ash less than a month ago, and I got a clearance price on it. (There are no more). The going price on Sam Ash's website was $999. Then they lowered that price to $699 to move inventory. I had my heart set on a Martin Dreadnought (new or used) around $750-1250. But, I just happened to check eBay, and Sam Ash put a listing on there for the $699 price with a make offer option. I knew there were only 6 left in Sam Ash's warehouse because I talked to a sales associate on the phone, and he happened to tell me how many were left. So I made an offer that was good for me, and realistic for them--$650. And to my surprise, they ACCEPTED! I was on the fence at the $699 price, but the $650 price sealed the deal for me, even though it's a Jumbo. I figured it was a win/win for me--I got a nice guitar to re-activate my playing skills (I haven't played in 35 years), and I got what I thought was a great price on a good investment if I decide later to sell it. For $650 (no tax or shipping), I got a great-sounding guitar with solid Indian rosewood back and sides, and a solid Sitka spruce top, solid Indian rosewood neck, and a fretboard and bridge made of Indian rosewood. I'd prefer that the nut and saddle were bone rather than plastic, and the finish is polyurethane and I'd rather have nitrocellulose. And it needs to be set up, with maybe a fretjob. And I replaced the polyfoam case with a hardshell. But I still think I got a STEAL! If I can keep it in good condition for five years, I see no reason why I couldn't sell it for more than the $1390 list price. I still can't understand why Sam Ash would put such a low price on such a great guitar just to make some room in their warehouse, but I'm an artist, not a businessman. Doesn't the value of something nice go UP when you make it scarce? I don't have to tell you, if Guild comes out with a replacement, as some have hinted at, it's either going to be not as nice, or more expensive, or both! I don't consider myself an impulsive buyer, but I figured if there were only about ten new F-150s left in the country (world?), I had better move fast. So, what do you think? :drunk: Drunk with Joy!

cutrofiano

Reaction score
Congratulations - have fun with your new jumbo :distracted:

Just two little remarks:

...solid Indian rosewood neck...
Mahagony, 3 piece ;-)

And it needs to be set up, with maybe a fretjob.

Not very propable.
I guess these GREE people are too exprienced to let a guitar in the 1k $ range go with frets undone...

Moritz

Last edited:

KennethDJenkins

Reaction score
Cutrofino:

For the errors--my bad. And one more. According to the Guild specs, bone nut and saddle. Also, my opinion on maybe needing a fret filing--The day I came to that conclusion, I played a used Martin D-18 at the local Sam Ash whose frets were pretty darn low. No buzzing that I could hear, but I didn't play with a pick or play it very hard as it was my first visit to that store, and I had no intention of buying any time soon. When I went home, I played my F-150, and aside from the fact that it left the factory without any nut or saddle filing, I noticed how much higher the frets were, as if the D-18 had been played to death. My suspicions were confirmed that it needed a new set of frets when I saw how low the price was. And finally, I'm new to LTG, so I don't know what GREE stands for. I did a search, and the only entry I got was for GREEN. But I gotta tell you, this is my first Guild and my first Jumbo, and the only other acoustic I owned of note was a Gibson J-45 slope-shoulder, which was, to put it mildly, downright subdued compared to the ringing, full volume of the F-150. This baby sings! :biggrin-new:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Moritz:

GREE= Grand Education and Entertainment? :confused: Confused!

HI Kenneth, welcome aboard!
Memory's foggy on the actual name and you we actually surprisingly close (And I suspect I detected a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor with "Education") but I think it's "Grand Reward (and something or other)", which, after some detective work and deduction by forum members here, was identified as the factory in China that made the GAD line of guitars, and pretty sure they make the "Westerly Collection" that replaced 'em.
Fender never ID'd 'em themselves.

KennethDJenkins

Reaction score
HI Kenneth, welcome aboard!
Memory's foggy on the actual name and you we actually surprisingly close (And I suspect I detected a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor with "Education") but I think it's "Grand Reward (and something or other)", which, after some detective work and deduction by forum members here, was identified as the factory in China that made the GAD line of guitars, and pretty sure they make the "Westerly Collection" that replaced 'em.
Fender never ID'd 'em themselves.

Adorshki:

I just composed a nice background paragraph on GREE Brands including quotes and factoids, but my "LTG "timer" expired, and I was told to re-log in. However, when I was sent to a quick reply window afterward, it turned out to be blank. My reply was deleted. Not going to re-reply. If you want more data on GREE Brands (Grand Reward Education and Entertainment), please Google Farida Guitars/GREE.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki:

I just composed a nice background paragraph on GREE Brands including quotes and factoids, but my "LTG "timer" expired, and I was told to re-log in. However, when I was sent to a quick reply window afterward, it turned out to be blank. My reply was deleted. Not going to re-reply.
Trust me I know the feeling.
In fact I was thinking about linking some of the previous threads referring to it but got lazy.
Also, in the early days the MIC guitars didn't get no "respeck" and I didn't want you to get the wrong idea about current weight of opinion around here while reading 10 year old posts. (the GAD line was introduced in '04)
As for the "time out" thing, when you log in, click the "Remember me" box and that'll fix it. (thanks DavismanLV!)
Then y'only have to worry about accidentally hitting the "Windows" button on your keyboard in the middle of a post.
And yeah I've lost paragraphs at a time myself.
:friendly_wink:

jcwu

Reaction score
Also, in the early days the MIC guitars didn't get no "respeck" and I didn't want you to get the wrong idea about current weight of opinion around here while reading 10 year old posts. (the GAD line was introduced in '04)

I seem to recall some controversy about firewood...

KennethDJenkins

Reaction score
...Also, in the early days the MIC guitars didn't get no "respeck" and I didn't want you to get the wrong idea about current weight of opinion around here while reading 10 year old posts. (the GAD line was introduced in '04)...

Adorshki:

They may be "accepted," but I'd still rather have An Oxnard Guild, just as I'd rather have a guitar made in Nazareth from that "other" guitar company...

cutrofiano

Reaction score
I just composed a nice background paragraph on GREE Brands including quotes and factoids... [...] Not going to re-reply...
Let me add this, GAD vs Westerly:

F-150%20CE%20GAD%20vs%20Westerly.jpg

Both have quality tags like this here:

Endkontrolle.jpg

"GR" most propably stands for "Grand Reward...".

Moritz

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
JCWU:

Firewood???!!! OUCH!!! That seems pretty brutal to me...LOL...Not really that bad , I hope...:hororr: Horrors!

Since he rarely comes out to defend himself anymore except for string threads, I'll throw our member Bluesypicky under the bus here and recount that his actual reference was to burning 'em and burying the ashes deep.
At the time nobody realized he was serious.
:glee:
Since I mentioned it I should probably take this opportunity to warn you that "string threads" take a lot of flack around here too:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-Last-String-Thread/page2&highlight=groundhog

KennethDJenkins

Reaction score
Since he rarely comes out to defend himself anymore except for string threads, I'll throw our member Bluesypicky under the bus here and recount that his actual reference was to burning 'em and burying the ashes deep.
At the time nobody realized he was serious...
:glee:
adorshki:

Someone should tell Bluesypicky that those producers of firewood are dethroning America as "King of the World." My F-150 was made in Guangdong Province, and I bought it 'cuz it was clearance priced. I'd rather have a D-18, but my budget said "no." And this will be fine for getting back my guitar fingers...