Music and the Brain

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I'm sure us LTGers already know about the positive effects, psychological and chemical, of music on us (our brains to be specific). Today, on NPR there was a cool spot which discussed the profound effects that music can have on our brain functioning, and ultimately on the quality of our lives. I've been playing, singing or listening to music from at least the age of 7 or 8. Now, in my "senior years," I'm 71, it not only continues to enrich my experience of life, but actually represents a new lease on life for me, as I begin to retire from teaching. So, I'd like to hear from LTGers their experience with music, and especially how the guitar, especially a Guild guitar, enhances the experience. From time to time, an LTGer will post an anecdote or comment about what their spouse thinks of "guitar collecting." Just remind him/her how much playing music means to you and to him/her, and how much pleasure you derive from surrounding yourself with quality guitars that contribute so much to our peace of mind.

Rich

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

0.30 past midnight here - time to hit the hay - but your writing is definitively going to give me nice dreams - Thank You !!!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Rich:
To me the great thing about music is the enjoyment you get from it as a listener or player. And when you make improvement in one area-what a feeling of satisfaction maybe something as simple as hitting that "walk up" from D chord to G in "Precious Lord Take My Hand on Guild. It gives me one more thing to be enthusiastic about-a key to happiness.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Rich:
To me the great thing about music is the enjoyment you get from it as a listener or player. And when you make improvement in one area-what a feeling of satisfaction maybe something as simple as hitting that "walk up" from D chord to G in "Precious Lord Take My Hand on Guild. It gives me one more thing to be enthusiastic about-a key to happiness.

Stuball48,
I can't argue with that! :rapture:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rich, if you haven't read it yet you should get a copy of "Musicophilia: Tales Of Music And The Brain" by the late Dr. Oliver Sacks.

I have chosen volunteer music therapy as my retirement activity. Several years ago I incorporated the organization "Eldermusic, Inc." and we obtained 501(c)(3) status. We do monthly one hour interactive music sessions with the residents of over 18 different Alzheimer's facilities. Over the past 5 year I have played over 1,000 of these gigs, and almost all of them with my old D-25M, which is particularly well suited tonally for leading sing-alongs.

I could blather on and on about this, but our mission statement really says it all: "restoring joy and hope through live music." People who are apparently lost in the fog of dementia will come alive when we start singing, it's like flipping a switch. They go from lethargic to happy and participating, even folks that are in the advanced stages of dementia.

Research shows that the best benefits are derived when 1. the music is live, 2. the sessions are participative, and 3. they take place on a regular basis.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Rich, if you haven't read it yet you should get a copy of "Musicophilia: Tales Of Music And The Brain" by the late Dr. Oliver Sacks.

I have chosen volunteer music therapy as my retirement activity. Several years ago I incorporated the organization "Eldermusic, Inc." and we obtained 501(c)(3) status. We do monthly one hour interactive music sessions with the residents of over 18 different Alzheimer's facilities. Over the past 5 year I have played over 1,000 of these gigs, and almost all of them with my old D-25M, which is particularly well suited tonally for leading sing-alongs.

I could blather on and on about this, but our mission statement really says it all: "restoring joy and hope through live music." People who are apparently lost in the fog of dementia will come alive when we start singing, it's like flipping a switch. They go from lethargic to happy and participating, even folks that are in the advanced stages of dementia.

Research shows that the best benefits are derived when 1. the music is live, 2. the sessions are participative, and 3. they take place on a regular basis.

Right, Dreadnut. I do remember you mentioning it. It sounds great! And I'll certainly look into Dr. Sacks' book.

Rich

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
They made a movie about Dr. Sacks and one of his patients "Awakenings" with Robert DeNiro and Robin Williams.

A more recent movie on the subject of music and dementia is "Alive Inside."