Hog vs. Spruce

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've finally had a chance to make a video comparing my all hog '92 F15ce with my spruce and maple '87 F45ce. (I had to wait until I could restring them for a concert with the same strings.)

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Purty guits!

Spruce is good except on Taylors, which need mahogany tops to tame the highs and push out the mids. (Unfortunately, that does nothing for how they look.)

Might get a mahogany LG-0 for my sister. She's a sap for cheap old Gibsons.

Keep on pluckin'!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoops, it looks like while I was focusing on the milliseconds for my edits, I skipped a beat. Oh well.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
nice video Chris, you sound great. that mahogany top sure sounds sweet. got any Talking Heads songs brother? how about "Heaven" that should be super easy. your recording situation is spot on, nice work!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great vid! Really enjoyed hearing the distinct differences between these two - well done!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course, it’s not as pure a comparison as my first one (M-20 vs. F-20) since the back/sides are different as well; so you have to keep in mind the maple component in the F45ce.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nicely done :) I like the warmer and the more balanced mids of the hog , the Sitka maple seemed to be a little duller in the area of what looked like the Em chord .

I wouldn’t kick either to the curb though lol