What's the deal on Maderia...DeArmond...???

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
(thanks Al for the spelling correction!).
"De Nada" :friendly_wink:
I can't imagine it would have been very cost effective to ship parts to Japan for assembly, when these factories were fully set up to crank out guitars from the get go. I typically would pay fairly close attention to some of these smaller details at the time, and can't recall ever hearing of any US-to-Japan shipping arrangements for Madeiras.
Well freight costs were a LOT cheaper back then, and possibly offset by the labor cost/contract manufacturing model, and when I think about it, it's not so much different from Fender providing the wood for the GAD models so they could be in control of the actual wood quality.
I definitely recall that as being confirmed here a long time ago, but I could be wrong, and the other thing that occurred to me is they maybe they only did it when production was moved to Korea, as the Korean factories weren't up to the quality levels of the lower-end Japanese factories until the mid-80's.
Maybe it was a way of utilizing materials they didn't want to use for US models but had still paid for?
Ahhhh...in fact here's that member's web site I mentioned earlier:
https://aoxoa.co/madeira-guild-acoustic-guitar/

Gonna go get a refresher course now.
:friendly_wink: