Ngd - x97v

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
See this thread for history: http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?196101-Attention-GAD-amp-GROT

I got the guitar today. Quick and dirty phone pic because I need to run out:

IMG_5691_1600.jpg

Observations:

The Wonderbar trem is an abomination and the installation is a train-wreck. It's designed for a wider fretboard so the high E string is off the side of the neck by the 7th fret. I don't know how he played the damn thing. You can actually see this in the pic. I have a feeling that it's loose because it doesn't look that way in the pics he sent me, but I don't care because it's coming off. I just hope it's not hiding more sins that will become visible when I remove it.

The neck feels surprisingly chunky, but I haven't measured so take that with a grain of salt. It's weird to play a maple-fretboard Guild. Electronics all work and it sounds fine.

It definitely feels like a Guild, but it's got some odd design choices here and there that I'll point out when I write it up. It's hard to judge it with that awful bridge on it, though.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
A pic from the seller - I'm not annoyed about the bridge because I knew it would be a disaster from this pic. Look at the high-E and how it lines up (as in, does not at all) over the pickup pole pieces.

09-WonderBar-ArmOn.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
could u change the washburn bridge to the Stienberger Trans-Trem bridge, which the Washburn was trying to (unsuccessfully) copy? then u could play "Summer Nights" by Eddie Van Halen, while simultaneously commiting triple homicide!

seriously though, that type of bridge should be hanging off the end of the body into thin air, right? so u could accurately bend/lock it in the higher pitch? the washburn is mounted right on the body of the Guild, it would just hit the body instead of floating to the higher pitch (down) setting, right? that looks wrong.

GAD i bet u could get the cosmetic damage fixed up and re-rainbow flaked to basically look perfect. and use whatever bridge u want!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
could u change the washburn bridge to the Stienberger Trans-Trem bridge, which the Washburn was trying to (unsuccessfully) copy? then u could play "Summer Nights" by Eddie Van Halen, while simultaneously commiting triple homicide!

seriously though, that type of bridge should be hanging off the end of the body into thin air, right? so u could accurately bend/lock it in the higher pitch? the washburn is mounted right on the body of the Guild, it would just hit the body instead of floating to the higher pitch (down) setting, right? that looks wrong.

GAD i bet u could get the cosmetic damage fixed up and re-rainbow flaked to basically look perfect. and use whatever bridge u want!

There's so much wrong with this bridge install I don't even know where to begin. :)

Grot's going to get this when I'm done and we've agreed to restore it to it's original config. That original config isn't anything to write home about (import 6-point Strat trem), and we talked about putting a better bridge on there, but original is original when it comes to collectors.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll admit that it's not the most graceful looking thing out there, but it's cool because it's a prototype. Also, I think it's pretty clear why it only stayed as a prototype. :)

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That’s one crazy bridge/whammy bar unit. It looks like it was engineered for a starship!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Got a proper bridge, or as close as I could according to what Hans told me was on there and mounted it up today. The damage caused by the WonderBar is pretty severe, but it didn't prevent the Strat-type bridge from being reinstalled. It plays SO much better and sounds better too which is kind of amusing considering the fact that this is a low-end Japanese import bridge that I would never in a million years choose, but man did that WonderBar screw up this guitar.

Now the strings line up over the pole pieces, the high E actually stays on the neck all the way, and the guitar is actually playable.

5D3_8640_1600.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
[MG]https://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-fysa4ye2c1/products/5493/images/4669/Essie_Sparkle_On_Top_3018__76626.1490030608.1280.1280.jpg[/IMG]
Clear nail polish with sparkles. It wasn't as obvious as I thought it was :)

OOOH!! Might try some of that next time I wanna drop-fill a divot in the D25.....

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I gotta tell ya, with the crappy import bridge on there and decked to dive-only with five springs, this thing sounds killer! I don't think I've ever played another maple fretboard Guild electric before. I'm not even sure I've ever seen one! The XR-7 pickups have been pretty hit and miss for me in the past, but coupled with the long scale maple fretboard and neck coupled with the strat-like sheet-metal saddles make this thing have a pretty unique tone for a Guild that seems to work especially well with some gnarly gain.