Nanci Griffith- I wish it would rain....

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a love hate relationship with Nanci Griffith but mostly she's been amazing. And her concerts wear you out!! that girl can SING ALL NIGHT!! And I love her. So here we go with a GUILD sighting.... c'mon kids.... let's ID the GUILD!!!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That is a really young Nancy Griffith! Maybe late 70's, early 80's. I am a fan of her music... One Fair Summer Evening and Other Voices, Other Rooms are great albums. I always enjoyed her version of "From a Distance" (Julie Gold). She has a good ear for songs and songwriters.

I would guess that she is playing a F-30.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Bill, "Other Voices, Other Rooms" is one of my FAVES!!! That's when she was at her best. She can get a bit .... TWANGY? Is that a good word? I know people from Texas but JEEZE she gives whiny nasal a whole new meaning!! But I do love her. Early stuff, "There's a Light Beyond These Woods, Mary Margaret." What a sweet and wonderful song! And her version of "Tecumseh Valley" is amazing. That's one of those songs I can't listen to, sing, or get through without breaking down. Townes Van Zandt did some amazing work. One of my favorite quotes was when a woman asked him after a concert, "Why are your songs so sad?" And he replied, "My songs aren't sad, they're hopeless."

It was one of my favorite distinctions about emotions......

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
This is the first time I've heard of an F-42. A quick Google search shows a couple listed on Reverb... small jumbo, flat back w/ mahogany back & sides, scalloped bracing, slotted-diamond inlays. A George Gruhn co-designed acoustic guitar. Is that a 16" lower bout? Was it a limited run?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is the first time I've heard of an F-42. A quick Google search shows a couple listed on Reverb... small jumbo, flat back w/ mahogany back & sides, scalloped bracing, slotted-diamond inlays. A George Gruhn co-designed acoustic guitar. Is that a 16" lower bout?[/quoted]

Was it a limited run?
Not technically a "Limited Edition", just one of those short-lived ( 2years in s/n list) models, outlived by the F44/46 which were introduced at same time but only lasted a couple-to-4 years before "GF" 's were introduced.
I didn't remember ever hearing about F42's myself until someone mentioned it a couple of weeks back.

CA-35

Reaction score
Thomas I love Nanci's "twangy" voice. This is one of my favorites............enjoy

Last edited: