Best way to sell from Canada

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So..as I'm looking at 73 before long I'm deciding to estranged my self from some o my guitars..starting with my F512. And Tacoma D55.. there is a terrific store that can ship anywhere as they have the Cities papers....or there's Reverb.. or the hassle of getting the permit myself...so suggestions as how to make these accessible in the STATES ? Have you done this successfully? Many thanks.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
How far from the border are you Steffan? If it's not to bad that might be the best option, especially if you sell it to someone in the states. You could always go visit Joe while you're at it!

Last edited:

taabru45

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very close. West coast..stupid regs on personal instruments especially when they were made in the USA

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Very close. West coast..stupid regs on personal instruments especially when they were made in the USA

Do they check them at the border. I don't think I've ever crossed the Canadian border with a guitar in tow, so I don't know.

ClydeTower

Reaction score
Have bought 4 RW guitars in the states and brought them into Canada myself. That is allowed, no need for cities paperwork. All border agents are concerned about is that you pay your taxes. I have also sold RW guitars to Americans. If the selling price is less than 3k, you pay a 10$ import fee at the US border. If more than 3k, it is concidered a commercial sale and higher import fees apply.

In both scenarios, make sure you have the bill of sale, credit card or bank statement for the amout sold. You have to be able to prove how much the selling price was, especially if it is below market value. All this applies if the guitar was made in North America. Else, you will also pay duty.

If you need more info, pm me I’m glad to help :)

wileypickett

Reaction score
I'm in Boston. I play in Montreal at least once a year, and sometimes more often than that, and have been doing so since 2004, always with at least a couple guitars in tow. Occasionally I'm asked about whether I'm carrying merchandise to sell, but I've never been asked any questions about what guitars I'm carrying.

Reaction score
I was stuck in Canada for seven years. Getting guitars from the states could be a problem based on tax. For shipping back to the good ol US i just wrote "Sent for repair"