NGD: NS X-175B question

beanbass

Reaction score
Actually it was about 2 weeks ago that I purchased a Newark Street X-175 B. It's from 2016, and it's in pristine condition.

I played my first gig with it Tuesday night, and I have to say this axe sounds and feels absolutely amazing! The neck just feels so incredibly comfortable, and those Franz pickups are really toneful.

The only thing I have to get used to is the distance between the two volume knobs, and being able to move them in unison when using both pickups. That and keeping the Bigsby in tune, as it's my very first ever Bigsby, in my 47 years of playing.

My question is, have any of you NS players had a need for treble bleed resistor/cap, due to losing highs when you turn down?
MB

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm having trouble understanding the phrase "turn down". :emmersed:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My NS Aristocrat's vol pots have an abrupt taper for sure. I often roll one or the other pot down a notch, two notches tops, for snappier or sweeter dual-pickup sounds but I don't push it any further. I've put treble bleed networks in a number of guitars, but the Aristo's guts are a bear to get at so I've left it alone. On a 175, with the wiring harness accessible via the f-holes, I'd likely give it a shot.

-Dave-

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
The only thing I have to get used to is the distance between the two volume knobs, and being able to move them in unison when using both pickups.
You could get a master volume installed. You might be able to get the non-invasive kind with a small dial under the edge of the pickguard. I'm not sure what the pot values are, but a good luthier with solid electronics experience can probably help you find the right combination of pot value and caps to smooth out the taper. I don't have a NS myself, so I'm not so familiar with how they're wired.

beanbass

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, folks. I think I will go with the under-guard thumbwheel pot.

If anyone does know the best pot value for the Franz pickups, please chime in.

thanks,
MB

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, folks. I think I will go with the under-guard thumbwheel pot.

If anyone does know the best pot value for the Franz pickups, please chime in.

I'm pretty sure the NS guitars with reissue Franzes (Franzen?) use 500K pots. Wouldn't be surprised if the oldies vary a bit.

-Dave-