Acoustic Bass

Reaction score
Hi all

I'm new at playing bass.. Started my class and learning the ropes..

Like I said in another thread, I was lucky that one of my buddy had and old bass and Amp laying around and sold it to me pretty cheap..

Bass is a Yamaha RBX 200, so entry level but it's working out great for a Newby..

Amp is Ampeg B-40 combo from 1973 .. Sounds amazing..

Purpose of this post is that I'm traveling a lot for my job and carrying all this to practice in hotel room's is not realy realistic.. I'm thinking of buying an acoustic bass to go on the road..

What do you guys think and any suggestions on what to buy..

Thanks in advance

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, in case I didn't say it before.

Traveling with any bass is a PITA. That said, a solid body instrument well packed in a sturdy case is probably easier to travel with than an acoustic. I might suggest that you travel with the Yamaha and invest in a headphone amp or practice amp. A quick search says you have lots of choices under $50.

If your budget gets up to $125 or so you might consider the Tascam GB-10. It is basically a headphone amp that lets you play along with your music files. You can modify the speed and/or pitch of the music playback so it can be a fun system for learning parts from recording. I have the first generation which uses CDs as the music source. Some times I wish I bought the footswitch but never enough to actually try and find one. I appreciate the AC adapter but it is not clear whether one is even available for the GB-10. A quick search suggests some dealers offer just the basic trainer while others offer a package that at least includes phones.

So I might suggest making sure you have a case that is up to the job, buy a headphone amp, and take the Yamaha.

As acoustic basses go, I would not recommend the vintage acoustics B50 and B30 because they are huge. There are car trunks that are too small for the B50. I find the B50 awkward to play and a beginner might get discouraged.

The B4 is smaller but you would have to find a used one. Last I checked prices were all over the map $400-$1200.

There is the B54 out of New Hartford. I played a prototype for about 5 minutes but have no experience. But again, you are looking at the used market and prices over $1000.

The Guild Jumbo Junior Bass is certainly smaller. Street price is probably close to $400 but the scale length is different. That may or may not bother you.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i'd look for a Newark Street Starfire 1 (semi-hollow) which will sound pretty good unplugged in a hotel room with no guitars accompanying you, but ultimately is electric and should be plugged in (same as any "acoustic" bass). good luck and have fun!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Since veer is our habit - how about getting something like Steinberger-style electric bass + powered headphones.

Extremely compact - definitively non-disturbing - also usable with power amps.

Reaction score
Thanks all for the input..

To answer the question mostly Driving every 2 weeks... But have to fly to China 3 times a year plus another 4 to 6 trips flying to Toronto or the US..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input..

To answer the question mostly Driving every 2 weeks... But have to fly to China 3 times a year plus another 4 to 6 trips flying to Toronto or the US..

Time to tell you about "instrument passports" because I'll bet you'll be glad you have it at least once in the near future:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-Regs-for-US-citizens-Official-FWS-newsletter
Specteur it sound like you're not actually a US citizen but I suspect your country will have adopted very similar paperwork structures since virtually every nation is a CITES signatory and the intent of the regs is to facilitate mutual reciprocation and ease of customs clearance with an appropriate document.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi all

I'm new at playing bass.. Started my class and learning the ropes..

Like I said in another thread, I was lucky that one of my buddy had and old bass and Amp laying around and sold it to me pretty cheap..

Bass is a Yamaha RBX 200, so entry level but it's working out great for a Newby..

Amp is Ampeg B-40 combo from 1973 .. Sounds amazing..

Purpose of this post is that I'm traveling a lot for my job and carrying all this to practice in hotel room's is not realy realistic.. I'm thinking of buying an acoustic bass to go on the road..

What do you guys think and any suggestions on what to buy..

Thanks in advance

Welcome Specteur! If I were looking for a travel size bass, I'd probably go with the Traveler TB-4P. It's very well-regarded over at Talkbass and in general. It fits into an overhead bin and has a built-in headphone amp and a mini pin input for a portable music player. Looks kinda cool too!

122151542-origpic-0e8955.jpg

Reaction score
Wow.. I didn't know I needed all that.. Sure hope I don't get stop at the border going back..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Wow.. I didn't know I needed all that.. Sure hope I don't get stop at the border going back..
Truth to tell we've had reports of very lax enforcement but the risk of having an instrument seized due to containing rosewood is real.
You could probably get away with the personal carry exemption but I just wanted to introduce you to the issue so you can make your own decision and have an idea of what traveling musicians might have to deal with at any border. Getting something that proves what and/or when your guitar was made should help validate your personal exemption to carry up to 20lbs of rosewood with you across a border.
Just focus on finding out if your country has an equivalent to an instrument certificate or personal exemption as described in that link:

"Under CITES, the term “personal or household effects” means specimens that are personally owned and legally acquired, and worn, carried, or included in personal baggage or are part of a household move. Generally speaking, items that meet this definition are exempt from CITES requirements. However, not all CITES Parties implement the personal effects exemption or implement it similarly, so please be sure to check with the relevant CITES Authorities to determine if your item qualifies for the exemption. "

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for this info..

It's what we do 'round here!
:friendly_wink:
PS I'm thinking the most likely parts for rosewood would be the fretboard (and bridge if you go acoustic), but ebony's at risk as well.
True Mahogany neck is also CITES listed now.
But there's a definite trend among makers to use unlisted woods wherever possible now and if you're buying "new" this might help.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I did assume travel was by airplane...

But I might offer the suggestion that this is not yet a problem to be solved by buying a new bass. I found that my idea of what was a good bass for me changed significantly during my first year of playing. My budget did not allow me to risk upgrading to or adding the wrong instrument. So I focused on the amp as the travel problem :)

Reaction score
Thanks all..

Decided to go the Tascam GB-10 way with good headphones..

Did try a Fender acoustic Bass and loved it.. Had to ran out of the the store before buying it.. Had a hard time finding arguments to explain to my wife how I was now owning two Bass and a B-40 when 2 weeks ago I couldn't even play a note... 😂

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Had a hard time finding arguments to explain to my wife how I was now owning two Bass and a B-40 when 2 weeks ago I couldn't even play a note... ��

Oh you'll fit right in here, don't worry.
There IS a Guild in you future, it's just about inevitable.
And then another..and another..because no 2 are alike....
:glee: