"Vintage" Brand 575 Project

dklsplace

Reaction score
Couldn't help myself. Guitarfetish has a number of the Vintage brand bodies in various stages of finish, in one of their store/factory buy outs. One of these *-175-ish guitars popped up several weeks back & I thought long & hard about it, but waited too long & someone else bought it. This weekend I looked around again after getting the latest newsletter with discount codes & there was another. Put it in my cart to see if the codes were working, then kept shopping other hardware. Good things come to those that wait - while I was still browsing, someone was doing a site update & the price dropped another $20 while it was in my cart. :victorious:

Thinking this is one that my oldest can use in the high school jazz band. He has borrowed a couple of my guitars & amps for concerts, but I'm always tense seeing how they throw stuff around when trying to get set up quickly after the other high school bands. I'll let him put some sweat equity into it getting it finished.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll be interested in your impressions, once you've done a setup on it. GT seems to have a fairly good rep for cheap pickups. No idea about the guitars, though.

dklsplace

Reaction score
I'll be interested in your impressions, once you've done a setup on it. GT seems to have a fairly good rep for cheap pickups. No idea about the guitars, though.

I've tried several different varieties of the GFS pickups over the years. None really sucked, but I can't honestly say that any had the kind of sound that I dream about. As far as their line of guitars, I had one of their early shell top guitars that was quite amazing. Also have one of the jazzmaster style guitars that was a luthier special with sharp frets & weak pickups. Fixed the frets, but haven't touched the pickups yet.....that sucker weighs a ton.

Most of the other stuff I've bought has been from their factory buyouts, so they aren't their own line. This latest is a https://vintageguitarsus.com/ brand. I had these available when I still had my retail license several years ago, but never had any through my hands at the time. I think these were part of the Trevor Wilkinson brain trust when he was pretty active in the guitar design/building industry. I haven't quite decided if I want to finish it out in a more traditional ES-175 jazz feel, or go with a Bigsby, P90's chicken head knobs & do a full on Walter Broes X-175 rockabilly guitar. :cool:

dklsplace

Reaction score
Me again. I wonder why they discontinued the 575 but continue to make the 535? :mellow:

Anyway - it'll be awhile before the decision is made about hardware, but it's fun to see what "might" be.

This:

Or.......

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a Vintage V100 Les Paul goldtop-type that I converted to a 70s style Les with the mini hums and I really like it. Took a little modding, but it came out really nicely.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't even know they made these guitars! I've seen plenty of solidbodies from them over the years, but never one like this. Cool guitar!