Ngd a d-46 for free!!

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
So there we were, sitting in a quickie mart parking lot along I-20 east of beautiful downtown Terrell, Texas, when up walks a guy with a genuine Guild guitar case.

AND HE HANDS IT TO ME!! :victorious::victorious:

Turns out there's a pretty darned nice D-46(ash bodied yet) in it, sans strings. Now to clean it up a little and re-string it.

Pics to follow.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
d-46-001.jpg
d-46-002.jpg
d-46-003.jpg

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice looking D46. Wish I could be so lucky. Keep me posted.
Hope you enjoy it.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Okay, a quick observation or two....

While it wasn't subjected to significant physical abuse, there is a layer of munge that is not coming off with the first or second application of Martin guitar cleaner/polish. The sides have something going on that makes me nervous to go further. If it were mine, I'd mess around with Naptha and the like, but I'm not comfortable doing that to yours, with only a week to delivery. The back of the neck is skinned off to bare wood and would drive me crazy and would require a touch-up/refinish if it were staying.

On the very plus plus side, the nut and saddle are original - uncut unsanded unground or abused. A quick straightedge test is stellar. The action and playability should be GREAT.

The case has been abused - the hinges don't; the pins are gone. I hope that was clear on the purchase discussion.

All in all, lots of upside. I think you'll like it.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All is fine and seller was upfront. Not expecting a new condition guitar but one that is a player.
You feel free to do what you wish. My guitar teacher is a very very good luthier and will let him go over it. Treat it like it is yours and let me know your impression of how it sounds.
It comes with lots of mojo. Ha
Thanks again and looking forward to meeting you and your wife.
Will bring any of the following sets of strings for you:
Ej 14
Ej 16
Ej 17
Ej 19

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
There's a lot going on in this thread that I don't understand, but one thing is clear - I'm envious of the grain on the back!

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Seller was up front. I have a metal shop and can fix case.
I wanted a player not one I was afraid to share. Looking forward to sound report.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The D 46 is a fine guitar. I especially like the ones without the Rosewood strip in the middle of the back. I don't understand the thread either but if the guitar giver away fella feels like travelin', send him up to Barton City, Michigan. I'll buy beer and burgers.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Been wanting a 3rd tonewood guild acoustic. Had pretty much settled on Mahogany D40 and then discovered D46 (ash back and sides). Low and behold a D46 shows up on Dallas CL and I buy it. Very nervous about shipping and out of the blue CosmicArkie (who happen to live 30 miles from seller) offers to hand deliver it as he will be staying overnight in Dickson. The seller and CosmicArkie met this afternoon and Cosmic has a D46. I am a trusting soul.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been wanting a 3rd tonewood guild acoustic. Had pretty much settled on Mahogany D40 and then discovered D46 (ash back and sides). Low and behold a D46 shows up on Dallas CL and I buy it. Very nervous about shipping and out of the blue CosmicArkie (who happen to live 30 miles from seller) offers to hand deliver it as he will be staying overnight in Dickson. The seller and CosmicArkie met this afternoon and Cosmic has a D46. I am a trusting soul.

We call that "enabling" around here, and we tend to do alot of it. Congratz on the new guitar!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ooo that is nice and I like the center strip on the back . I’ve seen a few pics of that model before but don’t remember that center strip on them .

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....and out of the blue CosmicArkie (who happen to live 30 miles from seller) offers to hand deliver it as he will be staying overnight in Dickson. The seller and CosmicArkie met this afternoon and Cosmic has a D46. I am a trusting soul.

Ah, I wondered what in the heck was going on! Very cool. Yeah, that back bookmatch is very nice.....

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Around here we call that being "Guild neighborly!"

That's the standard center strip on the two-piece back. richardp69 was referring to the three-piece back with a wedge of rosewood in the center. They did this when they didn't have large enough piece of ash for a two-piece back.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Now it all makes sense. :)

Cool story and a cool guitar!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
CosmicArkie will put some strings on it soon and give me a "how does it sound" report.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And CosmicArkie has my blessing to post as many pix as he wishes-both good and bad.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Got back and spent a little time on the bench with this one. After a more thorough cleaning, I'm left believing we have a situation discussed here: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?188931-Finishes/page8 - in post #74 in particular. Definitely a textured effect mostly on the lower bout sides with another area in the middle of the back.

Strung it up with some EJ-14's. Very nice mellow tone. Not quite as mellow as an all 'hog D-15, but not as bright as my rosewood DCE-5. Nice, deep, sustaining effect. I like it. May have to keep it. :wink-new:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks Cosmic and will take that as a positive report on "how does it sound" but sense you are advising me to be on the lookout for a different case.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Definitely. I spent a little time trying to clean up the exterior and contact cementing the tolex that was peeling, but the interior and guitar makes me think that it would be a good thing to replace.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Definitely. I spent a little time trying to clean up the exterior and contact cementing the tolex that was peeling, but the interior and guitar makes me think that it would be a good thing to replace.
On the other hand it may be all gassed out by now.
Should try throwing another one in there for a couple of years to see what happens.
:glee: