DV76 on the Way

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Slight thread veer...

This thread along with my recent thread about Stu's D-46 suggests that there may be a need and a possible means to an ongoing issue - the movement of fragile instruments from one place to another. What with so many of us traveling, what say we open a thread on possible transportation among/between members?
I, certainly, would be for it because as of Friday I will benefit from such and will be much more relaxed when CosmicArkie hands me the guitar than I would have been getting it from shipping service.
And for a couple days you get to enjoy another guitar.
My two regular routes are Dickson, TN to Atlanta and Dickson to Washington DC.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Adorshki,

I strongly disagree with your conclusion, for several reasons, but this is not the "forum" for debating this issue. But thanks for flagging it.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki,

I strongly disagree with your conclusion, for several reasons, but this is not the "forum" for debating this issue. But thanks for flagging it.

Realizing you may have been unaware of the ramifications I tried to keep it down to "just the facts".
And I don't mean to downgrade your good fortune or intent, so yes this may not be the right thread but I think it's entirely relevant to the forum itself:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...-Regs-for-US-citizens-Official-FWS-newsletter

PM sent.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Slight thread veer...

This thread along with my recent thread about Stu's D-46 suggests that there may be a need and a possible means to an ongoing issue - the movement of fragile instruments from one place to another. What with so many of us traveling, what say we open a thread on possible transportation among/between members?

Irrespective of the possible CITES issues, as someone who constantly in an airplane and who would love to help, there is no way I'd volunteer for such a mission. Ever.

I would also never take a guitar on a plane. At the FA's whim, that guitar goes below. Argue with them and you're kicked off the flight. Push it and you face arrest. It is a serious crap-shoot on planes and I can tell you that your guitar is one pissed-off FA from luggage-check hell. Sure it might often work and I see lots of people in airports with guitars, but as a very frequent flyer I would never do it.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Irrespective of the possible CITES issues, as someone who constantly in an airplane and who would love to help, there is no way I'd volunteer for such a mission. Ever.

I would also never take a guitar on a plane. At the FA's whim, that guitar goes below. Argue with them and you're kicked off the flight. Push it and you face arrest. It is a serious crap-shoot on planes and I can tell you that your guitar is one pissed-off FA from luggage-check hell. Sure it might often work and I see lots of people in airports with guitars, but as a very frequent flyer I would never do it.

Having just re-read that FWS letter for about the 5th time, I also have to admit that I'm no longer as certain as I was about a "violation" occurring, even an "innocent one".
There's gray areas and loopholes as big as an F612 in all the verbiage.
Awagner was a real gentleman in his response.
And didn't mean to imply Joe was cheering an unethical activity, either.
To your primary point:
When I was a kid my first classical guitar was damaged by American Airlines who insisted it had to go "baggage" in a chipboard case even though it was expressly allowed for carry-on when ticket was purchased.
Had to fight the f---ers to pay for the repair.
To this day I boycott 'em where I can.

bobouz

Reaction score
I hate virtually everything about flying - in particular, the part where you are essentially treated like cattle.

Therefore, I only fly if I absolutely have to. These days, that mostly boils down to someone in the family having a crisis. I'd never take a decent guitar on a plane, but I would consider taking my travel-designated Epi EL-00. It's small enough to throw into the overhead, but if someone insisted, they could place it on the runway & drive over it, and life would go on with hardly a blip on my musical radar!

CosmicArkie

Reaction score

I wasn't really suggesting traveling on planes with guitars. Hellfire, I will never again fly anywhere. But I'd be happy to provide a ride for a member's axe if it is headed the same direction. DFW area to Nashville to Grand Rapids, MI area this weekend with slight veers along the way, for example.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I wasn't really suggesting traveling on planes with guitars. Hellfire, I will never again fly anywhere. But I'd be happy to provide a ride for a member's axe if it is headed the same direction. DFW area to Nashville to Grand Rapids, MI area this weekend with slight veers along the way, for example.

Sorry - I misunderstood, then. A nice drive with a guitar sounds just fine with me. :)

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Considering what one has to go through with one bag, I'd never suggest saddling someone with the responsibility of an instrument, too. :victorious:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I have a silly question I need answered; what does NGD stand for??
thanks fellows,
Tony
'84 D40
'87 D50
'96 D4
'98 D30 AB
'98 D225 (12 string)
'00 Taylor 414ce

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Quick update. My client had to reschedule his trip, so the guitar is still in London.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
NGD = New Gear Day you silly Guild people 😁

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Nah,
If I were to actually acquire another guitar it would be Need Good Divorce Lawyer.....