Which strings work best for your Guild?

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
Back in the 70s I had a jumbo blond Madeira 12 string. Cannot remember the model, maybe 712? Anyway, I remember it never sounded right unless I used Guild strings. Nothing else sounded correct. It was a real challenge to keep them on hand as I was young, and didn't have much money, and they were not available everywhere. I was always on the lookout for vendors.
I believe the choice of string makes a huge difference in tone. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to be very anal in string choice. My favorite brand for the last several years has been DR. They are made in New Jersey. I was actually not aware of the fact that Alfred Dronge's son Mark owns the company. Kind of a odd coincidence!
Does anyone else use DR?

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have used Martins, Elixirs, GHS, and D'Addario and seemed to have settled on D'Addario EJ14s (kinda hybrid string set) for DV52 and D46 and Epi Masterbilt. Use EJ16 on JF65.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I use D'Addario EJ17s (Mediums) on all my six-strings.

I've tried about every brand out there, including many so-called boutique brands. Plenty of good ones, but D'Addarios sound as good (or better) as any, and they're affordable, especially if you buy in bulk. I just look for the best online deal.

NOTE: I play only in open tunings and I tune the low E down to B or C. Mediums might not be what you want if you mainly play in standard.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Back in the 70s I had a jumbo blond Madeira 12 string. Cannot remember the model, maybe 712? Anyway, I remember it never sounded right unless I used Guild strings. Nothing else sounded correct. It was a real challenge to keep them on hand as I was young, and didn't have much money, and they were not available everywhere. I was always on the lookout for vendors.
I believe the choice of string makes a huge difference in tone. Maybe it's just me, but I tend to be very anal in string choice. My favorite brand for the last several years has been DR. They are made in New Jersey. I was actually not aware of the fact that Alfred Dronge's son Mark owns the company. Kind of a odd coincidence!
Does anyone else use DR?

To be honest they to me they stink no matter what the verity.
Sometimes one needs to give enough time to another type of string to truly here it .

Not that it matters but for all my years of playing at this point I’m relying on Elixir nobowebs , and Martin Monals .

Each picked for a certain guitar but not all .
Just depends :)

geoguy

Reaction score
I use D'Addario phosphor bronze strings on several acoustic guitars.

Light or medium gauge, depending upon the instrument. Usually the EXP "coated" variety, because they sound consistently good (to my ears) for a long time.

The Elixirs that I've tried seemed "hard" under my fingertips (they were probably both medium gauge, but felt stiffer than the medium D'Addarios that are more familiar to me).

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow!! Alot of D'Addai users. Interesting.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Though I did not mention it in past posts one can see I use D’Addario but at the moment I use the others .
On thing I’ll never argue is the D’s are the most consistent string out there and I’llnevrt stopuding them.
I’m always experimenting and we all should as our our ears change through age and through that experience hone us in one what we like and yes subject to change .

But I’d like to say that if you can record decently and or want to start recording your choices will very well change as to your strings as well as your guitar it’s all a process.🙂

Grassdog

Reaction score
My go to choices are D'addario EJ-16's or John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Lights (600L's) for all my acoustics and they do just fine. I tried the DR Sunbeams once on my Southern Jumbo (heard rave reviews about those strings) and they were okay but nothing spectacular.

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
My D-55 sounds great with Martin Lifespan treated strings.
If I go with non coated/treated strings, D'Addario EJ17's. PB Medium

My Martin D-35 likes Martin Retro Monel strings.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've been playing Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Lights for a while. Love 'em!

walrus

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I'm of the opinion that this is one of those cases where the product is the world's best selling brand because it really is that good, not just another Big Mac.
I'm a D'A uncoated pb guy too, but I have to be honest, been considering to going to silk'n'steels on the F65ce to try to tone down some of the maple jangle I hear in recording, even if not while I'm playing.

F312

Reaction score
The strings that are on my guitar I'm playing at the time. I think all the different brands and types have something to offer.

Ralph

tommym

Reaction score
I currently use Elixir Nanoweb PB Lights on my Guild NH F30R Standard. Not the best sounding strings by far, but the easiest on my finger tips and much quieter (string squeak) when siding up and down the strings.

Tommy

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
D'Addario Phosphor Bronze Bluegrass, EJ-19's. basically a set of their mediums with lighter gauge top 2 strings. Makes it just a bit easier to play those leads and breaks.

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you for your responses. I will try the D'Addarios next. I have used them several times in the past and did not dislike them.
I also like Elixir for finger fatigue. I used them extensively when I was in a band because they lasted a while. Good strings.
I just put the DR hex core nickels on my S275. They sound pretty nice. I also purchased some DR for my D15. They are coated...

justforfun

Reaction score
John Pearse phosphor/bronze and DR Rares. I like the bluegrass gaged sets. The Rares seem to last a long time and I thought provided great note seperation.separation. I have a set of Sunbeams I haven't tried yet.