Your favorite guitar and why ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
K so there’s a lot to the time whole acoustic guitar thing .
I can only speak for myself . I love the orchestra models because they to me they give clarity, definition and a even midrange that defines the intricate tone and reflections of my style being what is lol ,

But now I have a new admiration for the big girls and Tx seems to have understood this for X long before I showed up lol

Now though I have to admit , I am now in love with this F55E . They say it’s a strummer first and foremost and I can’t deny that but when it comes to finger picking it’s not so much the choice .

Yet I find it quite the opposite! . I find more it more a choice of a particular tonal demand .

I’m flexible and first and foremost I want the right tone for my newest piece .

Though I played a bunch of orchestra models let alone the ones I own this big girl is .... well swaying me I guess ,I can’ say it just hits the nitch !

So now when I see Txs collection I truly understand , so really good Orchestra models or jumbos might be my main stay lol time will tell !

So what is your go to and what is you want to find tonely ? Have you found it ? Or are you still in search ?

cupric

Reaction score
Guild Total
Love a good Jumbo! Especially with 12 strings.

Br1ck

Reaction score
I was in the mid range camp for a long time. My M 36 being the biggest guitar I thought I'd ever want. Then I got my Guild D 35 all fixed up and playable. Oohh, a dread that is balanced. Tasty.

Then I picked up a beat up old Gibson one day in a shop and near died and went to heaven. Turned out to be a '39 J 35. Looked at the price. Ouch. Started playing every Gibson I could get my hands on that I could afford ($4000). The only thing that came close was a J 45 vintage. Then one day I found my '65 Epiphone Texan. Loud, dry, and direct. The perfect songwriter's companion.The perfect mojo machine.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I generally have favorite guitar of the week :biggrin-new:

But for the last two weeks or so, this well-worn '68 Hobo D35 has been
knocking my socks off and I can't put her down for long.
May be the lightest Guild dread I've ever owned, 4.3 lbs of sunburst sweetness...

iKnEcSz.jpg

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I generally have favorite guitar of the week :biggrin-new:

But for the last two weeks or so, this '68 Hobo D35 has been
knocking my socks off and I can't put her down for long.
May be the lightest Guild dread I've ever owned, 4.3 lbs of sunburst sweetness...

iKnEcSz.jpg

Wow that does look good ! One day I’d like to get an oldie ;)

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I was in the mid range camp for a long time. My M 36 being the biggest guitar I thought I'd ever want. Then I got my Guild D 35 all fixed up and playable. Oohh, a dread that is balanced. Tasty.

Then I picked up a beat up old Gibson one day in a shop and near died and went to heaven. Turned out to be a '39 J 35. Looked at the price. Ouch. Started playing every Gibson I could get my hands on that I could afford ($4000). The only thing that came close was a J 45 vintage. Then one day I found my '65 Epiphone Texan. Loud, dry, and direct. The perfect songwriter's companion.The perfect mojo machine.

Wow ! And interesting an old EPI never had the pleasure, audio would be appreciated 😁

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
I'm a Dred guy all the way. Tried a few Guild Jumbos but never bonded with the tone or feel.
I did buy an Grand Auditorium size Washburn a few months ago because it totally caught me off guard.
The size is almost as big as a Dred but different shape.
Loud and very balanced.

This guitar gets a lot of playing time now but my favorite all around guitar goes back and forth between my Guild D-55 and my Martin D-35.
Depending on my mood and the songs that I'm playing.
Love the looks of the D-55. Beauty and Brains.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
All my acoustics. I rotate guitars each day. Today was DV52-tomorrow will be JF65, and Tuesday will be the D46. Then the rotation starts over. My favorite depends on which day it is.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To me it really depends on what I am playing as well. I gravitate towards the Jumbo bodied Guilds and Guild based designs because I love the range they have and there is no match for the balance of Rich lows through sparkling highs that I find most of them to have. I love my Rosewood Jumbos but I hold my Maple Jumbos and my Hog Jumbo in the same regards. It really depends on what mood I am in. I also find the Guild Jumbo to be one of the best if not best sounding 12 string platforms ever created. I am partial to a few Dreads that I have and I have a few Orchestra bodied guitars that fit the bill when the time is right.

Lately I have been spending a lot of time with a recent acquisition that I got as partial trade for one of my other Guilds from a member here. It is a Maple Jumbo Guild Nashville Custom Shop JF65CE cutaway model that is just a wonderful instrument. In a lot of ways the tone is on par with my New Hartford F50 Maple but at the same time it has it's own voice that I am really digging. I guess I need to post a NGD for it when I get some time but for now I am just enjoying playing it whenever I get a chance to.

I don't see any of my Jumbos as better or worse than my others. To me they are all a Standard Platform of Excellence in tone and playability. The different tonewoods and places of Manufacturer just give me a bit of variety on top of the Gold Standard so to speak. Really glad you are enjoying your new Jumbo Guild Ray! All that is left now is for you to get curious about an arched backed Maple version, LOL. Have a good one!

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It really depends on what I'm playing.
That's really the thing. I won't play the "good, better, best" game because if there was a "best" that was consistent, you would only need one guitar, right? Depends on the mood, depends on the style, depends on the tuning and it just all DEPENDS and my mood and tastes change over time and sometimes they come full circle. So this is a pointless conversation. I own six guitars. I love them all for different reasons. That's like asking which child is your best one. How do you answer a question like that? So Ray, I say it's a silly question. I know you really love your new guitar. I'm sure I'd love it too. But I have my own new guitar. And they're very different. Let me rephrase..... it's not a silly question, it's a pointless question. Fair enough?? :encouragement:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah the what fits the mood thing makes sense . I’m not saying there’s one guitar that beats them all either but I do have one guitar that’s always there to grab which is my CV-1 but she might get replaced by the big girl , thing is I’m stil in over protective mode lol

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's really pointless at least for me. It really caused me to sit back and think things through a bit. I have a number of really excellent, higher end guitars. But, when I really think about it, if I had to choose one, it would be my old 1972 Guild D 40. It won't win any beauty contests. I had the top refinished and re-sprayed, it was re-fretted and the neck was reset. I also added a DTAR pickup system. In short, I have way more into it than I could ever get out and that's o.k. Because, at the end of the day, it's one I'll be taking to the grave with me anyway. It may well be the most balanced guitar I've ever owned. It's not too dark, muddy or booming, it's not too crisp and bright and it has more volume than I ever need unplugged.

It fits me well and is just like a pair of old shoes. It's comfortable and just feels right. Plus, if I do happen to slop some Jack and Coke on it at times I don't get overly concerned.

beecee

Reaction score
My D-40. Plain Jane in looks but the sound is all around "it" for me. Strumming or fingerpicking.

Unless I need a 12 string jolt. Then the F-512 seems to be "it" for me lately. Unless I need me a maple fix.

But then to be fair that flat back D-25 is catching some air time as well. What a great guitar, I can see why Westerly loves his.

The D-70 is starting to get use to it's new home, I really like the neck profile on that puppy. Funny, I almost feel like it is telling ME what to do. We have an odd relationship so far.

But to be fair, when I saw this thread title I immediately thought D-40.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's really pointless at least for me. It really caused me to sit back and think things through a bit. I have a number of really excellent, higher end guitars. But, when I really think about it, if I had to choose one, it would be my old 1972 Guild D 40. It won't win any beauty contests. I had the top refinished and re-sprayed, it was re-fretted and the neck was reset. I also added a DTAR pickup system. In short, I have way more into it than I could ever get out and that's o.k. Because, at the end of the day, it's one I'll be taking to the grave with me anyway. It may well be the most balanced guitar I've ever owned. It's not too dark, muddy or booming, it's not too crisp and bright and it has more volume than I ever need unplugged.

It fits me well and is just like a pair of old shoes. It's comfortable and just feels right. Plus, if I do happen to slop some Jack and Coke on it at times I don't get overly concerned.

There ya go best answer so far and a great way to describe it .:)

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
There are several players whose "favorite" instrument is now selected from the collection of instruments that they can play without pain. Between injuries and age related degeneration there are people who report that they cannot play a jumbo or a dread anymore.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I usually pick up the JF30-12 first, then the F50R.

Why? Because!

jib793.jpg

f50r559.jpg

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Overall, I'd have to say my F-50, even though I don't play it as much as I used to. My 12 strings would be close behind, the F-212 because I've had it for over 50 years and can't imagine life without it, and the 512 because it just sounds so great.
Brad

Big-Al

Reaction score
I love my D-125. No showy ornamentation. No pretense. Good tone. No wonky sounding notes anywhere on the fretboard. The mahogany top compensates for my sometimes heavy right hand. It records well. It amplifies well. I got it new for 350 clams so no stress about damaging it. It's made to be played. I'm not a complicated guy. My needs are simple. The D-125 checks all the boxes for me.

Last edited: