One Guild Went Away. Another Will Take It's Place

Big-Al

Reaction score
As I've written about here, three years ago my friend and I swapped guitars. He got my Larrivee and I got his GAD50. A month ago he called me and long story short, we swapped back. The Larrivee is a fine guitar, but I liked the Guild dread better . . . so I put the Larrivee up on Craigslist. It should be sold on Wednesday. The potential buyer and I have been communicating a lot and he's driving two hours to see it on Wed. I'm pretty sure it will sell.

Soooo . . . that leaves a vacancy for a replacement Guild. I've never ordered a guitar from Amazon, but I've been looking one on their site lately. They do seem to track views, especially by prime members, and adjust prices over time. It's been in my virtual shopping cart and back out again. This morning I looked at it again . . . and the price had dropped . . . a lot. I called for an additional discount code and got another 10% off. My guitar should arrive Wednesday with free second day air shipping.

Here's a photo.

51aBQb9Ny-L._SCLZZZZZZZ__SY500_SX500_.jpg

Can anybody say BOOM Chuck a Chuck a?

Last edited:

Big-Al

Reaction score
It's a D-140 sunburst. The GAD-50 sounded like a pretty typical rosewood dread . . . with a bit of extra boom, growl and top-end zing, not that that's a bad thing. I'm hoping that the mahogany on this one will give it a little more midrange clarity for recording. I played one at a shop a while back and that seemed to be the case. The one I played seemed like remarkably good guitar.

MAP on these seems to be just under $800. Amazon had the D-140 listed at $775 until yesterday, when it mysteriously dropped to $575 . . . and then I used their online link to "Amazon Harmony" to talk with a rep who sent me a discount code to get the price down another 10% to $518, which seems like a great price. . . . and as a Prime member I get free two-day shipping. Their price is back up to $775 today with no link to ask for a discount. I think I scored a pretty good deal.

Of course, buying it from Amazon, I'll probably be the first person to look at the guitar since it left the factory so I expect it will need a bit of setup work. I have my fret rocker, Allen wrench, various nut and fret files, machinist's caliper, and saddle shaping tools at the ready.

I'll report back on this one after I get it. If it's a dog, at least Amazon has a good return policy.

Last edited:

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....Amazon had the D-140 listed at $775 until yesterday, when it mysteriously dropped to $575 . . . and then I used their online link to "Amazon Harmony" to talk with a rep who sent me a discount code to get the price down another 10% to $518, which seems like a great price. . . . and as a Prime member I get free two-day shipping. Their price is back up to $775 today with no link to ask for a discount. I think I scored a pretty good deal.....

Man, you killed 'em! Is this out of the Grand Reward factory? They certainly do good stuff. Are all Guilds out of there, or are they parceling them out nowadays?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice Grab Big-Al, Looking forward to you review and impressions of it when it arrives. That is a Beautiful Burst finish and it sounds like you got a Killer price on it as well. I mean what you paid for it is what the Arcos models were selling for so that is a Steal for sure. Plus like you mentioned you really can't go wrong with Amazon's shipping and return policies. Congrats!

TX