John Hurt's Guild

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
This may have been posted...no time to search...the Jan issue of American Songwriter has an article on John Oates where he is pictured and explains how he acquired John Hurt's Guild...and had previously used it to record his first two albums when his guitar teacher who owned it loaned it to him...it can only be accessed online with a subscription...someone who does may be able to copy/paste the article here...I don't have it but saw the print addition......meanwhile, here's a link to a picture of his recent album cover where he played the guitar after acquiring it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjDgsYBn1jV/

Enjoy!

Nice to know where it ended up.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is one Guild with a great stories in its travels. Bet it is full of "feelings."

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The current issue of Acoustic Guitar magazine (July 2018) has a cover story about Mississippi John Hurt. The article is about his career and his music. A side-bar article details the history of his Guild F-30 SB and how it ended up with John Oates. There is also a nice color photo of the guitar with a good shot of the label.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I have a CD of the Columbia/Legacy "Blues & Roots" series (1996) of the remastered 1928 recordings for OKeh Records. MJH is one of my favorite players of the 20's and 30's country blues and delta blues artists. His style of playing is melodic with a light touch, mostly out of the first position chords. But there is a subtle syncopation to his alternating base with intricate, melody figures on the treble strings.

The story of how he was rediscovered in 1963 is a good one. Using two lines from his 1928 recording "Avalon Blues" (Avalon's my hometown, always on my mind), folk music enthusiast Tom Hoskins tracked him down in northeast Mississippi, where he was working cattle on a farm. Tom Hoskins brought him back to Wash. DC, where he began to play coffee houses, college campuses and folk festivals. And, eventually, to record for The Library of Congress and Vanguard Records. The music of Mississippi John Hurt is a national treasure!

Thanks for the link to Pristine Classical. The concept of pitch correction for a faulty motor drive on the cutting lathe is very interesting. I like the phrase "Recording companies had portable recording outfits that toured the "Territories", and cities like Atlanta and New Orleans...". Most of the recordings we have today of the country blues and delta blues artists of the 1920's and 1930's are made from the old shellac 78's that still survive in collections.

Last edited: