1977 F-50R Questions

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Hello, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 Guild F50R for $1950, which includes a TKL case and K&K pickup installed. It's a beautiful guitar that has been well taken care of. It's completely setup and needs no work. The saddle height is low and near the end, but I've read these are built like tanks and will withstand anything on the road.

My question: Is this a smart purchase at this price, when I could be buying into Martin or Gibson acoustics? I have a Starfire IV from 1965, that is my favorite electric and that's why I've hunted this F50R down. I love 000 size acoustics for writing (Martin 00018, LG1, etc.), but the idea of the jumbo for performing makes sense to me. I've been shopping around for the best bang for your buck acoustic and this one seems cool.

Do you recommend a different model/company or should I just buy this 1977 F50R and be done?
Action and saddle hight: https://imgur.com/a/HUa6mr8

KihlFKH.jpg

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
It is a great guitar at a very reasonable price, even if it eventually needs a neck reset. My 1974 F50R is one of my favorites.

You will not regret this purchase. Go for it!

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Mine is a newer Tacoma built model (2009) but I will say it is one of my most favorite Guild acoustics and will likely be one of the last ones I let go when the time comes.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Haha. I assumed it would be completely biased, but always good to get some perspective. :)

I'd see if I could get that Champ with it as a package deal.
I gave mine to a buddy for helping me move 18 years ago and the dumb you-know-what sold it....
So I guess that tells you what I think about the guitar.......
And if you really want to know if the neck's near the nd, check this link:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html
:friendly_wink:

iamarobotman

Reaction score
I'd see if I could get that Champ with it as a package deal.
I gave mine to a buddy for helping me move 18 years ago and the dumb you-know-what sold it....
So I guess that tells you what I think about the guitar.......
And if you really want to know if the neck's near the nd, check this link:
http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/NeckAngle/neckangle.html

That Princeton Reverb is mine actually and this Guild sounds amazing through it. It's honestly what's selling me on it! I'm just trying to justify spending $2k right now. I've always been attracted to Martin acoustics, but I used to think the same about 335's until I picked up my 1965 Starfire.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That Princeton Reverb is mine actually and this Guild sounds amazing through it.
It looked a little small for a Princeton Reverb....guess my memory of how big the Champ was is outta whack....and I was thinkin' Princetons were same size as Twin Reverbs...

It's honestly what's selling me on it! I'm just trying to justify spending $2k right now.
Ahhhh....honestly think that's a bit high for a '77 F50 but I might be a little out of touch.
I'm thinking it would need to be immaculate for that kind of money, and I'm not factoring in the K&K.
On the other hand I see Awagner's price advice and would defer to his opinion on it.
Good luck!

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not a jumbo guy, so have no experience with an F-50R and I can't comment on pricing.

OTOH, that saddle does not look exceptionally low for a guitar of that age (but it's not the best view). You mention that it is well setup, and needs no work. Nevertheless, I would check the neck relief and action... if they are good, and there is decent break angle over the saddle (particularly for the high e), it may be a long time before any neck work is needed.

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Not a jumbo guy, so have no experience with an F-50R and I can't comment on pricing.

OTOH, that saddle does not look exceptionally low for a guitar of that age (but it's not the best view). You mention that it is well setup, and needs no work. Nevertheless, I would check the neck relief and action... if they are good, and there is decent break angle over the saddle (particularly for the high e), it may be a long time before any neck work is needed.

Here are some "action" shots: https://imgur.com/a/HUa6mr8

Last edited:

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think a near-mint early 70s F50R should fetch $2,800. I don’t know, but I can’t imagine that a 1977 F50R is very different in quality or construction. But even if it is worth less, $1,950 is a very reasonable price, in my view, especially since it has a quality pickup in it.

I understand it is a lot of money, but if you can swing it, I think you will be happy with this purchase.

A lot of us think Guilds are undervalued, and that for the same money you won’t get a better Gibson or Martin.

Good luck!

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Years ago, I wanted some money to buy some ham radio equipment and had to choose between selling my F-50 (maple, though, not RW) and a Brazilian RW D-28. After spending a couple days comparing them seriously, sold the Martin. The F-50 just sounded and played better for me, plus I knew the Martin would sell almost immediately after I placed it in a local dealer's shop. It did. I second the opinion that $1950 with a good pickup is nice price, I'd go for it.
Brad

Last edited:

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Years ago, I wanted some money to buy some ham radio equipment and had to choose between selling my F-50 (maple, though, not RW) and a Brazilian RW D-28. After spending a couple days comparing them seriously, sold the Martin. The F-50 just sounded and played better for me, plus I knew the Martin would sell almost immediately after I placed it in a local dealer's shop. It did. I second the opinion that $1950 with a good pickup is nice price, I'd go for it.
Brad

Cool story! Yeah, the pickup in this one is perfect. Almost no feedback and it's so balanced from bass to treble. It also barely picks up any movement noise from the wood, which is interesting.

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bet it would take less effort to sell the F50R and get your money back than the Martin or Gibson and if you but it--bet you sell something else first.

iamarobotman

Reaction score
Bet it would take less effort to sell the F50R and get your money back than the Martin or Gibson and if you but it--bet you sell something else first.

That was my next question. The re-sale is good on these? I hardly ever see them, which is cool for touring.

Action and saddle height pictures: https://imgur.com/a/HUa6mr8

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That saddle is pretty low. And it looks like the bridge might have been shaved or sanded down as well. Neck resets on Guilds are notoriously tricky. I'm not familiar enough with prices on this model to comment one way or the other. If that neck moves even just a little you're gonna have to do some serious work on the guitar. Just one opinion. Not sure why if this one doesn't work out for you that you'd jump to a different brand. Guild in Oxnard, CA is making new ones of these now. Although they call them F55 I think.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just some info from the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars for you. In mint Excellent shape a 1975-1979 Guild F50R is listed at $2100-$2500 and in Average condition they are listed at $1250-$1500. You figure another $100 give or take for the K&K pickup. That being said I have seen several in Excellent condition late 70's F50R's selling for closer to $1500-$1700 over the last year.

Looking at your "Action" and "Saddle Height" photos I see there is a decent break angle on the strings and the action looks good but like you mentioned the saddle is kind low so there really isn't much room for further adjustment. That being said there is a good chance that the guitar in question won't need any work for years to come. Neck resets normally run between $400-$800 by the time all the work that is needed is done so that is something to think about. If the neck geometry does change in a few years there appears to be plenty of bridge height if you wanted to cheat it a bit and shave some height off of the bridge to stave off a neck reset for a while longer.

Bottom line is a Guild F50R from any era is in my opinion the Best Jumbo Rosewood guitar ever made. I have 2 later model F50R's and they are some of my favorite guitars of all time. If you dig it and it sounds and plays the way you want it to I would go for it. You might even be able to get them to knock a little off of the price for the low saddle, Couldn't hurt to ask right?

I hope this info helps you out and best of luck with your decision whatever it may be!

TX

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello, I have the opportunity to purchase a 1977 Guild F50R for $1950, which includes a TKL case and K&K pickup installed.

That might be a bit high, although I don't see anything better out there at the moment. I got my 2011 with dual source for less than that, but that was a darn good deal, too.

It's completely setup and needs no work. The saddle height is low and near the end...

...that saddle does not look exceptionally low...

Right - you don't want it low. With those new shots, it doesn't look so bad, as GardMan mentions. The break angle looks reasonable. The bridge doesn't look shaved....

My question: Is this a smart purchase at this price, when I could be buying into Martin or Gibson acoustics? ....

My 1974 F50R is one of my favorites.
...it is one of my most favorite Guild acoustics...

It's definitely my favorite and the best 6-string I've ever played. It's in the ballpark of Gibson's SJ-200 (which probably costs a couple grand more).

Keep us posted!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
For what it’s worth, the Vintage Guitar Price Guide range for a 1976-79 F50R is $1,900 - $2,500.