Internet Music Sharing

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Recent involvement in the thread "The Song Title Game" has set me to thinking. Always dangerous !

I am wondering if it is possible to share musical libraries with selected others. I've Googled the topic and I'm not quite clear on it.

So, I have an extensive personal library on my Mac. I'm assuming, from what I've read, that I can share with other, selected, Mac users. Can I share with another, non-Mac user ? Would that other user have to acquire some particular app. to do that ?

I'm not widely literate on computer and would welcome any information that a hip user could offer please.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Coastie I'm pretty sure that a user of a different platform might need to use an app to convert Mac type files to other file formats compatible with their Operating System.
Example if the files are MP3 files, they're "universal", but Mac and PC each need an MP3 player app that's compatible with their operating system.
If we're talking stuff created with music editing software, that software itself normally allows at least a few choices of format for storage, so back to the issue of finding a player for the other user that's compatible with their computer.
Example, if you created MP3 files all they should need is an MP3 player.
And while I'm thinking this out all of a sudden I'm realizing one of the reasons MP3 has become so popular:
You can get a player for just about anything.
But I'll stop here and let more savvy guys correct or expand, since I haven't sold a computer since 1990.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
PS: Here's something that might help you wrap your head around the underlying principles:
http://osxdaily.com/2012/04/22/format-drive-mac-pc-compatible/
It's short, and you don't really need to understand some of the technical jargon to put 2+2 together about the concept that the Mac and the PC read files differently, but there ARE apps that will "translate" for 'em.
In fact it's a primer on how to format a USB flash drive on a Mac so it can be read by either type of operating sytem.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I suspect that if you are talking about sharing PURCHASED music that you have in iTunes or a Windows media folder, the license granted you does not allow you to make it available to others on the web. If you are talking personally created music, then places like SongRamp and other types of those sites allow you to do it. Most require that it is ORIGINAL content, so they don't get a nasty-gram from the publishers.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I suspect that if you are talking about sharing PURCHASED music that you have in iTunes or a Windows media folder, the license granted you does not allow you to make it available to others on the web. If you are talking personally created music, then places like SongRamp and other types of those sites allow you to do it. Most require that it is ORIGINAL content, so they don't get a nasty-gram from the publishers.

Bear in mind Coastie's in NZ where the copyright laws may be different, so I skipped opening that "can of worms".
Although I'd kind of be surprised if similar restrictions on original buyer's dissemination of material weren't in place.
Also suspect he's just as sympathetic to the issue of an artist getting whatever share of their royalties they can get, as any of us here.
I also make exception for out-of-print material for friends:
If they can't buy it anyway I'm not taking any bread off anybody's table.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry Coastie; you lost me when you said the "M" word. I'm a "Windows" kinda guy.

It would probably be easier to ship you my IPOD, and you ship it back to me when you're done, LOL.

Currently trying to figure out how to share my Pandora stations with others...

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I use mac & Windows ( even WIN XP on one workmachine )

Mac as default uses FLAC - but with couple clicks lets user choose the audio format - so I use 44,1kHz WAV - and WAV is default Windows audio format and same as in CD:s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/44,100_Hz