Austin City Limits Concerts

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I was scrolling thru the tv listings last night to see what was on. I came across several replayed concerts and really enjoyed them. They were:

-Don Henley with a whole bunch of guests and he was great.

-James Taylor, always one of my personal faves and he had some really good gusts as well. Man, that dude can play now. Just exceptional.

-Steve Miller. We used to see him often in Madison when I was going to school in Wisconsin. He hasn't lost a bit either in his voice or his playing. Love that guy and his tunes.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV so this was a bit rare for me. I think I'll keep checking back to see who else they get. I'd love to go to that Austin concert setting at some point in my life.

Grassdog

Reaction score
That's certainly an iconic stage backdrop they use (City of Austin at night). Loved the Ray Davies show a few years back. I seem to recall reading an article about ACL that said all those tickets are free - first come first serve when dates are announced. Maybe my memory's playing tricks with me.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I'm a fan of ACL! I think that the producers do a good job of selecting quality bands and singer/songwriters. The episodes air locally on Fridays at midnight. I usually check the listing to see who's on the bill. I don't always recognize the artists like I use to... but that's OK. It's good for the next generation of up and coming musicians to get some exposure.

I appreciate the camera work. They stay focused on the singer or instrumentalist and don't move around all over place, zooming in and out. They do a good job of showing the guitar player's hands. I've cribbed a few licks over the years by recording the show and then using slow-mo.

Last weekend, I watched a rerun of Nora Jones that was recorded last year. I enjoyed it! She played some of her new material and a couple older songs. Her bass player, Josh Lattanzi, was alternating between an acoustic, stand-up bass and a Guild M-85. They closed the show with an acoustic version of the Grateful Dead's song "Ripple" from the American Beauty album.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Austin City Limits is great. I've fantasized about flying down to Austin just to see some of these shows over the years. I recall looking into it. Yes...the tickets are indeed free. The concerts take place on the campus at the University....they surpise announce the show/artist....and tickets must be picked up in person...limit 2 each....on campus. If I recall correctly...announcements are commonly heard on the local NPR which might broadcast from campus location? Even some old friends that I spoke to who live in Austin say it is difficult at best to obtain tickets....but impossible for out-of-towners. Go back through youtube and pick and artist followed by "austin city limits" in your search. Man...some of the old stuff....Stevie Ray Vaughn for example....just incredible. There are too many stellar ACL performances to even narrow them down.

Last edited:

Alan_M

Reaction score
I love ACL! Agreed that Steve Miller was awesome. Such a feel good show, that one. Also loved Vintage Trouble, Beck, Queens of the Stone Age, Radiohead, Black Keys, Sturgill Simpson... heck I love almost all of them! I'm just bummed I didn't learn of the series earlier, 'cause I missed a bunch of great ones. "Live From The Artists Den" is another good one, as is "Later... with Jools Holland". The latter being my favorite of the three because there is just so many new artists that get a spotlight that otherwise may not have. Learned about a great many artists that I became fan of after seeing them on the show.

Last edited: