Would like some G37 info

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey guys, I am at the Kaufman Acoustic Kamp in Maryville, TN and somewhat limited on what I can search with my phone. Young man (high school) has an arched maple-backed G37 in class with me. Serial number is 100691. He doesn't know much about it, can anyone look up the serial and give me an approximate date for it? Once I saw it was a G37, I was surprised with the arched back.

Also bumped into another "kamper" with a Guild hard gig bag so had to stop him and ask. Nice English kid, had a single cut mahogany-topped dread, Asian of course. He bought it new, had never seen a modern American made Guild in England. The way he tells it, it's the land of Yamaha guitars...

Any info you can pass along regards the G37 would be appreciated. That range is kind of out of my knowledge base and my "bible" is 900 miles away.

PTC Bernie

Reaction score
The G37 is the precursor of the D30. Ill look the SN and get back to you.

Looks like it was built in 1974.

I would love a D30 or G37 but can't find one with wider nut width. Great guitars.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey Bill: With no alpha prefix, the Guild charts put it in '74, which I think is first year? (My bible's not here either)
http://guildguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/history_of_your_guild.pdf

In any case, my buddy's '74 is still the single best-sounding acoustic I've ever heard in person; sustain for days; and yes, arched maple back was the build formula.
It eventually got renamed into the D30 with some slight build mods along the way.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Those arched back maples from almost any year are amazing. But right now they're hauling my old a/c unit off my roof and it's a million degrees in here. I keep taking cold showers..... for ALL the wrong reasons!!! Jeeze!!!

crank

Reaction score
I think you saw and heard mine at LMG 1 hotel.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, supposed to be a joke, now looking doesn't appear that way...sorry man, hope that gets fixed for you soon.
No Bill.... it was a joke and a GOOD one..... only NOW (at 77 degrees) I'm starting to get my sense of humor back, my friend!! It's not any better than it was before..... but it's back!!! I'm a happy guy right now.

Hotels are nice enough but I wanna sleep in my own bed with all my stuff (and guitars are stuff) around me, you know?

Still, those older maple arched back dreads..... are amazing!! Thanks for chiming in...... at 77 degrees I start appreciating humor again!! LMAO!!!

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Izzy Stradlin from the original Guns n Roses played a D-30 (same guitar as G-37), and a GF-30 as well. cuts thru a mix for sure. it appears he played the GF-30 when the rest of the band was acoustic, and the D-30 when the rest of the band was electric. an arched back maple full size Guild dread has to be among the loudest acoustic guitars available. maybe thats why it worked so well for Guns' electric songs.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks gentlemen, cannot really comment accurately on this particular guitar's tone as we are in a learning and classroom setting. I think he is playing an open mic tonight (unless I missed him last night)...will pass on all your info

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
not their best gig but still looks like fun. the D-30 in all it's glory!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bill:
Is this Acoustic Camp for experienced players or all levels including beginners?
Always thought camps for 5 straight days were better for getting across fundamentals than one lesson per week for five weeks. IMO Of course, if one does not practice (correctly) what one has just learned - one could be a worse player since "practice makes permanent not perfect."

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi, sorry for the delay in writing back.

Don't want to sound like an advertisement...this "kamp" is for all levels from never having held an instrument to advanced players. Two weeks, either Old Time or Bluegrass. Guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, dulcimer and voice. This week guitar choices were flatpicking, fingerstyle or Old Time rhythm. Except for new beginners to an instrument, you rotate thru three or more instructors, at least two two-hour classes each throughout the week. College dorm living and food at a pretty pricey private college. PM me if you would like more particulars...this is my 5th year (seventh week) here.

As to the G37, thanks for the video...I wonder though, with that backline, what was the point of an acoustic guitar? As to the young man's here, it is loud and proud and just sounds good! Better than some of the ubiquitous Martin's around. Sadly, I think the poor girl has a neck set in her future...plays very well with no issues now, but bridge saddle is awful thin. Jackson was very happy to learn his baby is a '74 (he was born in 2001!), and proud that it's a "first year" for the model .

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
proud that it's a "first year" for the model .
Don't burst his bubble, but according to Hans, the G-37 was "mentioned in the '73 price list, but some '72 models are known to exist." I have seen a couple early ones on eBay over the years...IIRC, real early ones had open back tuners. I had a '74 G-37 (SN 101XXX)... it was a great guitar!

bobouz

Reaction score
My G-37 was made in '76 with a one-piece mahogany neck, right before the switch to a three-piece maple neck.

Heavy as heck, but with a lush grand-piano-ish sort of tone.

Great guitars!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Bill:
Time for your final exam which is a written report of your 2018 summer camp experience. Please include
1. Type music YOU played, mostly?
2. Any outstanding young players?
3. Different guitars you played, if any, and did you like them?
4. Did you spend anytime with intruments other than guitar?
5. Other information you think pertinent?
From what I have read, sounded like a great camp.

westerlyborn

Reaction score
I have a G-37. It's also is an arched back. The first thing I noticed was the heft- must weigh 10 pounds. Looks and sounds good- speaks when spoken to.