School Me on the F47...

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Found a KILLER deal on an early 70's F47 Bluegrass that I snatched it up long distance.

Is this basically an F40 model variant?

All info is appreciated.

Jeff

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congratulations on a highly respected Guild Acoustic. You will find some interesing reads in the "Guild Acoustic Reviews" section of the forum.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Is this basically an F40 model variant?
pretty much - a deeper bodied F40 that looks a little fancier. I've kind of given up on the idea, but I'd LOVE to have a Hoboken made F-47, an early one with the open-book headstock and pearloid Kolb tuners.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Sweet. $500 seems a good investment. I bought it based on pictures, from across the country. If it's a dud, I'll unload it.

Last edited:

guitarjesus

Reaction score
pretty much - a deeper bodied F40 that looks a little fancier. I've kind of given up on the idea, but I'd LOVE to have a Hoboken made F-47, an early one with the open-book headstock and pearloid Kolb tuners.

Whats years were the headstock type and tuners you're talking about?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yup, you're right. Sorry for the confusion. I guess the only incarnation of the F-40 with mahogany back and sides was the FMIC New Hartford made one - but I might be wrong about that too - maybe there was an earlier version with it too, I get confused with all the different specs over the years.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yup, you're right. Sorry for the confusion. I guess the only incarnation of the F-40 with mahogany back and sides was the FMIC New Hartford made one - but I might be wrong about that too - maybe there was an earlier version with it too, I get confused with all the different specs over the years.
Ain't it the truth.
I don't remember how New Hartford made 'em either. I'd have to look it up, although I do know they made F47's there.
Ah, in fact we both posted in this thread 4 years ago:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?183678-New-Hartford-F-47-vs-F-40
And in fact, here we go, an example of New Hartford calling an F47 an F40...had I realized it then, before I had my F40 epiphany, I probably would have griped about it:
https://cartervintage.com/products/guild-f-40-2009
So you were originally correct when it came to what New Hartford called 'em!
Whats years were the headstock type and tuners you're talking about?
Missed this yesterday but they're on that one that FNG linked to in post #6, if you missed it.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The guitar in that Carter link is in fact a new hartford F-40 - though wood/spec-wise (not ornamentation) it is indeed more like an F-47.

I actually ended up getting a NH F-47, a rosewood one. Seriously nice guitar, and everyone who plays it immediately remarks how loud it is.

Wouldn't it be nice if Guild, like other older, "iconic" US guitar companies started doing actual reissues? As in "1963 F-47" - with all the trimmings, open-book headstock, Kolb repro tuners, horsey pickguard, exact same dimensions, etc..

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The guitar in that Carter link is in fact a new hartford F-40 - though wood/spec-wise (not ornamentation) it is indeed more like an F-47.
Right, I was being a little sarcastic in my comment about calling an F47 an F40 but trying to acknowledge the accuracy of your original comment, if you based it on that version of it.
I'd forgotten about it.
And NH did follow the tradition of F47's role as the user of different body woods than the F40.
I actually ended up getting a NH F-47, a rosewood one. Seriously nice guitar, and everyone who plays it immediately remarks how loud it is.
Wouldn't it be nice if Guild, like other older, "iconic" US guitar companies started doing actual reissues? As in "1963 F-47" - with all the trimmings, open-book headstock, Kolb repro tuners, horsey pickguard, exact same dimensions, etc..

Oh I'm right there with you, but as I've mentioned in other threads, there doesn't seem to be a "slot" in their current model numbering system for a 16" jumbo.
Their new F40 is actually a 17" lower bout jumbo that was called the F48 when it was originally produced, (they even acknowledge that in their product description) like a 'hog version of an F50...and I've been crying "sacrilege" ever since.
But at least now I know why they associate a 'hog body with the F40.
My real fear is that they've lost the ability to make a 16" jumbo arched back of any type, like lost the dies for the steam press..

Last edited:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

I was in Nashville the weekend of June 9th, and I played an F-40 in their store, so I'll assume it was that one. Did not excite me at all - sounded thin.

The only other Guild on the floor was a JF65-12 that needed a LOT of work. Took it to their shop in the back to borrow a straightedge to do the neck angle check, and determined that it not only needed a neck reset, but the bridge was lifted about halfway off, and it didn't look like it was going to take much to complete the job.

The guys in the shop pulled it from the floor once the figured out it was theirs, and not a consignment.