New Starfire XII

Zelja

Reaction score
Like others, disappointed/surprised with the neck width. Better than the vintage models but still too narrow IMO. I have a Deuesenberg Double Cat 12 & it's neck width is 1 7/8" which is great.

Looking at specs it seems they are still persisting with the 5k bridge pickup & 7k neck which is the same combo on other guitars with these pickups. SMH, what to say...

Re the demo, I assume the tone is a result of amp settings, I would expect the guitar to be way brighter & have the potential for jangle in spades.

I certainly son't think that the order of the octave strings is the issue. Some say the Ricky method with octave strings on top causes more jangle - yeah, maybe a little, if you only play downstrokes. My DC 12 has teh same string order as the SFXII and has plenty of jangle. Didn't McGuinn play his Ricky 12 with fingerpicks so would have played a few upstrokes & thus hit the non-octave string first, at least on the 3rd & maybe 4th strings?

DrumBob

Reaction score
When I want the jangle, I reach for my Rick 360 12. Nothing comes close to the sound this one produces.

Ralph

You're right. Rick 12s rule. There's nothing else like them.

However, I spoke to Cordoba yesterday, and they are sending me a new Guild SF-XII in a few weeks for review in Vintage Guitar. I want to see for myself if this guitar can jangle.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
However, I spoke to Cordoba yesterday, and they are sending me a new Guild SF-XII in a few weeks for review in Vintage Guitar.

Show off!

I look forward to a Members Only discussion about what did not make it into the review :)

matsickma

Reaction score
I'll bet its a great guitar. My only concern is the open position neck width. I think the hard stop will be ok on a 12-string. The harps have a tendence for symphatic (did I spell that right?) vibration and resonances on the thinner strings. I sometimes would stuff a polish rag or other item under the strings when playing a '67 SF12. I still do it on occasion wirh a '72 SF4.
M

dbirchett

Reaction score
I would be particularly interested in a comparison to it's SPG cousin, the Gretsch 5422-12.

DrumBob

Reaction score
I would be particularly interested in a comparison to it's SPG cousin, the Gretsch 5422-12.

I played one a while back. A good friend of mine asked me to sell it for him. and I believe he secretly wished I would buy it, but it didn't compel me to open my wallet. The neck was nice and wide and it sounded decent, but it just didn't thrill me too much. I'm just not a Gretsch guy.