F-512 review and question

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
There's a review of the Cordoba/Oxnard made F-512 in the August Acoustic Guitar Magazine. No surprise they like it, still the king of 12s to me. I do have a question, though. It's not mentioned in the review nor on the Guild website, but I wonder if they are still using the single carbon fiber truss rod that was on the NH models, or if, given the review's stating that they honored the Guild 12-string tradition, they went back to the double truss rod of older models.
Brad
http://acousticguitar.com/gear-review-guild-f-512-12-string/

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
According to the posted specs it would be the same as in New Hartford used. ("dual-action truss rod").
Ralf

wileypickett

Reaction score
My recollection from the LMG tours is that New Hartford 12-strings were built with two carbon fiber rods on either side of the single truss rod.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My recollection from the LMG tours is that New Hartford 12-strings were built with two carbon fiber rods on either side of the single truss rod.

YES that was introduced in Tacoma and the "dual action" refers to the fact that the rod adjusts "positively" in either direction.
Old style rods only loosen or tighten to adjust bow or backbow.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Exactly right, Al. Around 2007, Tacoma stopped using the two, single-action rods and started using a single, dual-action rod flanked by two, fixed carbon rods. I'm not actually aware that the neck width changed at all, although TX's post earlier seems to indicate it might've.

The one-truss-rod necks were different, though, between New Hartford and Tacoma. It's a minor difference, but it was a different dual-action rod that was used.