Stills and his football jerseys

CA-35

Reaction score
I see a recurring theme in these pics of Stephen and I wonder what his affiliation is, if any, with these numbers and the football jerseys he seems to like?

A-236968-1294828049.jpeg.jpg

dude.jpg

csny_1.jpg

stephen-stills-performs-at-auditorium-theater-chicago-illinois-march-picture-id158517250

MI0002600086.jpg

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
FWIW

Stephen started wearing football jerseys on stage that year. The jerseys had a practical purpose—they were big and loose and perfect for a guitarist on stage. But they also were a statement. Remember, there were no NFL stores back then. All of those jerseys were originals, given to him by NFL players. I think for Stephen, they symbolized being in a stadium on a great team. There probably was a certain amount of irony there, too—he was a big football fan.

"that year" is 1974.

Article was sometimes behind the WSJ paywall for me and sometimes not. Go figure.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/crosby-stills-nash-young-and-the-first-big-stadium-tour-1403633596

Last edited:

MLBob

Reaction score
WSJ paywall blocked access to article for me , but I did find this from a Rolling Stone "Doom Tour" article:

Stills: "I had just come back from coral diving in Hawaii. I was tan and really cut. There's an album cover of a solo album [1975's Stills] shot at those rehearsals. I look at it now and go, 'I want that body back!"I wore football jerseys before it was cool. People like Jann Wenner would always ask me, 'What's with the football uniform?' I'd say, 'We're in a football stadium and they're loud and colorful. And I like football.' The next year Mick Jagger shows up with a Philadelphia Eagles uniform at a show."
rs-15753-20140619-stills-x600-1403186421.jpg

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Can you identify the different teams? Here's my guesses:

1st photo... Cleveland Browns
2nd photo... unidentifiable
3rd photo... UCLA Bruins
4th photo... San Diego Chargers
5th photo... LA Rams

Grassdog

Reaction score

3rd photo... UCLA Bruins
5th photo... LA Rams

I think the 5th might be a Minnesota Vikings (road jersey)

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Saw him with Judy Collins at the beautiful Smith Center here in Vegas back in November. Probably one of the best concerts ever. He sounded (guitar and voice) amazing even though he's almost stone cold deaf (he did a humorous little blurb about that) and she's sounding better than she ever has. He was wearing a smart looking SUIT so ...... I nothing to contribute.

p.s. - Judy looked ethereal with her white hair and white dress. When she GLIDED on stage at her age looking that amazing, my breath stopped for a minute!! So beautiful.

CA-35

Reaction score

3rd photo... UCLA Bruins
5th photo... LA Rams

Great stuff........I googled the numbers from the corresponding teams rosters mid seventies and this is my best guess as to the players whose numbers he is wearing.
Cleveland Browns #22 Clarence Scott
San Diego Chargers #19 Neal Jeffrey
Minnesota Vikings #41 Dave Osborn

No idea about pic #2 or #3