Ogd

Gamehenge757

Reaction score
I’ll be talking with him today, or possibly tomorrow. What is the thickness at the mid point described supposed to be? And any thoughts of the factory of manufacture for this guitar? Thanks for the insights and info! Not replacing the bridge could leave me some funds to rehab the frets that are extremely low

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am with Hans (of course), that bridge looks standard to me. i could send you photos of 5 or 6 others that look the same.

plus if the bridge was sanded, the rest of the guitar would likely be in a little better shape, because that would have meant at some point someone cared enough about it to work on it!

i'd call your luthier asap and tell him the bridge appears standard for the period after further research, and you want to keep it, even if it needs removal and reglue.

also Hans would have likely corrected me if I was wrong- its a 1970 "Hoboken design, built in Westerly." 1970 is my favorite year for Guilds (and for the Grateful Dead!)

enjoy the guitar. does it need a neck reset? if so I would do it at the same time as the refret. might not be something u need to repair immediately. I have more than one project instrument on the "back burner." my local luthier is fantastic and inexpensive for most things. but some stuff I would prefer to give to Tom Jacobs at Jacobs Custom guitars. Tom used to work in Westerly in the 70s, and is a master NCL finisher. he is not only authorized for repair by the current Guild guitar company, buy also recommended by them. if you are going to get a refinish (and a neck reset), i'd consider using Jacobs (aka "Fixit" on this forum). He will hand u back a brand new guitar, you wouldn't believe his work.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
ah I see Hans has confirmed while I was typing. finally I am correct about one. would be disgraceful at this point if I could not ID a 1970 Westerly Guild. I've bought more of them than I care to confess to! good luck with yours! it is worth the cost of a rebuild, if the guitar feels right. In 18 months she will be 50 years old! I say go for it, if it speaks to you.

Gamehenge757

Reaction score
Yeah the refret and neck reset will happen later down the road, and it had previously had repairs, just improper care for the last 20 years or so. I thought the bridge had been sanded as there is no lip where it meets the body in the rear of the bridge, essentially tapering down to the body, whereas my other guilds have a definable lip at the rear edge. A westerly guitar is just fine by me, two of my other guilds are westerly’s, my d4 and my f4ce, so if it had been one of the last Hoboken guitars would have been a win, one of the first westerly guitars is also a win!

Hans thanks for the specs, I’ll have him check that thickness before we do anything with the bridge. Might end up getting a bridge doctor if the bulge persists after rebracing and reglueing

wileypickett

Reaction score
This guitar has suffered more than a few indignities -- good on you for rescuing it GH757!

Whatever else you to to the rest of the guitar it, I'd leave the top alone (aside from getting the cracks repaired / braces replaced). I love the way the way the top looks, and the less you do to it, the closer it'll sound to the way it's 'sposed to sound.

Looking forward to seeing the end results!

Gamehenge757

Reaction score
Yup i like the weathered look as well! Yeah we are only fixing cracks and splits, and bracing to make it structurally sound again. I may lightly sand the neck to remove the lacquer bubbling, but nothing major as far as finish goes, at least not yet

Gamehenge757

Reaction score
Time to ressurect this thread. Got this old bird back today and she actually plays pretty well! All things considering that is

YfH9jsi.jpg

Gamehenge757

Reaction score
I’ll post a clip of how it’s sounding in the next few days. I think it sounds nice, weather worn and a little high and lonesome.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Man I dig the look of the top ! Coooool :)

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Agreed Ray!

I’ll post a clip of how it’s sounding in the next few days. I think it sounds nice, weather worn and a little high and lonesome.

Looking forward to that... the more I look the more I like... you done something splendid with that old Guild!