M-85 II Solid Body Tuning Keys Question

katthestar

Reaction score
That's a cool bass! I love the thumb rest. I've been tempted to add one to one of my basses. The purist in me says no, but my hand says "that might be more comfortable". I might put one on my Fender, if I do put any one.
I'm not much in the market for a bass right now. That M-85 II semi hollow project bass is in my thoughts, but I'm trying to convince myself that I would never need a semi hollow M-85 because I have a Starfire with Dark Stars. I like to think that's true (I'm pretty sure my wallet would love to believe it, too).
I actually looked at the M-85 at lunch today, and my coworker had to tell me no. She told me buying a bass in that shape is like buying a house with no walls. I disagree, but did think it was pretty funny.
I've also told myself I should wait until I'm in a band, but I said that before I bought my Starfire, and again before I bought the B-302A (which I have for sale on consignment), and finally, before I bought my Rickenbacker 4003 with my bonus from work.
Though I wouldn't mind playing that Betts bass, it looks beautiful.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a cool bass! I love the thumb rest. I've been tempted to add one to one of my basses. The purist in me says no, but my hand says "that might be more comfortable". I might put one on my Fender, if I do put any one.
I'm not much in the market for a bass right now. That M-85 II semi hollow project bass is in my thoughts, but I'm trying to convince myself that I would never need a semi hollow M-85 because I have a Starfire with Dark Stars. I like to think that's true (I'm pretty sure my wallet would love to believe it, too).
I actually looked at the M-85 at lunch today, and my coworker had to tell me no. She told me buying a bass in that shape is like buying a house with no walls. I disagree, but did think it was pretty funny.
I've also told myself I should wait until I'm in a band, but I said that before I bought my Starfire, and again before I bought the B-302A (which I have for sale on consignment), and finally, before I bought my Rickenbacker 4003 with my bonus from work.
Though I wouldn't mind playing that Betts bass, it looks beautiful.

I liked the thumb rest on my '67 Starfire, really liked it on my Newark Street Starfire so spec'd it for the Betts Bass. The Betts Bass was a target of opportunity. He made one for my nephew and it played well and his work was priced right so he got to make one for me.

I had been lusting after a hollow M85 for years without actually playing one. When I played Kurt's (below) I realized the sound was pretty much the same as my '67 Starfire and the ergonomics were not as comfortable. I've only made a serious run at one M85 since then and I think I am lucky that their price was firm and it sold while I was thinking about raising my offer.

1970aM-85Hollow.jpg

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I own the New Hartford GSR M-85-II. fully hollow, and closer to the Starfire body depth than the super deep late 60s semi solid/hollow M-85s. also much lighter than any other variant of the M-85, or Starfire basses.

duEkWu.jpg

4SsHIO.jpg