Help Selecting A Small Body Guild

Graytness

Reaction score
Here's the situation...

I currently have a '71 D-35 and a '65 F-30. The D-35 was my dad's and was given to me about 18 years ago. It was the first time I had ever heard of Guild guitars. I played that one a lot when I was just starting out in my early 20's. Along the way, I purchased a Taylor 312-CE (which I later sold) and then the F-30. The F-30 is absolutely beautiful, all original as far as anyone can tell (which includes Hans himself). However, as many of you know all too well, the action was pretty high as you moved down the neck, so I finally brought it to a luthier. I knew the bridge had to be reglued. I did not know it needed a full neck reset. The luthier also suggested redressing the frets. I was expecting to spend $500 +/-. I was off by about $1,400! Ugh. I could take it for another opinion, but I don't disagree with his assesment. I suppose I could find slightly cheaper prices, but I don't know if it's possible to get it under $1,200.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what I wanted to do and finally came to this conclusion. I am not going to do the work now because I just don't have the money at this time. I am not going to sell it though because I can't stand the thought of letting it go. Maybe in a year or so, I'll put the money into it and get it back to its former glory. I can't wait.

Until that time, I'm looking into getting a smaller body guitar (concert or auditorium) that I can use around the house, for traveling, etc. I'm only about 5'8" and don't have the biggest hands, which is why I'd like to get something with a smaller body. Because I have a beauty in the wings and am looking to spend around $600, I'm fine with something made in China. I'd obviously prefer an American-made Guild, but I don't think I'll find an M-20 or an F-20 in that price range.

I think I am leaning towards getting something new or new-ish and have narrowed it down to an M-120, M-140, or M-240. I'd be curious to hear some thoughts and opinions if anyone has any that is. I know the majority of posters here prefer the American-made models, as do I, but don't have the budget for it right now. I would say my playing style is about 50/50 fingerpicking and flatpicking.

Thanks!

geoguy

Reaction score
I strongly suggest checking with a different repair person. Given that to-do list of repairs (neck reset, fret dress, re-glue bridge), I would have expected a cost estimate of roughly $750.

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience to offer with the M-series models that you also mentioned.

Graytness

Reaction score
It did seem a little high, but I never had work like that done on a guitar so I had no idea what to expect. I think you're right though. I will bring it to another luthier in my area for a 2nd opinion.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could find slightly cheaper prices, but I don't know if it's possible to get it under $1,200.
HI Graytness, I think you probably read a lot more than you post, so I'm guessing you're aware of the difference between a "complete reset" in a place like California's high-cost-of living-and-doing-business major metropolitan areas, and a "reset only" in the lower cost of living parts of the nation.
It's a continuing source of differing opinions around here.
I suspect from your figure you're in one of the higher cost of living areas and want the whole 9 yards including getting the finish touched up and a good set up with free follow up adjustment if needed.
I agree I think it'll be about $1200.00.
That's still in the ball park here in Silicon Valley and that included a full refret not just getting 'em dressed, within the last 6 or 7 years.
$1900.00 including a bridge R&R and just a fret dressing does sound high for anywhere, though.
Just wanted to confirm your perceptions on that front.
No personal experience with any of the MIC models but had another idea:
I get you totally about smaller bodies and needing to keep something playable at hand, though.
Curious if you're close enough to music stores to shop 'em and possibly even see some consignment or used pieces for sale?
Guitar Showcase in San Jose has an entire separate building dedicated to that segment now, in case you're nearby.

Last edited:

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Some areas of the country prices are very high...other times prices are very high as the luthier would rather not work on a Guild...you might contact our member Tom Jacobs who posts here as 'fixit'...he formerly worked for Guild, is authorized by the current ownership to do work...and many members have sent him guitars (he's in Florida) for repair/restoration...everyone posts good opinions of his work and fair prices...can't hurt to send him a pic or two of the instrument and ask his preliminary opinion...good luck.

gilded

Reaction score
Graytness,

What City and Country do you live in? USA? Someplace else? Maybe somebody here could suggest an repair-man.

The main trick with re-setting a Guild neck is finding somebody who has done a few of them. The dove-tail location on many Guilds and some models and years of Gibson guitars is not consistent from guitar to guitar. You need a luthier who has danced that dance before.

Graytness

Reaction score
Adorshki,

Yes, I live in northern NJ. Not exactly the cheapest place in the U.S. According the estimate, the price was to:
1. Re-glue the bridge
2. Neck re set + ramping the finger board over the body
3. Full refret

I was just browsing some websites for other repair shops in my area and it seems like their prices are generally much less. I am going to bring it to another highly rated luthier in my area to see if his prices are considerably less. There are a number of music stores in my area. I will have to see which of those sell Guilds though. I'm also curious if they have those particular models in stock. For whatever reason, I expect the bigger chains to stock the more expensive Guilds, if they stock them at all.

Graytness

Reaction score
Graytness,

What City and Country do you live in? USA? Someplace else? Maybe somebody here could suggest an repair-man.

The main trick with re-setting a Guild neck is finding somebody who has done a few of them. The dove-tail location on many Guilds and some models and years of Gibson guitars is not consistent from guitar to guitar. You need a luthier who has danced that dance before.

I live in northern New Jersey. I had a pretty long conversation with the luthier and he seemed pretty familiar with Guilds. In fact, he said he had two guys in there picking up their Guilds and they were drooling over my F-30. They asked him if he thought I'd be interested in selling it.

geoguy

Reaction score
If you are located in NJ, then this shop might be worth considering. Perhaps a bit of a drive for you, but the owner is an occasional LTG participant and is very well-regarded by lovers of vintage Gretsch guitars in need of repairs or restoration. I can vouch that he does very nice work.

http://oldschoolguitar.net/about/

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I strongly suggest checking with a different repair person. Given that to-do list of repairs (neck reset, fret dress, re-glue bridge), I would have expected a cost estimate of roughly $750.

Sorry, I don't have any personal experience to offer with the M-series models that you also mentioned.

My estimate would be in the same general ballpark. $650 to $750 although I know prices can vary significantly in various parts of the country.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some areas of the country prices are very high...other times prices are very high as the luthier would rather not work on a Guild...you might contact our member Tom Jacobs who posts here as 'fixit'...he formerly worked for Guild, is authorized by the current ownership to do work...and many members have sent him guitars (he's in Florida) for repair/restoration...everyone posts good opinions of his work and fair prices...can't hurt to send him a pic or two of the instrument and ask his preliminary opinion...good luck.

I agree wholeheartedly with the recommendation that GuildFS4612CE has made. Here is the link to Tom's website. http://www.jacobscustomguitars.com/ They do some really Great work and like mentioned before Tom has plenty of experience with Guilds of your F30's Vintage as he used to work for Guild at Westerly back in the day. I have a lot of high end Guilds and one off guitars that I don't trust to just anyone to do the work on, especially major work like a reset or bridge reglue. I am also spoiled as I have an Amazing Luthier right here 5 minutes from the house that I have used for 20 years but if he couldn't do the work for any reason the only other person I would trust with my guitars is Tom at Jacobs Guitars. That is based off of the repair and restoration work I have seen them do including stuff posted here on the forum. I wouldn't hesitate to ship him one of my guitars in a minute if need be. Well worth your time to at least send him a pic or two and get an opinion on it. Best of luck and look forward to seeing that old F30 whipped back into shape!

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Adorshki,

Yes, I live in northern NJ. Not exactly the cheapest place in the U.S. According the estimate, the price was to:
1. Re-glue the bridge
2. Neck re set + ramping the finger board over the body
3. Full refret
Don't forget finish touchup because thy have to cut through it to break the neck loose, also similar potential need after regluing bridge.
Some shops flat out won't touch it (Nitrocellulose lacquer), but I assume you don't want any little unfinished details bugging you after paying for top dollar work. I wouldn't.
AS mentioned, forum member Fixit (Tom Jacobs in Fl.) can do all of that and receives universal high praise for his work here, and is reasonable, if you're willing to risk shipping, given the potential for carrier damage.
So for nobody's reported that problem and check with us for packaging tips if you do decide to go that route.
I was just browsing some websites for other repair shops in my area and it seems like their prices are generally much less. I am going to bring it to another highly rated luthier in my area to see if his prices are considerably less. There are a number of music stores in my area. I will have to see which of those sell Guilds though. I'm also curious if they have those particular models in stock. For whatever reason, I expect the bigger chains to stock the more expensive Guilds, if they stock them at all.
The problem with finding Guilds is just the opposite, Fender revamped their dealer base after the move to New Hartford.
Guitar Center wanted more than Guild could make, so they didn't carry US-builts; and the chains that did carry 'em got 'em in onesy-twosies.
Fender had tried to market the US Guilds through independants believing they would get better "attention" from the retailer but it probably shot them in the foot as they were perpetually hard to find.
Follow that up with almost a 2 year production gap between New Hartford's closure and Oxnard's first shipments, and you can get an idea of why there's not a lot out there to try out in person.
Seems I've seen more "New Guitar Day" posts based on internet purchases than real live store purchases for like, ever, now. .
The MIC instruments were (are) actually easier to find.
Good luck!

Last edited:

Eric P.

Reaction score
Another person to check is Bryan Kimsey. He lives out west and is a frequent contributor on the UMGF. Have known him a long time and will vouch for his work.

However you decide to do it, you should be able to get it done cheaper than what was quoted. Good luck in your search.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
sounds like your guitar would need an 800-900 $ job by my luthier on Long Island, but neck resets he does not turn around so fast. just message me if you are interested in exploring this.

Also I was in Root Note music in New Paltz yesterday- they had an M-240, an M-120, and a Junior Jumbo 6 strings all for sale.

Also, I can sell u a USA M-20 for 600. but it will not be pretty!

beecee

Reaction score
Also, I can sell u a USA M-20 for 600. but it will not be pretty![/QUOTE]

You don't mean the one on you have on Reverb?

docfishr

Reaction score
For MIC Guilds. The OM-240 can be had for under $400. I bought one a while back and it is a nice little guitar.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Also, I can sell u a USA M-20 for 600. but it will not be pretty!

You don't mean the one on you have on Reverb?[/QUOTE]

i don't have any guitars on reverb right now. the other one i put up on CL i can not sell for $600, that's a different one

Reaction score
The cost of good work is subject to so many variables that giving advice is pretty tricky, but I'll provide a data point: recently my '65 D-40 got a neck reset and a new bridge for a bit over $800--by one of the most experienced and gifted repair/restoration guys in Minnesota. Factors affecting that price: on the one hand, he said it was the most difficult reset he's ever done (in 35 years of repairing), and on the other he's a friend, so I might have gotten a slight discount. Hard to say. (I also added a bottle of decent Irish later when he did a relief tweak to satisfy his perfectionist side.)

He told me that Guilds are notoriously difficult to work on (and mine had had a less-than-perfect previous reset), which might well affect asking price on the part of any experienced technician.

If you're in the NYC metro area, one of the best repair/restoration guys in the nation is Tom Crandall of TR Crandall Guitars in the East Village. Tom's work queue is always long, and I suspect that his prices are not at the low end, but I can testify to his skill and honesty--whatever he says is necessary or possible will be necessary and possible, and if he suggests that the cost of repair will exceed the dollar value of the instrument, then you can believe him.

BTW, the money I invested in my D-40 reset makes that guitar a loser as a resale item--but I've owned it for more than 50 years, and money didn't come into the decision--that guitar will be in my estate, not on eBay.