Wish Me Luck

crank

Reaction score
I am changing the strings on my 412 today. First time ever... they have only been changed once since I got her almost 4 years ago and my luthier did that 2 years ago when I took her in to get a set up and a pickup installed.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am changing the strings on my 412 today. First time ever... they have only been changed once since I got her almost 4 years ago and my luthier did that 2 years ago when I took her in to get a set up and a pickup installed.

Marc, it's a lot easier than you might think (I was horrified doing my F512 the first time), but I can't recommend using the "Taylor method" highly enough. In many ways, it's actually easier with the slotted tuner posts.

F312

Reaction score
Marc, it's a lot easier than you might think (I was horrified doing my F512 the first time), but I can't recommend using the "Taylor method" highly enough. In many ways, it's actually easier with the slotted tuner posts.

I use the Taylor way for over 50 years now, but I don't cut the string but rather bend the string 90°, then thread, then pull up and start turning, after they're all on I snip. The strings come off very easy using this method. If you don't have a battery string gun, you don't know what your missing.

Ralph

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Luck-"When preparation meets opportunity." You are up to the opportunity Crank.

crank

Reaction score
Back from running errands. No more excuses, no more procrastination... must... change... strings....now.

I have been using the Taylor method since before I knew there was a Taylor method; which begs the question why is it called the Taylor method? Also have been used to the slotted tuners since I bought my Schecter in 1986. and I do find them easier and faster than regular pegs. Still 12 is a lot of string to change at one time!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ralph, I think my Ernie Ball Power Peg winder is super slow as well!! I changed the strings on Don's Avalon yesterday. The guys were installing the new sliding doors and I decided to tune it up. I went in and asked, "When was the last time you changed strings on your Avalon?" He said, "I dunno, how long have I had it now? A little over three years?" YIKES!! It's got the split saddle as well and the 1st and 2nd string always sounded "plinky" kinda like a banjo. So I shaved down an old flat pick and made a shim for under those two strings and VOILA!! Now they ring out clear and nice!!

Don also bought a Martin 12 string a while back (new) but who knows how long those strings have been on that thing since it was built, so I know I'm gonna have to tackle that one as well. Not looking forward to it. I have about a six string tolerance and after that I start to get cranky....... HEY!! I made a funny! CRANK-Y!!

I hope it goes smoothly my friend. I think I've got enough time for another string change before Happy Hour. I'd better get busy!! :encouragement:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I use the the Ray Ray method to change my strings . It works every time .

I do it all by hand and savor every moment every turn the gear aaaah the is sweet .

;)
Oh and good luck :)

Last edited:

Eric P.

Reaction score
Good luck. Another vote for the Taylor method, but with bending the string instead of cutting before stringing.

You did well. I've only done a year or two on a few guitars between changes. Old time guitarist Jim Nelson did 5 years before he changed his once. Mind you, that was before coated strings came into existence.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Good luck. Another vote for the Taylor method, but with bending the string instead of cutting before stringing.
Eric that's EXACTLY what I do!! I have my little needle nose pliers and once the string is cut, I do at LEAST a 90 degree bend before shoving in the hole. Then i wrap around and start winding!!! Works every time. If I have any extra sharp ends (hardly ever) I snip them off!! Done and done!! :encouragement:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So then you don't check in!! You never call, you never write!! I'm picturing a high e string through your eye.... OH GOD!! :confusion:

crank

Reaction score
So then you don't check in!! You never call, you never write!! I'm picturing a high e string through your eye.... OH GOD!! :confusion:

I know I'm sorry. All went well, though when I started to play it my hand hurt from so much string winding. I have one of those hand winders... maybe I should go powered.

Both the guitar and I survived intact. She sounds so much brighter!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I prefer to clamp the strings at about the 3rd fret with my capo while installing them, makes it easier to manipulate them into the tuners that way. This is crucial for changing strings on an electric with Bigsby-style hardware.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
With apologies to Tina Turner, what's luck got to do with it? Just put on some good music, pour yourself a drink...and change your strings.
That's the Killdeer method in a nutshell. I've been using it for 48 years and counting. Works for me. :friendly_wink:

Joe