Wish Me Luck

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know I'm sorry. All went well, though when I started to play it my hand hurt from so much string winding. I have one of those hand winders... maybe I should go powered.

Both the guitar and I survived intact. She sounds so much brighter!

:) I can't say my hands ever hurt after using the crank winder, even after doing a few 12s at a time, but a power winder seems like a good idea for stringing up 12ers (or multiple instruments). My only occasional problem with the Taylor method is that string 5 is so thin that it doesn't always catch and bend properly. A power winder would solve that problem.

Anyway, my bottom line is that I get a lot of joy from that clean/re-string experience. If it's not your cup of tea, Marc, feel free to drive that sucker up here anytime and I'll do it for you, buddy. :) :) Best wishes!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

crank

Reaction score
:) I can't say my hands ever hurt after using the crank winder, even after doing a few 12s at a time, but a power winder seems like a good idea for stringing up 12ers (or multiple instruments). My only occasional problem with the Taylor method is that string 5 is so thin that it doesn't always catch and bend properly. A power winder would solve that problem.

Anyway, my bottom line is that I get a lot of joy from that clean/re-string experience. If it's not your cup of tea, Marc, feel free to drive that sucker up here anytime and I'll do it for you, buddy. :) :) Best wishes!

It probably didn't help that I played a gig Friday night. I also jammed last night after the string change but both those were on my Telecaster. However ,this morning I played a local farmers market with the 412. 2.5 hours of almost straight playing and now the fingers are crying out for rest. This gig had no electricity available therefore no amplification therefore the 412 for max volume and full sound. This was the major impetus for the long overdue string changing.

How many guitars can I bring you at one time? lol

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, I've seen Stanley Jordan play two necks at the same time, Marc. :) Won't give you the VOLUME of a Guild 12string though. :)

F312

Reaction score
This may be the one, has variable speed; https://www.lowes.com/pd/BLACK-DECKER-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Screwdriver/50334925?cm_mmc=SCE_BINGPLA_ONLY-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-CordlessDrillsAndComboKits-_-50334925:BLACK_&_DECKER&CAWELAID=&kpid=50334925&CAGPSPN=pla{ifdyn:dyn}&k_clickID=45a59ae8-ea17-4ad5-a20f-8969fd7e4695&msclkid=b99457b7bbbd19733dfe0c98502f7ac4

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you changed your strings more often your hand wouldn't hurt using the winder. :tongue:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Anyone who knows how to spell "Marc" properly can't be all bad.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I use the the Ray Ray method to change my strings . It works every time .

I do it all by hand and savor every moment every turn the gear aaaah the is sweet .

Me too and I bet I could change 12 strings within any given month.