Del McCoury at Ryman Auditorium

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Attended Del McCoury Bluegrass concert at the Ryman Auditorium last night. Thursday night at the Ryman is Bluegrass night and heard two other groups. Had a group out front before doors opened and they were a very good Bluegrass group from North Carolina--"Carolina Express" - and the group that played an hour befor Del and his band came on stage - was "Billy Strings" band. They played a couple Bluegrass songs but they were more rock Bluegrass not Del McCoury Old Bluegrass. But I will say this, The President or Head Decision Maker for Guild needs to communicate with Billy Strings and get a Guild acoustic in his hand. Without a doubt, he is the BEST guitar player I have ever heard in person.
Even if you don't like that kind of music, you will be awestruck by his playing. And his Mandolin, Bass, and Banjo players are very impressive, also. If you get an opportunity to go hear Billy Strings--do it!

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I believe it's Billy Strings... and he is amazing!
Jaw-dropping performances are all over youtube, well worth checking out!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Attended Del McCoury Bluegrass concert at the Ryman Auditorium last night. Thursday night at the Ryman is Bluegrass night and heard two other groups. Had a group out front before doors opened and they were a very good Bluegrass group from North Carolina--"Carolina Express" - and the group that played an hour befor Del and his band came on stage - was "Jimmy Strings" band. They played a couple Bluegrass songs but they were more rock Bluegrass not Del McCoury Old Bluegrass. But I will say this, The President or Head Decision Maker for Guild needs to communicate with Jimmy Strings and get a Guild acoustic in his hand. Without a doubt, he is the BEST guitar player I have ever heard in person.
Even if you don't like that kind of music, you will be awestruck by his playing. And his Mandolin, Bass, and Banjo players are very impressive, also. If you get an opportunity to go hear Jimmy Strings--do it!

The Ryman is a cool place not doubt, but only if you're 5'8" or less. I think my rear end is still sore from a show I saw there in 2009!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The banjo player for Del McCoury is his son Rob who is our nephew by marriage to Lisa. The banjo Rob plays was built by Don's brother, Dave Kennedy who recently passed away. Rob also plays with the Traveling McCourys, which is the band without Del. Last time we saw them here in Vegas at Brooklyn Bowl, the guitarist was playing a Breedlove!! Works for me......

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Billy Strings and Del McCoury at the Ryman; what a great concert and a great venue!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Big fan of Del McCoury here! :encouragement:

I've seen him several times in concert. His band does a killer version of the Richard Thompson song "1952 Vincent Black Lightning". His other son Ronnie on mandolin is a terrific musician!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am a big fan of Del's, also and they did " 1952 Vincent Black Lightning." A
gree on his son being a great mandolin player.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not only is Ronnie McCoury a great mandolin picker, he was voted the IBMA #1 player in the country for 8 years in a row.

Their fiddle player, Jason Carter, is no slouch either :nevreness: