Wanna buy a nice little amp for $4K?

dklsplace

Reaction score
Am I missing something? Not seeing a picture or link?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a nice looking and sounding amp to be sure, but $4k? I think they need to pay back the loan they took out to make that gorgeous video!

I a also quite bothered by a production amp that has a name of "prototype".

MLBob

Reaction score
I am also quite bothered by a production amp that has a name of "prototype".

That's so the updated version can be "released" next year at 4.5 K :topsy_turvy: Boutique amps -tough business to survive in.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That way when selling it later you can say "It's one of the rare "Prototypes."

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
We used to take the old electrolytic capacitors and plug them into people's power strips at work, then when they switched on the power strip BANG! Sounded like a Black Cat firecracker. Ah, the good old days...

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
One thing that this video shows is that by using the right equipment (read: expensive), and employing good mike placement you can capture the essence of a guitar and amp combination for demo purposes on a You Tube video!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
We used to take the old electrolytic capacitors and plug them into people's power strips at work, then when they switched on the power strip BANG! Sounded like a Black Cat firecracker. Ah, the good old days...

Hah! I hope the "NOS capacitors" in this prototype run of amps don't include electrolytics, otherwise each one may come with its own built-in BANG!

-Dave-

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

Hello

We did that at Studer-ReVox in Switzerland in early -70s - not for long - the department boss caught us . . . later he gave me rise while my work had been good. Oh those days of youth . . .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And to think, I used to be a MILSPEC certified soldering instructor...

You woulda had the appropriate skills to build the Heathkit Home Nuclear Reactor Educational kit, which, to most folks' surprise, was far less complicated than the color TV.
:friendly_wink:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heathkit, great stuff. They had a killer stereo amp/receiver, but you had to build it, and the instructions needed to be followed explicitly!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Heathkit's best kit: They were based in Benton Harbor/St Joe Michigan, they get lots of snow. Of course their Boonie Bike kit had an optional front ski!

JEDP3bi.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
When I worked for 'em, these are what I always wanted:
1560652-heathkit-aa-1600-power-amplifier.jpg

AA-1600 2x125@8ohms and just about infinite headroom:.
1697725-heathkit-aa-1600-power-amplifier-excellent.jpg

1560651-heathkit-aa-1600-power-amplifier.jpg

Those heat sinks weighed about 15 lbs apiece or more all by themselves, the thing was massively heavy.

And the pre-amp:

heathkit_ap-1800_stereo_preamplifier.jpg

Before I became the assistant manager the guy I was training under bought the store demos just before he moved back to Michigan, because they were being replaced with new models.
While they were still on display though, he used to love to put on Dire Straits' "Money for Nothin' " at the zero decibel position through Heath's private-labeled version of Acoustic Research's venerable AR-15's.
You could hear it outside the store across the street.
:glee:

Duscussions on audiophile forums:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Board/index.php?/topic/8065-restore-of-heathkit-ap-1800/
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...thkit-aa-1800-amp-modern-preamp-question.html