Mexican Built Guilds

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Do any of you out there have any experience with any of the models built in Mexico??? I had a moment of weakness last night and bought a AF 50 RE. It has a gloss Spruce top, satin RW back (archback) and sides, RW board with dot inlays and RW bridge. Also has the Fishman Presys barn door electronics.

This one just kind of had the right look to me and I'm looking forward to see if I'll be happy or disappointed but at a minimum, the price was right.

I welcome any and all input from those of you that may have experienced any of the made in Mexico built Guilds.

dklsplace

Reaction score
Hey Richard, No experience with the Mexi Guilds, but plenty of experience with other Mexican built instruments, & more than happy with my Mexi Fender electrics. When Guild was in Corona, one of our forum members was part of that team & I'll never forget his comment regarding the quality of their stuff coming out of Mexico. It's amazing (kind of scary) when you realize that we have guys there that can build a world class instrument with a pocket knife.

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have one. 1998 Guild AO-3CE (MIM) It probably sat in the warehouse for a long time. So, maybe not the best example. It was unplayed when I got it.

Took it to my Luthier before I decided to keep it. Got a good report on it. Paid for a setup. It didn't have a HSC, it's a fabric backpacker kind of thing. I bought it as a "campfire" guitar, so wasn't expecting much. Sounded a little thin to my ear. Reminded me of a Taylor. (I know Taylor lovers cringe when they hear that, but I've sampled a lot of Taylors -- they always sound a little trebly to my ear... YMMV).

Arched back. Solid wood top. It had a grain mark that concerned me. I even pointed it out to my Luthier when I took it in. I wondered if it were a hairline crack. He looked closely and said, no it's just the way the grain is.

Winter set in and it cracked and separated right down that "grain". It's now in its case and awaiting a trip to repair shop get a cleat-fix.

YMMV. This wasn't a high end MIM. And I do think it was pretty dry when I got it. In retrospect, I think I should have popped for a Humicase for it to control its environment better.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Try searching on LTG (perhaps via Google in addition to the LTG search) for Arcos.

I think the people who had them liked them but not many people had them.

My local dealer sold more of the MIM Guilds than the MIC ones and thought they were better guitars but that may be a reflection of the market as well as the instrument.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Do any of you out there have any experience with any of the models built in Mexico??? I had a moment of weakness last night and bought a AF 50 RE. It has a gloss Spruce top, satin RW back (archback) and sides, RW board with dot inlays and RW bridge. Also has the Fishman Presys barn door electronics.

This one just kind of had the right look to me and I'm looking forward to see if I'll be happy or disappointed but at a minimum, the price was right.

I welcome any and all input from those of you that may have experienced any of the made in Mexico built Guilds.

The AF50RE sold for around $400-$500 brand new IIRC. Other OM and Dread style models sold for less. They were the "Arcos" Series made in Mexico that Fender was ramping up production on when they sold Guild to Cordoba in 2014. The Arcos series was supposed to be the affordable arched back Guild line since at the time the Chinese GAD versions were all flat back Guilds. Cordoba actually moved production of these Affordable Arched back Guilds to China and gave them the 200 series designation in their "Westerly Collection" import line. Interestingly enough when Fender sold Guild to Cordoba Fender retained responsibility for the Arcos series warranties if needed. Should be a great guitar for the beach or campfires etc... that still sounds good without the worry of messing up one of your more expensive models. Congrats and have a good one!

TX

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
No, not Madeira although I will say I owned a Jumbo Madeira Maple and also a Mahogany that were really great guitars. I wish I woulda kept the Maple.

marius

Reaction score
Do any of you out there have any experience with any of the models built in Mexico???
I had an AO-3CE that I sold a couple of months back...that reminds me I should update my signature. Build quality was really nice; it was fun to play and had A LOT of bass response which I'd attribute to the arched back. I'd compare it to, and choose it over, a Taylor 100 series.

I have one. 1998 Guild AO-3CE (MIM)

You might want to check your sound hole label on that one; the ARCOS series guitars were not introduced until 2012 as far as I know. You should have a serial number along the lines of MAR1234567; the consensus on these seems to be that the first 2 numbers are the year of manufacture.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't have the guitar yet but looking at the listing it looks like a serial # of MAB1406020. (Maybe the B is an R though, tough to tell on the pic). Jumbo body style.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You might want to check your sound hole label on that one; the ARCOS series guitars were not introduced until 2012 as far as I know. You should have a serial number along the lines of MAR1234567; the consensus on these seems to be that the first 2 numbers are the year of manufacture.
Don't recall exactly when they were introduced myself except it was during New Hartford period, 2012 sounds right.
Definitely didn't exist in '98.

marius

Reaction score
I don't have the guitar yet but looking at the listing it looks like a serial # of MAB1406020. (Maybe the B is an R though, tough to tell on the pic). Jumbo body style.

I believe the 3rd character changed depending on the model. "MAR" was specifically in reference to PittPastor's AO-3CE.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@ PittPastor: A 1998 Guild AO-3CE is not possible as the model was only introduced in 2012.

Here's a repeat of some history: "Arcos" is Spanish for "arches" (since they were made at FMIC/Guild in Ensenada/Mexico) and is referring to the arched back of the Arcos series.

The Guild Arcos series was first introduced at NAMM 2012.
Here's the first 2012 press release: http://guildguitars.com/guild-introduces-new-arcos-series-acoustics/
37 pictures of the former factory can be seen here: https://www.guitarworld.com/features/fender-mexico-turns-25-factory-photo-tour

There were initially 3 Arcos models (AD-3, AD-3CE and AO-3CE) featuring laminated mahogany sides and arched back with a solid sitka spruce top.

In 2013 two more models were added, AD-5CE and AO-5CE featuring laminated rosewood sides and arched back.

In 2014 the AF-50E (maple) and AF-50CE were the added jumbo size models and even a bass was added, the AB-52E: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...New-Arcos-Series-AB-52E-Electro-Acoustic-Bass
The last model before production was shut down was the arched laminated rosewood version AF-50RE.

Production of the Arcos line in the FMIC plant in Ensenada stopped when CMG bought Guild from FMIC.

See also here: http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?169776-New-for-2012-Guild-introduces-new-ARCOS-series-Acoustics&p=1503945&viewfull=1#post1503945

Ralf

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Richard,

I don't have much experience to add to the earlier posts. Never had a chance to play an Arcos series instrument. However, before they started making those archbacks there, they were making the DV-4 (mahogany) and DV-6 (rosewood) models. I got to play several of those models. I remember loving the sound of the DV-4 and playability of both. The instruments were extremely "raw" though. And, on at least one of them, I remember thinking that the headstock crown looked like it had been cut with a bandsaw by an amateur.

Anyway, I guess none of that is relevant for the Arcos series. :) Sorry, tried to help. Good luck, Richard. Hope you enjoy it.

Big-Al

Reaction score
I owned an Arcos AD-3 for a while. It was a slightly upgraded example with a gloss top and a little fancier rosette than usual. World Music supply had a number of them on closeout right after Guild was sold to Cordoba and I snapped one up at a very attractive price.

The build quality and playability were very good. The neck was a little different than I've seen before, glued up from a stack of 3/4" boards if I recall correctly, but it was straight and it had a comfortable profile.

The tone was reasonably good, but not jaw-dropping. I'd compare it to a Taylor 110. I think the tone might have been a little fuller than the newer arched back models from China, but I never played them side by side to say for sure. I like the sound of the all-solid MIC Guild guitars better. After I found another spectacular deal on a closeout D-125 from Sweetwater, I sold the Arcos. The guy who bought it seemed to like it a lot.

Last edited:

dougdnh

Reaction score
Funny this topic just came up. I'm basically a lurker here who is a big fan of Guild since I picked up a 2000 bluesbird a few years ago. Anyhow, I was looking for a knock around small body accoustic and i wound up with an AO-5ce, which just arrived today. So far so good, exactly what i was looking for. Beautifully made, easy to play, and sounds pretty good. I really like the 1 3/4' nut - do all Guilds have that? Next to my Martin dred, it can hold its own, and it's actually more fun to play. I'm guessing these are a step above the newer mic models? I wonder how they stack up against the martin mim guitars. I really couldn't find out much about the arcos series on the web, but i think i lucked out with this baby, and it was $400 in near mint condition.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Funny this topic just came up. I'm basically a lurker here who is a big fan of Guild since I picked up a 2000 bluesbird a few years ago. Anyhow, I was looking for a knock around small body accoustic and i wound up with an AO-5ce, which just arrived today. So far so good, exactly what i was looking for. Beautifully made, easy to play, and sounds pretty good. I really like the 1 3/4' nut - do all Guilds have that? Next to my Martin dred, it can hold its own, and it's actually more fun to play. I'm guessing these are a step above the newer mic models? I wonder how they stack up against the martin mim guitars. I really couldn't find out much about the arcos series on the web, but i think i lucked out with this baby, and it was $400 in near mint condition.

I think, at the time, the Arcos was positioned as a step up from the contemporary MIC Guilds. I'm not sure that would be true compared to today's MIC Guilds. There are a lot of Guilds with 1 11/16" nut width so you will have to check before you but your next Guild.

You might want to check out the links in the post a few above.

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...Built-Guilds&p=1808035&viewfull=1#post1808035

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well, that was kind of the point. I'd never played one before, never heard one before and in fact, had never seen one (in person) before. Since 95% (or more) of my buying is done on-line I was looking for comments from anybody who'd ever had experience (positive or negative) with them.

I did get a lot of helpful feedback and I thank ya'll for that.