older starfire IV walked through the door today (NGD)

ianb

Reaction score
and i'm crazy about it.
looks to me to be about a 97 mahogany with sd-1's. how far off base am i?
Bungi0x.jpg

1DWD9Cl.jpg

HX5TMSq.jpg

6RIkUlL.jpg

the sound and feel are just off the charts great.i'm guessing the mahogany sf4's are few and far between? or have i just not been paying attention?

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
and i'm crazy about it.
looks to me to be about a 97 mahogany with hb-1's. how far off base am i?

the sound and feel are just off the charts great.i'm guessing the mahogany sf4's are few and far between? or have i just not been paying attention?
I have the same guitar, maybe a littler earlier, serial No AG000922. They are SD-1s, not original HB-1s, same in my guitar. FWIW, they are same size as HB-1s , at least I dropped some HB-1s in without modification.

ianb

Reaction score
I have the same guitar, maybe a littler earlier, serial No AG000922. They are SD-1s, not original HB-1s, same in my guitar. FWIW, they are same size as HB-1s , at least I dropped some HB-1s in without modification.

OH!!! durrr... had hb-1's on the brain today.fixed my post.is yours maple?

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow... seems we're in SF-IV acquisition mode right now on LTG! Nice indeed, congrats!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very nice! I bet you have a hard time putting that down. It’s gorgeous!
I have a maple one; same PU’s. I really like the SD-1’s; no desire to swap them out.

ianb

Reaction score
Very nice! I bet you have a hard time putting that down. It’s gorgeous!
I have a maple one; same PU’s. I really like the SD-1’s; no desire to swap them out.

i agree - guild made some beautiful stuff for sure.
i have hb-1's in another guitar and these sd1's sound pretty great in comparison to me. they're a tad dark in the neck spot with this particular guitar but it seems to work well for smokier, jazzy things.they will definitely be staying in here.

Zelja

Reaction score
holy crap,they're twinsies!!!!
That's a nice looking guitar you have there!! :)
Thanks! Came to me in pretty pristine condition. The only thing that bugs me is the pickguard is too close to the high E string & gets in the way for me. I was thinking of getting another pickguard and modding it such that it doesn't sit high on the bridge pickup ring. Foe now, just loosening the screw on the bracket & pushing the back of the pickguard away from the strings seems to be manageable.

Re pickups, I found the SD-1s to be pretty good but replaced them with HB-1s. My thoughts are that the bridge HB-1 is a better fit for what I am after - seems to have a nit more brightness/character. Conversely I thought the neck SD-1 was a bit clearer than the HB-1 on first impression, which I prefer. I may have to revisit these options to be sure. Was also thinking of maybe experimenting with some TV Jones variants for a different flavour as I have a few S100s with HB-1s.

Enjoy your new acquisition!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No hog, same colour as yours & I believe I tracked it to being a 1997.

Zelja, what's the color code on yours?
I was scratching my head a bit on the "CRT" on Ian's guitar, thinking it might have been a label error, but reviewed the Guild section of Fender's 2001"Frontline" catalog this AM and saw a "Claret" listed above the color chart as one of the colors "not shown" on the chart.
So wondering if that was translated to show as Claret Red Transparent in '97?
It seems close but not quite the same as good ol' "Transparent Red" but previously I only remember seeing that ID'd as "TPR", on acoustics. .
Thus my guess about "Claret"
Wonder if Hans could help?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I've had many Starfires with TPR on the label.
Thanks.
Not being as well versed on 'leccies, my primary memory is of rarely seeing labels at all, let alone a color code.
I guess they can be a littler trickier to photograph than acoustic labels.
Are you gonna be visiting Hans today?
:emmersed:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I’m in a different country. Again.

Also, I'll donate a Starfire if you stop using the term, 'leccies. :wink: (not really)

Last edited: