I’m back! (F47m on the way)

Bronsky

Reaction score
I’m back! (F47m on the way)

Hi there.
I don’t expect anyone will remember me, but I remember you guys.
I hung around for a bit about two or three years ago when I bought an F30R.

Well I sold the f30r after a year. Not the most inspired guitar decision I ever made, but I was having a bit of a grand epiphany, realising that I’m more of a Mahogany kind of guy.
You know those moments, when you find something that plays or sounds or feels better than what you’re used to, and suddenly every guitar you own is on the chopping block? I can’t be the only one...

Anyway, whenever I get too nostalgic about that F30 I remind myself that the guitar that came after it, a Gibson J45, is a fantastic instrument, and i could’ve never bought it if it wasn’t for the sale of the Guild. :mrgreen:

But today I pulled the trigger on an F47m!
It’s a sunburst finish made in New Hartford.
It was a bit random I must say, but the price was right, the guitar looks great, and I have had a jumbo itch for a while now, but all the J-200 I came across were too damn expensive, and the few j-185 I’ve seen for sale sounded -how to put this delicately?- less than great.
I plan to use it for playing out, as I’m gonna be in charge of an open mic night in a local bar after the summer.
I guess I’ll put a baggs M1a pickup on it, as they are robust, easy to install and do a serviceable job for a wide range of playin styles.

So I’m happy to be back in the Guild owners family, and I’ll make sure to share some pics when I receive the guitar, hopefully sometime next week.

bobouz

Reaction score
Welcome back, and congrats on your F-47m purchase!

Just a thought regarding J-185s: Over the years, I've heard a number of folks comment on them sounding a bit thin, but there are some very good ones out there. In 2001, I ran across one I should have bought, but didn't because the price seemed a little too high at the time. Next opportunity was in 2012, and this time it came home with me. The narrow-waisted, short scale 16" body is rather unique & very comfy - and a good one can sound incredibly rich & balanced, so always keep the door open!

Bronsky

Reaction score
I once heard someone comparing the sound of j185s to that of archtops ; fast decay, prominent mid-range,a bit of a choked voice.
I’ve come to agree with that view, but if I ever find one that sounds like a j200 in a smaller package I’ll certainly think long and hard about taking it home... But I’m hoping the F47m will get me somewhere close. :smug:

Last edited: